** FLSharkvictim / Custom Rimless SCA 150 Build ***

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** Got a new update ***
My new #NYOS #TORQ media reactor and base has shipped out from https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/ and I should have it on either Saturday or Sunday - YAHOOO.
Anyone on here every tray the NYOS Activated Carbon by chance and what were your thoughts about it?
upload_2019-1-11_11-4-17.png

Here are some pictures of the new #TORQ in the 3 different models they come in: I chose the little one likwe I mentioned earlier in my thread, only since I will be running BRS ROX 0.8 Carbon.

Here is the pump and how gets installed.
upload_2019-1-11_10-53-17.png

upload_2019-1-11_10-52-34.png

upload_2019-1-11_10-53-50.png

upload_2019-1-11_10-55-9.png

upload_2019-1-11_11-3-52.png

I’m interested in your thoughts on the reactor, I have a bashsea but I stopped using it and just put carbon in a bag in the sump now because it was a bit of a pain to change out.

As for the orphek mine is mounted from the ceiling 16” above my tank. I bought it for a tank I never bought (I was planning a 3’ x 2’ x 18” deep build but went with a nuvo 25 instead that I ended up putting a new kessil over) so it is over my nano right now so I can’t really tell you how it would work on a bigger tank like yours. My personal opinion is that you should go with 2 full size fixtures over your tank. The full size is not that much more than the compact and with the panel style of the orphek you would essentially have the same light diffusion that you get from T5’s. The panels are 9” deep so lots of coverage that way as well but if you did see any shadowing down the line you can easily add their new OR light strips (which I hear they are working on a dimmer for). The fact you are going to mount them lower than what orphek recommends (their recommendation is for light blending I believe) also is a good reason for the bigger panels.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested in your thoughts on the reactor, I have a bashsea but I stopped using it and just put carbon in a bag in the sump now because it was a bit of a pain to change out.

As for the orphek mine is mounted from the ceiling 16” above my tank. I bought it for a tank I never bought (I was planning a 3’ x 2’ x 18” deep build but went with a nuvo 25 instead that I ended up putting a new kessil over) so it is over my nano right now so I can’t really tell you how it would work on a bigger tank like yours. My personal opinion is that you should go with 2 full size fixtures over your tank. The full size is not that much more than the compact and with the panel style of the orphek you would essentially have the same light diffusion that you get from T5’s. The panels are 9” deep so lots of coverage that way as well but if you did see any shadowing down the line you can easily add their new OR light strips (which I hear they are working on a dimmer for). The fact you are going to mount them lower than what orphek recommends (their recommendation is for light blending I believe) also is a good reason for the bigger panels.

Many thanks for your opinion which is highly appreciated @lbacha but after talking to one of the Crew members @Bulk Reef Supply , one of the Techs said the Compacts would be a absolute perfect fit for my tank spec is 5ftx2ftx2ft/
I will be placing my order for a pair of those @Orphek Atlantik Compact V4 (Gen 2) LED fixtures tonight after work.
Also, I will be getting there Gateway which provides a connection between the Atlantik V4 (Gen 2) light and your homes wireless router.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the Nyos #TORQ media reactors, I JUST tracked it and according to UPS it will be here tomorrow or on Monday. I ordered the small one thats 0.75 since I will only be running BRS ROX 0.8 Carbon since I will be running a Turbo Algae Scrubber from Turbo Aquatics. All I know about these new #TORQ REACTORS I have read nothing buy good reviews not to mention I seen it in person and how well this reactor performed @ Reef-A-Palooza 2018 in Orlando last year and I was instantly fell in love with theses reactors. I will post some pictures as soon I receive my reactor.

