Fluval Edge 6G NPS Tank

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has a blue sponge like yours that they have been trying to keep alive for the last year. It must be one tough sponge since they have it high in the lights of an sps tank that they do not feed. I tend to do well with sponges in older tanks where there is a lot of food in the water. Mine get fed daily with green water and differing invert foods. Not quite the blue of yours but here's a poor picture of one of the purple sponges in my tank.
P8100177.JPG

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has a blue sponge like yours that they have been trying to keep alive for the last year. It must be one tough sponge since they have it high in the lights of an sps tank that they do not feed. I tend to do well with sponges in older tanks where there is a lot of food in the water. Mine get fed daily with green water and differing invert foods. Not quite the blue of yours but here's a poor picture of one of the purple sponges in my tank.
P8100177.JPG

that's awesome! I need a purple one like that. I just picked up the plating purple photosynthetic sponge.

as for the blue....that's weird to me because I'm pretty positive they're non photo. this guy had NO lights for the 5 out of the 11 days of growth (I was out of town and didn't put on a timer). so he's in low lighting, high nitrates, and lots of food. I'm actually feeding right now :)

fuel, rods food, LRS reef frenzy, cyclopeeze, reef roids, and squid.

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also....another weird thing. my friend bought a giant colony of the blue (I took a little nub and that's what is pictured) he has a cold water NPS tank that grows NPS gorgonians like weeds. overnight the sponge lost all color and nuked the tank. was not exposed to air.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak about the blue but the purple I have will not tolerate much light at all and will grow happily on the backside of rocks in the dark.

IdahoNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank, sorry for the Angler loss, that's one of my fav fish and will be having one when I start my 29G back up. Did you ever go with a sump on that tank or are you using the original filtration?

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank, sorry for the Angler loss, that's one of my fav fish and will be having one when I start my 29G back up. Did you ever go with a sump on that tank or are you using the original filtration?

thanks. :/

still using the HOB filter. my nitrates stay around 50 and my phosphates stay low at 0.03 with the GFO. nothing is seemingly bothered by the high nitrates (surprisingly- I thought the coco worms have a low tolerance).

I did put all my macro algae from my reef's sump into this tank. so there's about 4-5 different species hopefully sucking up some nutrients as well.

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I love the sea fan. That is the branchy thing on the right isn't it?

thanks! yes! I've been searching for one for EVER and I just happened to stumble across this one. i even went to LFSs in Virginia and South Carolina when I visited. I found one but the owner laughed in my face when I asked how much it was. Apparently it was his. lol.

I was helping one of my vendor friends unpack at a swap. when I saw it he saw how excited I got and just gave it to me for helping him!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back