Fluval FX-6 vs Oase 600

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

Ive been thinking of upgrading my canister from my current Fluval 407 to either Fluval FX-6 or Oase 600. Ive always enjoyed the fluval 407 but the cleanings get a bit tedious, dragging the entire filter out to clean. After seeing a youtuber Mikeymikemike running with a Oase 600 and looking very easy to clean and maintain, it made me wonder if anybody has experience with these two options. Theyre both close to the same price, but I know the fluval goes on a big sale typically around black friday. Im hoping Oase does too, so I have a choice and not the $ being a big factor. My tank is a 75g mixed tank, and I do wonder if the FX-6 is overkill?

Thanks for any advice/experiences with the filters!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an FX4 on my 75 gallon, I would use an FX6 if I could fit it. I really like how easy it is to use and the multiple tray levels allows you freedom to add or remove media you want or don't want.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oase is expensive and not as high performing flow rate wise but i personally won't use a canister filter without a prefilter like the biomasters.

I personally think the oase biomasters are super worth it but I have only used them on freshwater tanks.

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True I do enjoy the trays in the 407. packed with marine pure bio balls.
Oase is expensive and not as high performing flow rate wise but i personally won't use a canister filter without a prefilter like the biomasters.

I personally think the oase biomasters are super worth it but I have only used them on freshwater tanks.
They are currently both $340, and the prefilter is the draw of the oase for sure. the ease of cleaning, compared to dragging out the entire filter from under my stand. Thanks!

ForrestG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PetSmart has 2021 Black Friday sale today (Friday 11/26/21). Just bought an FX6 for $210. And also bought a Oase Biomaster 850 on Amazon. Amazon allows returns until 12/31/22 and Petsmart has 60 day return policy. So actually I will be trying both (currently 40g breeder, upgrading to 120g in 8 months). I like the power of the FX6, but really like the ease of cleaning via the Oase prefilter. Also, the Oase has the option to install a heater in the unit so that the heater does not clutter up the display tank. I am also purchasing glass "lily pipes" to hopefully create an uncluttered, minimalistic display tank (ala Mikeymikemike on YouTube). If anyone gets this message today, I recommend doing the same so that you won't miss the PetSmart sale opportunity. You can always return if you dont think it will fit your needs. However, It is 1/2 the price of an Oase Biomaster 850. That's a $200 savings which may be worth it for lack of extreme ease of maintenance cleaning.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back