PER UPS:
Your package is on time with a scheduled delivery date of 01/12/2019
Scheduled Delivery: 01/14/2019
Shipped To: FL, US
UPS Service: UPS 2nd Day Air®
Weight: 5.0 lbs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ones I spend another 2K for my lighting system for my SCA 150 build. Ones, I get these lights from BRS, MY **** FLSHARKVICTIM CUSTOM RIMLESS SCA 150 BUILD will be completed *****
I was not sure this journey would ever end and that was just selecting all of the gear I specifically wanted. Did not want to cut any corners since this could be my last build!

upload_2019-1-11_12-55-10.png

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for your opinion which is highly appreciated @lbacha but after talking to one of the Crew members @Bulk Reef Supply , one of the Techs said the Compacts would be a absolute perfect fit for my tank spec is 5ftx2ftx2ft/
I will be placing my order for a pair of those @Orphek Atlantik Compact V4 (Gen 2) LED fixtures tonight after work.
Also, I will be getting there Gateway which provides a connection between the Atlantik V4 (Gen 2) light and your homes wireless router.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the Nyos #TORQ media reactors, I JUST tracked it and according to UPS it will be here tomorrow or on Monday. I ordered the small one thats 0.75 since I will only be running BRS ROX 0.8 Carbon since I will be running a Turbo Algae Scrubber from Turbo Aquatics. All I know about these new #TORQ REACTORS I have read nothing buy good reviews not to mention I seen it in person and how well this reactor performed @ Reef-A-Palooza 2018 in Orlando last year and I was instantly fell in love with theses reactors. I will post some pictures as soon I receive my reactor.

PER UPS:
Your package is on time with a scheduled delivery date of 01/12/2019
Scheduled Delivery: 01/14/2019
Shipped To: FL, US
UPS Service: UPS 2nd Day Air[emoji2400]
Weight: 5.0 lbs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ones I spend another 2K for my lighting system for my SCA 150 build. Ones, I get these lights from BRS, MY **** FLSHARKVICTIM CUSTOM RIMLESS SCA 150 BUILD will be completed *****
I was not sure this journey would ever end and that was just selecting all of the gear I specifically wanted. Did not want to cut any corners since this could be my last build!

upload_2019-1-11_12-55-10.png

I agree the 2 compacts are probably plenty as they are pretty powerful lights, I like to go overboard (more is better lol) just look at my nano
393901163cff1444f44470ea61b27902.jpg

You are going to love the orpheks the color they provide is amazing. You can run them at 100% on all channels and they still looks good (something most lights can’t do) which means no wasted wattage. I’m actually happy I was able to almost match the Kessil 360x to my orphek as my wife told me I had to make it look the same lol.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** BRAND NEW UPDATE ON MY LIGHTING ***

SUCCESS! Congrats on your new gear from @Bulk Reef Supply I just pulled the trigger on my Orphek LED Lighting for the new build! I ended up going with a pair of there #Atlantik #Compact V4 (Gen 2) LED fixtures.
I will be aiming at an all #SPS #Dominate type tank! #NEW#LEDS #SPS #NEWBUILD

Orphek Atlantik Compact V4 (Gen 2)
Orphek-Atlantik-V4-gen2.png

Orphek Atlantik Compact V4 (Gen 2)
orphek-atlantik-v4-compact_1.png

Orphek Atlantik Mounting legs
orphek_mount_arm_LED_aquarium.jpg

A short video:

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** New Update ***
Some goodies showed up from @Bulk Reef Supply .. Many thanks for shipping out my order as fast as possible.

upload_2019-1-12_12-39-27.png

APEXEL incl a Ph lab probe, Salinity Probe,
upload_2019-1-12_12-39-54.png

Ok, I have jumped ship back over to #Neptune #ApexEL aquarium controllers and was lucky enough to be able to find one lucky buyer for all my ProfiLux 4 Ulitmate set which included a ton of extras! Also, I got the #Neptune #LMK #MODULE w/ two low profile leak detectors.

For my next update, I will be getting into how I am going to install & mount my Aquarium controller and all of my power supplies. Plus, I have 4 EcoTech Marine controllers and one Reef Octo Controller for my Protein Skimmer. I am planning on having a company out of CAL called #Build #Obsessions, which is one of the top sump MFG's in the industry that I am working on to build me a custom Acrylic Panel to install all my power supplies and my Controllers to. I am aiming to have BOA build something like this but a little bigger to fit in what every cabinet I decided on going with to put all of my equipment in.

