Fluval aquaclear HOB really loud

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody, I just added an aquaclear 70 to my tank (20 gallon high) with the idea of using it as a refugium. It’s really loud. I’m generally sensitive to noise so I guess it might not bother some people but it’s making a very loud grinding sound that’s worse when I lower the flow. It’s not the water noise, it’s something with the pump/filter. I am guessing it’s the pump but maybe it’s something vibrating. If I try and press on it at various points that doesn’t help things. Is there a way to make it quieter? Can I put a new pump on it? Failing that, what’s the best way to get a quiet/silent HOB refugium happening? Could I hang a small box in a corner and just grow sea lettuce in that? My aim is to have a supply of pods for my tank and to grow sea lettuce to feed my tuxedo urchin when it eventually eats through everything that’s currently in my tank. I don’t have a mandarin or anything and I don’t want one, I’d just like to have pods for cleanup crew/biodiversity reasons and so my current fish can snack on them if they so choose. Looking forward to hearing quiet options!

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it off the tank and empty it. Remove the pump from the filter and make sure the impeller is seated correctly.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
air Bubbles?

can you do the same refugium in a Seachem?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back