Flukes and other disease?

Daddydecoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here's the photos. My gf and I are debating on what the disease actually may be. It only is affecting the tang. I am trying to grow flukes out of the oval shapes, but we also notice raised white spots. We have studied the possible diseases on Humblefish.com and think it might be ick also.
Can anyone help verify?
Only seems to be on White Tailed Tang.

Screenshot_20211225-163531_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211225-164959_Gallery.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you can also throw head and lateral line erosion into the possible mix.
Visual IDs only go so far, you usually need to tie in the fish’s history and tank environment into the equation….and then, multiple problems can crop up at the same time.
The first thing you want to rule out is ich, because it spreads fast and kills fairly quickly. Look for salt sized white raised spots that come and go in numbers and change location from day to day. Flukes are normally not directly visible unless they are on the eye. Often all you see is a general tattered look.
How long have you had the tang?
Did it go through quarantine?

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Daddydecoy

Daddydecoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you can also throw head and lateral line erosion into the possible mix.
Visual IDs only go so far, you usually need to tie in the fish’s history and tank environment into the equation….and then, multiple problems can crop up at the same time.
The first thing you want to rule out is ich, because it spreads fast and kills fairly quickly. Look for salt sized white raised spots that come and go in numbers and change location from day to day. Flukes are normally not directly visible unless they are on the eye. Often all you see is a general tattered look.
How long have you had the tang?
Did it go through quarantine?

Jay

Hey Jay,

We received this tank from another reefer. She gifted us the whole setup without any history on it. We turned the corals around but noticed the tang was infected with something. I would say we have had the setup for maybe two months now. It's a redsea 80 gal.

I'm not sure if any of the fish have been through quarantine and I find it strange that the other fish are showing no symptoms of infection. This is the first tang that I have owned so I'm not familiar with their care. I will do some research on the two you mentioned and see if they match.

We are going through a tank move. Is there a treatment we should use for all the fish when we capture them for that event? Do you think it's something where we should treat every fish?

Thank you,
Clint

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay,

We received this tank from another reefer. She gifted us the whole setup without any history on it. We turned the corals around but noticed the tang was infected with something. I would say we have had the setup for maybe two months now. It's a redsea 80 gal.

I'm not sure if any of the fish have been through quarantine and I find it strange that the other fish are showing no symptoms of infection. This is the first tang that I have owned so I'm not familiar with their care. I will do some research on the two you mentioned and see if they match.

We are going through a tank move. Is there a treatment we should use for all the fish when we capture them for that event? Do you think it's something where we should treat every fish?

Thank you,
Clint

Well, lack of a history makes things a bit more difficult. If it has ich (and I can't rule that out, the first picture shows suspicious symptoms) there is no "on the fly" treatment that will work - all treatments for an active ich infection require separating the fish and invertebrates and then treating the fish. Flukes can be treated with with corals using Prazipro. HLLE doesn't really have a cure, but isn't fatal.

Can you post a short video of the tang? That might give more clues.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Daddydecoy

Daddydecoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this will help. We are still trying to figure it out.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this will help. We are still trying to figure it out.
Given the time frame here, it isn't likely to be ich, that would have progressed by now.

I don't see anything remarkable in the video, the fish is a tad thin, but otherwise in good shape. Going back and looking at the earlier pictures, I can't tell you what the white spots are, just that the pits around the face are minor HLLE.

Flukes are usually not directly visible themselves, rather, you see the damage they do; tattered fins, rough looking skin, rapid breathing, cloudy eyes. I don't see anything like that in this fish.

If it were my fish, I would just watch it for new or worsening symptoms.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Daddydecoy

Daddydecoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the time frame here, it isn't likely to be ich, that would have progressed by now.

I don't see anything remarkable in the video, the fish is a tad thin, but otherwise in good shape. Going back and looking at the earlier pictures, I can't tell you what the white spots are, just that the pits around the face are minor HLLE.

Flukes are usually not directly visible themselves, rather, you see the damage they do; tattered fins, rough looking skin, rapid breathing, cloudy eyes. I don't see anything like that in this fish.

If it were my fish, I would just watch it for new or worsening symptoms.

Jay
Man Jay thank you so much!

We have been unsuccessful in diagnosing it, what's even more strange is that no other fish shows symptoms. We are moving the tank today and going to do a fresh water dip before putting her back in just to make sure, I'll keep you posted on that.

The other big thing that worries us is that we are going to combine our pristine nano reef tank into this one. It has a 6-line wrasse that is healthy and we didn't want it to come in contact with the tang. Our hand is being forced at our new home and it's a must do. Having someone else's opinion makes us feel a little more secure about the introduction.

Thanks for sticking with us through the process!

Clint-

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What are you feeding this tang ?

Upvote 0

Black Ghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here's the photos. My gf and I are debating on what the disease actually may be. It only is affecting the tang. I am trying to grow flukes out of the oval shapes, but we also notice raised white spots. We have studied the possible diseases on Humblefish.com and think it might be ick also.
Can anyone help verify?
Only seems to be on White Tailed Tang.

Screenshot_20211225-163531_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211225-164959_Gallery.jpg
You might want to try a fresh water dip for parasites for five minutes. The fresh must be the same temperature and I aireate overnight before using it. The fish will look like he is dying (keep the air stone in and do not leave the fish alone ). Do not put any chemicals in the freshwater as you are already going to stress the fish. I hope this will help someone. GOOD

Upvote 0

Black Ghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man Jay thank you so much!

We have been unsuccessful in diagnosing it, what's even more strange is that no other fish shows symptoms. We are moving the tank today and going to do a fresh water dip before putting her back in just to make sure, I'll keep you posted on that.

The other big thing that worries us is that we are going to combine our pristine nano reef tank into this one. It has a 6-line wrasse that is healthy and we didn't want it to come in contact with the tang. Our hand is being forced at our new home and it's a must do. Having someone else's opinion makes us feel a little more secure about the introduction.

Thanks for sticking with us through the process!

Clint-
I. Haven't. heard anyone talk about water temperature . With ick and other parasites I raise it to 84 or 85 . My normal is 78 to 80. What is yours?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Daddydecoy

Daddydecoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I. Haven't. heard anyone talk about water temperature . With ick and other parasites I raise it to 84 or 85 . My normal is 78 to 80. What is yours?

We run the water right between 79 qnd 80. It's typically stabile in there. How long do you run it up? Will it hurt the reef?

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back