Fluval 306 canister filter. Any good??

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. Going slow in this hobby is the way to do it. Before adding a protein skimmer or reactors, use the Fluval as I've recommended: for mechanical and chemical filtration. Let your live rock and sand take care of the biological filtration.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. Going slow in this hobby is the way to do it. Before adding a protein skimmer or reactors, use the Fluval as I've recommended: for mechanical and chemical filtration. Let your live rock and sand take care of the biological filtration.

To each their own, but a small reactor from BRS wouldn't be moving too fast. Use it strictly for carbon, introduce GFO later if need be (you can mix the two). This isn't an expensive piece of equipment either. You can burn up chemical filtration in your canister now or get the most out of it in a reactor, no point in waiting.

+1 on moving slow, but in this case the risks do not outweigh the rewards.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I don't understand - why not use biological media (MediaPure) in a canister filter?

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I don't understand - why not use biological media (MediaPure) in a canister filter?
Reread this thread from the beginning and see exactly what the only available filter is AT THIS TIME. You'll see why I do not recommend biological media in THIS canister filter AT THIS TIME.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reread this thread from the beginning and see exactly what the only available filter is AT THIS TIME. You'll see why I do not recommend biological media in THIS canister filter AT THIS TIME.

I did, but it seems like your argument is that you have to clean the canister filter once a week with your weekly water change (and that is "work") - and that you "could" clean it wrong and deplete the bacteria in the biological container.

Cleaning the filter once a week with a water change is no big deal - at least not to most.

And if you clean it correctly - take the biological media basket out and rinse it (and the contents) in the water taken out of your tank for the water change - and rinsing your other chemical and mechanical media in the same water - there should be no problem.

The benefits of a canister filter (or multiple canister filters) outweigh the "work" it takes cleaning them.

With a canister filter you don't have salt creep all over your cabinet and equipment; there is less evaporation; no smell; no noise; cleans and polishes the water much better; MUCH easier to clean than a sump, etc.

And as the OP has stated, he will be having a good amount of live rock.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i ran my canister I never cleaned my in canister media, didn't need to, if you arrange your filter pads correctly (to trap the waste) and clean/change those pads on a regular basis, your media stays clean.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no proven reason, I did so for years.
You can use biological media in a canister filter and I have done so also.

It seems however that the point of THIS thread is being missed. The OP is asking if AT THIS TIME, when starting a new tank, and only having a canister filter already available (no sump, no protein skimmer, no media reactors) with plenty of live rock and live sand, would the canister filter work. He was NOT asking for a shopping list of what others may think he should have for a successful reef tank.

Without using any other filter, AT THIS TIME, I simply advised him to let his live rock and sand in his tank to be his biological filter and use the Fluval for mechanical and chemical filtration.

OP
OP
Gdk414

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys i apretiate it a lot. Great info all! Im going to be ordering the salt and sand and my buddy is making me rodi water so im excited to get things moving. I got 2 free hydor wave makers with some coraline alge already on them..hoping that will reproduce lol.
Ive decided to get a kessil a360 tuna blue for the lighting. Pumped!!!

Adair Lawrence

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I set up my 55-gallon fish tank. But I am very wondering about my fish for proper water filtration. Then my friend told me about canister filter and give me a link, where I can find the best canister filter reviews. The Canister filter sucks in dirty water from the aquarium and pumps out pure water. The impure water goes through three major filtration processes namely Mechanical, Biological, and Chemical. Recently I arranged my Fluval 306 canister filter in my tank. Now, its work brilliantly. If you want you can check the link: https://fishboxpro.com/best-canister-filter-review/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back