Fluconazole and purigen

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a mistake and accidentally left my purigen in my tank after dosing fluconazole. I just read it is how you actually remove fluconazole in case of an over dose. So my question is, how long does it take to pull out it the tank? Fluconazole was in the tank for two full days already with the purigen. Can you really overdose the fluconazole? The last dose didn’t do much (no purigen in the tank then either). Just trying to keep all the corals and fish safe while dosing max dose. Thanks!!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think purigen will remove flucanizole since it mainly targets nitrogenous waste. Carbon will remove it. I am not sure about overdosing but I wouldn't aim for it.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says on the fish flux rx (fluconazole I bought) that purigen is how you remove it in case of an over dose. Just wasn’t sure on how long it actually takes to pull out of the system.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says on the fish flux rx (fluconazole I bought) that purigen is how you remove it in case of an over dose. Just wasn’t sure on how long it actually takes to pull out of the system.

Are you sure it doesn't say Clear fx pro (that is what their website recommends, plus it would be odd for them to recommend another company's product)? That is not purigen and is more similar to chemi pure blue. The carbon in Clear fx pro is what removes the fluconizole, not the organic scavenging resin.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the package says purigen even though the description on amazon says the clear fx. This is from reef flux, different brand same drug.

D1B524BE-F1AF-4E53-8337-C35BEAC8126F.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I wonder why purigen removes it. I know with decent carbon such as rox 0.8 it will remove it within 24 hours. I can't say how fast the purigen would remove it. However, if you have had the purigen in there since this thread started, I would think you are fine as long as it was in a place with high flow.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find anything saying what happens with an overdose. One person said they had no side effects with a massive overdose. However, that isn't to say that it can't be bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to figure out if it took my original dose away or not. Gotta dose again because my hair algae is out of control at this point. Hopefully someone can chime in with experience using it. Thanks for the help!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to figure out if it took my original dose away or not. Gotta dose again because my hair algae is out of control at this point. Hopefully someone can chime in with experience using it. Thanks for the help!

It might be a good idea to sent the company an email with the question.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back