Fluval 13.5 light overheating?

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank recently cycled so I was introducing some light for an hour and noticed my Temps go from 78-79 to 80-80.5 almost hitting 81.5 at one point.

I checked my heater first (Jager 100w) before touching the stock light for my Fluval and it was very hot. I obviously turned it off and the heat is slowly but surely dissapating.

Thankfully I have a new light ready to use that is a arm bracket light. Just curious if anyone else had this happen as I can see it not being a very desirable side effect.

Acskippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank recently cycled so I was introducing some light for an hour and noticed my Temps go from 78-79 to 80-80.5 almost hitting 81.5 at one point.

I checked my heater first (Jager 100w) before touching the stock light for my Fluval and it was very hot. I obviously turned it off and the heat is slowly but surely dissapating.

Thankfully I have a new light ready to use that is a arm bracket light. Just curious if anyone else had this happen as I can see it not being a very desirable side effect.

how many gal is tank? Do you have a temp controller besides the dial on the heater? Depending on how strong you have your lights set to, and how far off the water they are they could easily heat the water... also most heaters have about a 3 degree margin of error on their internal thermostats

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many gal is tank? Do you have a temp controller besides the dial on the heater? Depending on how strong you have your lights set to, and how far off the water they are they could easily heat the water... also most heaters have about a 3 degree margin of error on their internal thermostats

It's a 13.5 gal fluval evo. The lights are stock on a lid there is no controller. My heater is a Jager 100w and I have three digital thermometers in the tank at different points just to make sure my heater is calibrated. The heater has been holding steady to within .4 of where I need it. It was only today that it was a Lil warmer out side and the light was on for about an hour and a half.

I'm glad now I bought the new light that won't be so close to the tank.

Easy Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also have a fluval evo 13.5 and the light gets pretty hot for mine . My temp would fluctuate so I took off the stock lid and made my own mesh lid . I also put a Bayite temp controller and it helps keep my temperature really stable

Acskippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 13.5 gal fluval evo. The lights are stock on a lid there is no controller. My heater is a Jager 100w and I have three digital thermometers in the tank at different points just to make sure my heater is calibrated. The heater has been holding steady to within .4 of where I need it. It was only today that it was a Lil warmer out side and the light was on for about an hour and a half.

I'm glad now I bought the new light that won't be so close to the tank.
More heaters is great, but you need to worry about 1 getting stuck ON, not so much getting the temp exact, happens often and you need to have a controller that will shut off if it hapens.

Acskippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More heaters is great, but you need to worry about 1 getting stuck ON, not so much getting the temp exact, happens often and you need to have a controller that will shut off if it hapens.
Also if its covered, light intensity could contribute significantly ESPECIALLY since its a small vol of water...

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm definitely going with the mesh lid look here soon just gotta build it.

Pretty intense light to be stock if you ask me especially when it's forced so close to the water. Glad I bought a new light with an arm.

I have a baylite controller myself just haven't set it up yet as I need a spare outlet as I don't wanna connect it to a surge protector. I will be hooking it up when I move my tank upstairs next Month

Easy Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm definitely going with the mesh lid look here soon just gotta build it.

Pretty intense light to be stock if you ask me especially when it's forced so close to the water. Glad I bought a new light with an arm.

I have a baylite controller myself just haven't set it up yet as I need a spare outlet as I don't wanna connect it to a surge protector. I will be hooking it up when I move my tank upstairs next Month
I think it’s because the stock light doesn’t really have any vents so air can cool down the light . The stock lid also keeps the tank kind of warm . Mesh lid is definitely the way to go

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 128 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back