** FLSharkvictim / Custom Rimless SCA 150 Build ***

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** BOOOMMM - THE EAGLE HAS LANDED FROM CALI **

My CL-44 #Synergy Sump and Matching ATO reservoir have been received and 1 word - WOW!
I mean this sump is built like a tank and the acrylic craftsmanship is Above & Beyond along w laser etched numbers.
cropped-MadeUSA-150x150.png

Drum ROOOOLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;Singing;Singing;Singing;Singing;Singing;Singing;Singing;Singing;Singing
IMG_1028.JPG

IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG

Looks good, are you running a macro reactor, algae scrubber, Or an external fuge. Or no algae at all.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Z3speed4me - I went with the smaller version since I will only be running @Bulk Reef Supply ROX0.8 Carbon since I will be running one of Buds Turbo Algae Scrubbers.
See I had Synergy make some slight modifications in order for my Turbo Scrbbuer to fit on the sump. I had Synergy make some slight modifications for me to fit the scrubber on top of my sump.

NYOS TORQ
TORQ2.jpeg

Synergy custom Brackets for my L-2 Turbo Scrubber

scrubberbrackets.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to work on some wire management for my saltwater mixing station, since I pretty much had RODI lines running everywhere. LOL..
i NEED to make some minor adjustments and run another 6 ft raceway wire track and this job will be completed.

Wire Magnt#2.jpeg

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEW UPDATE ON MY 150 BUILD,

I sold off all of my GHL Gear and now I will be switching back over to all Apex gear! Did not really care for on how GHL runs there cloud based platform vs Apex how they run theirs.
I am more of a MAC guy vs a PC guy even know you can still use a MAC but it's a pain in the royal butt in my opinion. I will be ordering my Neptune DOS from @Bulk Reef Supply which is for my AWC's that gets all connected to my mixing station.
For now, I will use my Eshoops IV Master for dosing my additives like Alk, Cal and Mag.

DOS Dosing and Fluid Metering System
DOS_1-650x650.jpg

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's talk a little about how I am going to be running my returns on my SCA Rimless 150. At first, I was going to just sell my #EcoTech Marine Vectra M1 and just buy 1 EcoTech Marine Vectra L1's for more flow.
Decided to change my mind, go figure! I am going to be running for now 1 new ApexCOR20 return pump & 1 EcoTeach Marine Vectra M1 return pump. One pump for each return.
I think More redundancy never hurts in a build like this one! They are both rated for up to 2000gph! How many of you all run two Return pumps, if so, please let us know what you are running? #2returnpumps.
Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 8.38.17 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a new Update!

I worked a little on my control panels and placing everything where I want it and a course a little wire management!

Here is a pic of my #Apex Control Panel
IMG_1276.JPG

& a pix of #MP40s / my #Tunze6055's Nanostreams control Panel
IMG_1273.JPG

Last edited:

Henry81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finishing up my sca rimless 150 now. I run one varios 6 direct to dt and another one on the backside of my reactor. Ive plumbed them where if someting happens and one pump goes offline. I can still run everything off one pump, plus i left a port for frag tank down the road

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Henry81 - FEW questions if you don't mind mate! 1st, awesome system, and great choice in tanks.
2nd, was there any reason why you chose to use all 45's instead of 90 PVC fittings? The way I am going to be hard plumbing my 20'' Synergy Overflow box with 3 1.5'' drains is I am running them start down then connected to a 90! I will have a Spears 1.5 gate valve my main drain.

The only reason why I ask is some reefers believe that if you use all 45's that you will get more flow PER hour vs using 3 90's which Bulk Reef Supply has proven its a ''Myth Buster''
Also, if this is an SCA 150, why did you go with such a small sump from Eshoops? Is it b/c you are going w/ the triton method? The only problem is your refuge is way to small if you want the Triton method to work the proper way!
BRStv Investigates: Which reduces more flow, 45 or 90 degree elbows?

Drains
1.5 DRAINS 3.jpg

My Returns

My Returns.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my Control panel for my 3 EcoTech Marine Controllers, my 2 TUNZE 6055's Turbelle NanoStreams and my Reef Octo Skimmer Controller. All power supplier will be hidden in the back so everything will look nice and tight with the new CL-44 Synergy sump.

thumbnail.jpg

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason why I have not been updating my build thread is b/c I had a little bit of a problem when my new synergy sump that got delivered in a few weeks ago! I did not want to say anything until I got a brand new one since Fedex dummy's dropped my brand new #Synergy CL-44 SUMP during transit.
I was devastated after waiting over a year to choose what MFG I wanted to have built me my dream sump, Plus, Synergy made me some custom brackets for my Turbo Aquatics Turbo L-2 Scrubber so it will sit on top nice & tight.
At first, it looked like they added to much glue but as I was thinking to myself, that there is no way in hell Rick over Synergy Reef Systems would ever release a sump looking like this!

