Fluval 407 Canister filter media

FishDude04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently setting up my first saltwater tank and I will be running a fluval 407 canister filter.

From what I’ve read so far, most people do not recommend a canister filter for a reef tank but I do not currently having the space for a sump and also having picked up the fluval for 1/2 off as a back up for my freshwater tank, I have it on hand and will be using it for the time being.
Even though it’s not as necessary on a freshwater tank as a reef tank, I clean the canister filter on my freshwater tank atleast twice a month, so cleaning it regularly isn’t an issue.
I understand that I should not set up my canister filter the same as my freshwater application, so my question is, what filter media should I ditch and what should I add to make it work as efficient as possible?
These are the filtration media that come with the filter. In my freshwater application I swapped out the biomax for matrix and I also add in polyfil and substitute purigen for the carbon.
  • Bio-Foam Max
  • Bio-Foam
  • 70 g carbon
  • Quick-Clear
  • Bio-Foam+
  • Biomax

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters themselves are not bad per se. The main issue people have with canisters on reef tanks is that people get lazy with them and they become a place for crud to rot. Cleaning it twice a week works, but hang on backs are just so much easier for this and aerate the water.

However, if you clean it twice a week, it can work.

Polyfilter is unnecessary unless you think you need to remove something. It is nice to keep on hand as an emergency tool. Purigen is ok. I still like having carbon. A phosphate remover is handy too but I actually prefer dosing something like waste away to help control that unless its ridiculously high. The only thing you don't want is an ammonia remover (let the bacteria handle that).

OP
OP
F

FishDude04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters themselves are not bad per se. The main issue people have with canisters on reef tanks is that people get lazy with them and they become a place for crud to rot. Cleaning it twice a week works, but hang on backs are just so much easier for this and aerate the water.

However, if you clean it twice a week, it can work.

Polyfilter is unnecessary unless you think you need to remove something. It is nice to keep on hand as an emergency tool. Purigen is ok. I still like having carbon. A phosphate remover is handy too but I actually prefer dosing something like waste away to help control that unless its ridiculously high. The only thing you don't want is an ammonia remover (let the bacteria handle that).
Thank you for your suggestions. Are you referring to a HOB power filter or protein skimmer?
Would I benefit from running a HOB skimmer with my canister or just one or the other?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS 5 Min Reefing Guide did a 40 gallon breeder with HOB and In Tank equipment. Is it all necessary - nope. Can a canister be part of your system? Sure. Great for polishing and bacteria for ammonia control. But there are a lot of options - HOB refugiums, in tank skimmers (small skimmers that work well aren't common, Tunze one of the few that do IMO) . Most of this depends on the kind of tank you want.

Few fish, softies - your canister is probably fine with a solid WC schedule (20% per week to start)

Higher fish load, Mid level corals - might need some additional filtration or additional WC or dosing.

High fish load, high end corals - going to be tough to be successful (not impossible, just much harder) with canister only.

OP
OP
F

FishDude04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS 5 Min Reefing Guide did a 40 gallon breeder with HOB and In Tank equipment. Is it all necessary - nope. Can a canister be part of your system? Sure. Great for polishing and bacteria for ammonia control. But there are a lot of options - HOB refugiums, in tank skimmers (small skimmers that work well aren't common, Tunze one of the few that do IMO) . Most of this depends on the kind of tank you want.

Few fish, softies - your canister is probably fine with a solid WC schedule (20% per week to start)

Higher fish load, Mid level corals - might need some additional filtration or additional WC or dosing.

High fish load, high end corals - going to be tough to be successful (not impossible, just much harder) with canister only.
Is there a HOB refugium that you recommend? Would run this with my canister or stand alone? I do weekly water changes on my freshwater tank so that won’t be a problem.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a seachem tidal would work well as a power filter if you still wanted to change filters. The only benefit from the skimmer i see is added o2 but that can be accomplished with a powerhead instead IMO. great deals on marinedepot liquidation rn https://www.marinedepot.com/seachem-tidal-hob-power-filter
I hated cleaning the cannister filter multiple times a week when i had one years ago

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a HOB refugium that you recommend? Would run this with my canister or stand alone? I do weekly water changes on my freshwater tank so that won’t be a problem.
CPR Aquatics makes a few. Just google HOB refugium but they get kind of pricey for entry level.

There is a Youtuber Susan Nichols I think runs great smaller tanks with minimal equipment and no sumps.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has fijicube hob refugiums on sale, imo not necessary but you could add it

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your suggestions. Are you referring to a HOB power filter or protein skimmer?
Would I benefit from running a HOB skimmer with my canister or just one or the other?

Hang on back filter is what I meant. Hang on back skimmers are not bad though. Skimmers compliment other filters but shouldn't be the only filter. You can start off without one and get one later if you think your are having nitrate issues

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back