Acrylic Panel
upload_2019-1-12_13-19-17.png

Or have BOA custom build me something like this!

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 2.18.23 PM.png

Last edited:

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. Are you going to
Leave the black egg crate that you have between the glass and the rock in the tank?

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. Are you going to
Leave the black egg crate that you have between the glass and the rock in the tank?

@jrizo1 - Abssotley not, I already have around 9 bags of #Tropic Eden mixed with #MessoFlakes and #ReefFlakes.
I wanted my substrate not blowing around like a tornado, especially since I will have a lot of flow in the tank, so I went with a lot of larger granules.

Example of Tropic Eden differnti sizes Substrate
Tropic Eden Types of Live sand.jpg

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are going for an SPS dominant tank did you consider bare bottom so you can really crank the flow

Great Question mate but unfortunately, I maybe an old schooler but I am not into bare bottom tanks! It just feels like something is missing in a reef tank without any substrate in my opinion. Please don't get me wrong, there are tons of amazing looking tanks with out zero substrate its just the fact its not for me.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Question mate but unfortunately, I maybe an old schooler but I am not into bare bottom tanks! It just feels like something is missing in a reef tank without any substrate in my opinion. Please don't get me wrong, there are tons of amazing looking tanks with out zero substrate its just the fact its not for me.

I was the same way 25+ years of sand in my reefs was hard to get away from. The first time I went bare bottom was my current setup and now I really don’t mind the bare bottom.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build so far. Wish I would have saved up and got the 150 over the 120. Lol I’m very curious to see how those led fixture work out for ya. I’ve see. A few friends with sps dom tanks running razors.

Many thanks @Lilmatty5dimes its coming along - I should have MY Orphek ATLANTIK COMPACT V4 (GEN 2) LED LIGHT FIXTURES by mid next week some time, I am so excited about these WIFI led lights :) Currently I am working with the MFG for the correct tank mounts.

50140804_10218720652636143_6863801357590069248_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was fooling around with my #Synergy External Oveflow box and the drains last night and I was wondering how I am going to run my 1.5inch PVC SCH 40 plumbing under my cabinet /
Does this make sense - when I go to plug in the pumps which will be being my 150 , most likely I am going to want to be able to adjust my valves behind the tank vs having your gate valve under the tank?
What are you thoughts, should I run the Gate Valve up under the cabinet on the way down to the sump or should I plumb it like the pix below?

1.5 DRAINS 3.jpg

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was fooling around with my #Synergy External Oveflow box and the drains last night and I was wondering how I am going to run my 1.5inch PVC SCH 40 plumbing under my cabinet /
Does this make sense - when I go to plug in the pumps which will be being my 150 , most likely I am going to want to be able to adjust my valves vs have your gate valve under the tank?
What are you thoughts, should I run the Gate Valve up under the cabinet on the way down to the sump or should I plumb like the pix below?

1.5 DRAINS 3.jpg

I’ve heard gate valve as close to the sump as possible is better for starting the siphon. The reasoning is since the restriction point is lower it is easier to force the air out. Not sure it matters once the siphon is formed

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** NEW APEX PANEL UPDATE ***
I know a lot of people have been asking what and where am I going to be mounting all of my power bricks and Apex gear and all of the 8 controllers for powerheads, return pumps, etc.