Here is a picture of one of the stress crack the day it arrived at my house:
StressCracks.jpeg

Immediately I emailed Rick and he called me back within 10 minutes on a Saturday night, which is unheard of. I just wanted to share my story about how Superb and Superior #Synergy Reef Systems is. I even had the owner of the company Rick CALL ME PERSONALLY AND WE CHATTED FOR over 10 minutes about what all went down and he told me to send him all of the pictures of the box which I did, since Synergy packs there sumps a certain way so if this was to ever happen he knows how the sump was packaged. I told him I opened up the box and I did not really notice until I turned the sump around and then you could really tell as you can see from the picture above that there were stress cracks. After I got all of the information over to Rick, he apologized and immediately I got an email stating my new sump was in stage 1 of Production. I did not even have to deal with FedEx or even make a claim. Rick over at Synergy took care of everything for me. The following day I got an email from Synergy saying that I will have a brand new one in 2-3 weeks instead of 4-5 weeks! You have to remember, these sumps are not just sitting on the shelf, like your trigger sumps, Icecaps, Geo Reef Sumps, Eshoops sumps etc, This time it came UPS and there are no stress cracks what so ever, so it's time to fill her with water for the real test!

***THESE ARE THE STORIES WE DONT GET TO HEAR ABOUT***
I just see a lot of negative feedback about this company and I just want people to know that first Vanessa over @ Synergy Reef Systems is a pure Gem to work with as well as the president, Rick. Great company to do business with and I Highly recommended since their craftsmanship is out of this world!

*** Finally, the Eagle has landed and my build may go on ****

Pix of me after I found out after a 4week lead time and 5 days to ship that the sump was dropped in transit and got damaged.
me sad.JPG

Pic of the new sump that Synergy had to rebuild me and my 10-gallon Matching ATO Container.

54225108_10219158020890076_6686891628898025472_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I finally have my Synergy CL-44 sump with their Matching ATO Resviuor, plus my Apex ATO system which is all connected to a 50-gallon saltwater mixing station! I will be running a Bean Aminal system so I went with the Synergy 20'' External Overflow Box like mentioned above.
I will be running 3 1.5inch drains w/ 1 Spears Gate valve that's 1.5inch and for my secondary, I will be using a 1.5inch Cepex ball valve and for the emergency drain I will run off into the middle of the Synergy sump! I can't fit the sump underneath my cabinet b/c my Synergy sump measures the
following 44'' x 18'' x 18'' so I have to take apart one of the stress bars on the SCA 150 cabinet but I need to remove the tank off the stand 1st in order to fit my Synergy sump underneath. It took 4 men to carry it from my garage to the cabinet when I first got it and it was not lite by any means!
My plans are for this weekend is to get a few buddies over here and help take this tank off the stand so lay down a roll of #AquaGadget #DIY Aquarium Mat in order to level out my tank ones it's on the stand. Stuff works awesome and I would highly recommend it. I plan on Running two return pump!
I already have an EcoTech Marine Vortech - M1 return pump for one return and I need to get either another EcoTech Marine Vortech - M1 OR A #ApexCor20 return pump in order to run my Turbo Alage Schrubber and my #Mainifold. Synergy Reef System - made some slight modifications on my sump so my scrubber will fit nice and tight on top of my sump w/ custom made brackets they made to fit the A L-2 REV B

Aqua Gadget #DIY Aquarium Mat

Leveling mat.jpg

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my new sump and filled it with water and I am good to go, no cracks or leaks now it's time to move on with my SCA 150 build! This weekend, I will be plumbing my #Synergy 20'' External Overflow box which means I will be running 3 1.5inch drains off a #EcoTech Marine Vectra M1 RETURN PUMP and for my Turbo Scrubber I will be either purchasing an #APEXCOR20 or another EcoTech Marine Vectra M1 which will run my scrubber and my manifold w/ no problem.

@lbacha- TRYING TO decide if I want to run my plumbing for my emergency valve on the inside of the cabinet or should I DRILL another 2-inch hole and run the emergency drain as I did with my other two drains?

Synergy CL-44 Sump Red & White w/ Matching 10 gallon ATO Resviour.

Plumbing my CL-44.#2.JPG

thumbnail.jpeg

Plumbing my CL-44.#4.JPG

Last edited:

curt creelman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ng my I would like to talk about my saltwater mixing station and the equipment that I used to build it.
I finally found a really good company who had them on sale with FREE SHIPPING so I grabbed a pair of 25 gallon Ace Roto Mold 25 Vertical Water containers. The company is called Rural King Farm store and I added a link below in case your looking for some bad #$#$ Barrels. They are UV resistant so they will not leave any residue behind like your Brute containers will do unless you clean them. -
https://www.ruralking.com/

First, here is a shot of my 1st mixing station w/ a Panworld pump I originally made out of Bute cans and it worked ok. The only problem with going with these Brute garbage cans is they leave a lot of residue ones you're done mixing your salt behind which means you have to clean then vs going with something like one I did on my revised mixing station below:

upload_2019-1-5_12-2-9.png

My Two 25 gallon Storage Vertical Containers for my new Mixing station:

upload_2019-1-5_12-1-37.png

@Bulk Reef Supply -6 stage RODI w/ Aquatech Booster Pump &Pwr Supply.
upload_2019-1-5_12-3-11.png

