Flukes?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
After a month and a half in QT and medication, I was about ready to move my Royal Gramma into my display tank, until I noticed these discolored patches all over the skin. These are flukes, aren’t they?
33460668-B781-4C8F-8C34-BF0656064B53.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried freshwater dipping it, and couldn’t find too many results. When the fish almost stopped breathing after a minute, I stopped the dip. Here’s what I found:
44A43836-C41E-4896-969B-8AFE50B99026.jpeg

Can’t tell if it’s flukes or just dirt.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
read up on royal gramma and FW dip.. (i haven't), but most fish can easily handle 5 min in FW.. some will act weird (swim erratic to act almost dead), but they can do that for a long time. the flukes take a few minutes to swell up and drop off. they are like clear little oblong blobs.. hard to see (like a clear balloon filled with water). Also after they start to fill up, they are a little easier to spot from the side.

not sure what youre pointing to in the pic? if its the white specs, those are flukes (at least not like mine were).

you could also try adding prazipro to the water.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
After a month and a half in QT and medication, I was about ready to move my Royal Gramma into my display tank, until I noticed these discolored patches all over the skin. These are flukes, aren’t they?
33460668-B781-4C8F-8C34-BF0656064B53.jpeg

That could be flukes - tough to say. I wouldn't move it into your DT until you figure it out though. Have you treated with Prazipro yet?

Jay

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be flukes - tough to say. I wouldn't move it into your DT until you figure it out though. Have you treated with Prazipro yet?

Jay
I just put PraziPro in—I hesitated for a week because nothing seemed visibly wrong. I decided to give one last look before moving the fish, and I’m glad I did. It’ll stay in QT for a few more weeks, now with the added medication.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question—ever since the FW dip, the gramma has been lethargic and breathing heavily. I pulled him out of the dip early because I didn’t feel like it was doing too well. Did I do something wrong, or is the fish just stressed??

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question—ever since the FW dip, the gramma has been lethargic and breathing heavily. I pulled him out of the dip early because I didn’t feel like it was doing too well. Did I do something wrong, or is the fish just stressed??
A one minute FW dip is survivable by any fish except one that is seriously ill. It also isn't long enough to really dislodge any flukes. Was the fish difficult to catch up? It may be reacting to the stress from the catch up as opposed to the dip itself.

Jay

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A one minute FW dip is survivable by any fish except one that is seriously ill. It also isn't long enough to really dislodge any flukes. Was the fish difficult to catch up? It may be reacting to the stress from the catch up as opposed to the dip itself.

Jay
Not the hardest time I’ve had catching a fish, but yeah he didn’t make it easy. I had to remove his cave to get him. He hasn’t gone back to it, is it possible he doesn’t think his cave is safe anymore? I never pictured this species as that intelligent.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the hardest time I’ve had catching a fish, but yeah he didn’t make it easy. I had to remove his cave to get him. He hasn’t gone back to it, is it possible he doesn’t think his cave is safe anymore? I never pictured this species as that intelligent.
I normally don’t attribute that level of intelligence to fish, but they are full of surprises.
Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back