After doing a lot of research, I came across this at @MarineDepot, Panel that they are selling just for this application. Aquarium Controller Board Mounting System offers a complete solution to help you mount and organize all the controllers and various equipment you use on your aquarium. The 1/2" thick panel is made of a strong yet lightweight plastic material that can be cut, drilled and sanded just like wood making it easy to attach just about any aquarium controller, power supply, or piece of equipment that will fit on the board. Included mounting brackets allow you to quickly remove the face of the board giving you access to the back of the board where all your power cords and cables will be stored and organized. A convenient mounting template is included to help you quickly drill and mount the entire controller board to your tank stand or wall.
The LED backlight is also included and adds some extra flare to your aquarium, making it easy to see under your tank stand when performing maintenance.
The Deluxe Aquarium Controller Board features 13 cut-outs with caps to conveniently thread your cords to the back of the board where any excess cord can be neatly wound and bound to one of the three zip tie rails located on the back of the board. These zip tie rails also make it easy to secure power supplies to keep them up off the ground and away from water. You will also be able to hide away that nasty mess of cords, help prevent hazardous situations and make it easier for you to access and maintain your equipment. A shelf accessory is available and sold separately. The shelf makes it easy to mount your dosing pump or hold additives and dosing containers. The controller board can accommodate up to three shelves.
What I like about the prefab electrical panels, that they are waterproof & Fireproof. I myself got the deluxe version with LEDs lighting just b/c I am mounting 2 -832 Neptune energy bars, 4 EcoTechMarine controllers, 2 TUNZE Controllers, 1 Reef Octo Controller for the protein skimmer, and my 2 or 3 Apex modules, the (LMK OR THE WXM) TO CONTROL my Vortechs MP40'qwds powerheads on the SCA 150. Many thanks, @MarineDepot for coming up with this idea for us reefers who may not be so handy on building their own cabinet for your of your electrical gear. I will take pics as soon as the order comes in. Also, I added the link below for the two different sizes they come in. Much easier for me than a DIY solution.
Again, just an illustration of my panel will look like!!!

SPECS:
Specifications:
  • Face Size: 25.25" H x 16.25 W
  • Thickness: 3.5"
  • Inside Zip Tie Tracks: 4
  • Inside Shelf: 2
  • Hole size A: 1.25" x 3"
  • Hole size B: 1.25" x 6"

Deluxe-Aquarium-Controller-Board-Mounting-System-with-Wireless-LEDs-Marine-Depot-97.jpg

Deluxe-Aquarium-Controller-Board-Mounting-System-with-Wireless-LEDs-Marine-Depot-99.jpg

Deluxe-Aquarium-Controller-Board-Mounting-System-with-Wireless-LEDs-Marine-Depot-96.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update on my mounts for my lighting:

Just picked up the mounting kits for my lighting system form #Orphek DIRECT. Unfortunate these are sold separately but they are made solid.

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?
1 – (2 units) Aluminum alloy vertical tank mount bracket / Dimension: 785mm x 34mm x 8mm / 30.9” x 1.32” x .31” 2 – (2 units) Aluminum alloy light support bar / Dimension:30mm x 34mm x 8mm / 8.97” x 1.32” x .31” 3 – (2 units) Aluminum tank clamps / Dimension:50mm x 41m / 5.85” x 1.59” 4 – (2 units) Plastic glass protector sheets 5 – (8 units) M8 20mm stainless steel socket head screws 6 – (4 units ) M6 16mm stainless steel socket head screws 7 – (4 units) M4 66mm stainless steel socket head screws 8 – (2 units) M6 8mm stainless steel socket head screws 9 – (2 units) Socket head wrench for M6 and M8 screw

Orphek-aquarium-lighting-Mounting-Kits_2058-1-2-1600x1060.jpg

BOX # 1
Orphek-aquarium-led-lighting-mounting-arm-kit_3583-1600x1060.jpg

BOX # 2

Orphek-aquarium-led-lighting-mounting-arm-kit_3583-1600x1060.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I would like to share the experience I had over the weekend with Orphek a company who makes very good quality lighting systems for coral and SPS type tanks! who is in a different country! Remember, you most companies will not even get back to you on the weekend let along get a response out of them. I first sent in an email into a sales rep and within 8 hrs, Mr James there main US sales rep got right back to me and went over all of my tank mounting options on a Saturday evening grant you! I was very impressed with my whole entire experience with the manufacture of my two compact Orphek led lights that I will be hanging over my tank with these tank mount brackets. I did not realize, there are no distributors that sell these specific mounting brackets that I wanted to, I had to custom order them direct! Per James, I would have an invoice sent to me on Monday morning, no later and BOOM & there was my invoiced me @ 5 am that Brenda from #ORPHEK sent me!! Very professional and solid customer service is what I love about this company!

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back