Some of the PVC parts, fittings and my new 25 gallons Ace Roto Barrels

upload_2019-1-5_12-3-45.png

My 150 GPD Water Saver Upgrade Kit on your RO/DI System

upload_2019-1-5_12-4-12.png

What I love about this upgrade which I highly recommend s that your Water Saving Upgrade Kits is it's the most recommended RODI upgrade. If you have proper pressure (65+ PSI) we highly recommend installing the kit, because it will produce water twice as fast as a standard 75 GPD or 100 GPD membrane while cutting the amount of wastewater in half. The BRS 150 GPD or 200 GPD Water Saver Upgrade Kit will increase the production of any BRS 75 GPD reverse osmosis system to 150 GPD or 100 GPD RO membrane up to 200 GPD without having to use any additional water. With the installation of this kit water production will increase from approximately three gallons per hour to six gallons per hour! It does require 65psi or more into the first membrane in order to function properly and be efficient. If your home's water pressure is less then the recommended PSI do not worry, adding a booster pump is simple and only takes a couple of minutes. After I got my barrels I started looking on this forum and came up with my own custom 50-gallon mixing station and stand that I build out of plywood and 2x4s. See instead of doing one large water change like 90% of reefers on here do, I dose in small increments of about 2 gallons a day. Do you see how I have that white John Guest 1/4'' fitting that was installed on the saltwater barrel?

upload_2019-1-5_12-6-26.png

I have a GHL dosing pump which one stepper motors is connected to this John Guest fitting that feeds the NSW from the mixing station and pushes it into my Synergy Sump! The other Stepper motor on the GHL #MaxiSA dosing pump removes the OSW and I have it where it runs off into the background into my drain off.

The acrylic rod that's 1/4'' in size and that gets connected to one of the stepper motors to pull the NWS out w/ 2 of these acrylic rods in order for me run it about 2inch from the bottom of the barrel:

upload_2019-1-5_12-5-29.png

Here is what my Saltwater Mixing station looks like after I replumbed it along with setting up my 6 Stage RODI w/ dual membrane upgrade. I went with one of Reef Octo return pumps for the mixing station and for mixing the salt. I went with one of the most Reliable pumps on the market today in my opinion, the- The Reef Octo VarioS4 return pump.

Installing the DI first since I was alone doing this!

upload_2019-1-5_12-7-8.png

Installed the Mainstage and just need to install the booster pump since my water pressure was only coming out at 45pSI. If your water pressure is below 45pSI, you will require to run a booster pump in order for the RODI to work properly, if you not you are wasting your money.

upload_2019-1-5_12-7-52.png

I just need to finish up my wire management and my mixing station will have been completed, hard plumbed with a Reef Octo VarioS4 return pump!
upload_2019-1-5_12-12-11.png

Everything works awesome, especially with the new Reef Octo Return pumps, plus, I have had ZERO leaks which I was super happy about since 90% of the time you're going to get a leak or two. Let's keep going shall well!
Youhave done such a great job of showing us all the little steps along the way. It is pretty nice that you took YOUR TIME to help to inform all of US. Many of us would and have made costly mistakes that could have been avoided if we had stopped and emailed someone like you or folowed your build.

I think it s great and interesting and informative... I hope they consider this for THREAD OF THE YEAR AWARD (if they have one and when you finish up. ) Please...keep us posted . Curt C.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I know how I am going to be running my returns and drains, I can start back working on my equipment panels! I am just waiting on my COR20 Apex return pump to finish up my controller panel.
Ones, I get that installed most likely I WILL be mounting these on the back of the tank so it will be totally hidden and will not see a million wires, like a lot of other builds.

Controller Panels.jpeg

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** New Update **

Instead of adding another Vectra M1, I went with a #APEXCOR20 for another 2nd return pump since I can integrate it into my #Apex Controller and have the option to Control it from anywhere in the world and also the pump will send me a notification if there was ever a power outage, pump gets clogged somehow, etc etc!

That's why I might end up getting rid of my #Vectra M1 and just go with two #COR20's.
Make sure you stay connected with me since I will be starting my plumbing job my drains and returns! I just need to move my SCA Rimless 150 to the correct spot, and it will be time to start hard plumbing my drains 1st and then my returns next.

More plumbing pictures coming soon

M-1 &COR20.jpeg

Apex Cor20 & EcTech Marine Vectra M1

1'' returns w/ a Wye Check Valve / Cepex Ball Valve
48399010_398953037598940_3080991332336926720_n.jpg

1.5ICH Drains
thumbnail.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completed my Electrical Apex Panel with my #ApexCOR20 as being the last pcs!
#AvastMarine Breakout box along with the #Neputne #WXM / #ATK and the #LDK modules.

thumbnail.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back