Fluval FX6 and new micro bubbles

JK75gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

My 6 month old Fluval FX6 started expelling micro bubbles from the outlet? Before I take the commonsense route and start pulling off and resetting the hoses, I figured I would see if anyone else has or had this issue and already knows what it is. Nothing has changed as far as placement and or hoses. I did clean the filter somewhere around 2 months ago but this just started last week.
It is resetting itself almost daily (where it shuts off then two minutes later comes back on as described in the manual) to release trapped air.
Nothing is wet at all under the tank so if there is an air leak it is too small to notice.
Thoughts? Or am I correct in just taking it apart and putting it back together.
May seem simple but this is still new to me and I will ask silly questions for a while I suppose. :)

Thank you!

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What may be happening is the biological breakdown of detritus which creates gasses. Just like deep sand beds. Most people don't use canister filters because they need cleaning every couple weeks in a reef set up.

OP
OP
JK75gal

JK75gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx, that is the learning curve. I bought my setup from a LFS and all on the opinion of one person. Basically, this is how I am starting out and will upgrade as needed. Thankfully they didn't have everything I needed and some of the items are long term..
TBH though the tank is doing really well so far. I will take it over the alternative, while I learn more about the hobby I started PRIOR to reading and familiarizing myself with it .... LOL oh well right.. Keep on truckin (dating myself there for sure) Appreciate the reply!

MDReefguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find sometimes it'll push out micro bubbles when the filter pads or foam become saturated. Almost like it starts pulling in air because the pressure is too high. I've removed all but the coarse filter pad, and run only live rock rubble and matrix and the bottom ring of sponge material and my micro bubbles have stopped.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

My 6 month old Fluval FX6 started expelling micro bubbles from the outlet? Before I take the commonsense route and start pulling off and resetting the hoses, I figured I would see if anyone else has or had this issue and already knows what it is. Nothing has changed as far as placement and or hoses. I did clean the filter somewhere around 2 months ago but this just started last week.
It is resetting itself almost daily (where it shuts off then two minutes later comes back on as described in the manual) to release trapped air.
Nothing is wet at all under the tank so if there is an air leak it is too small to notice.
Thoughts? Or am I correct in just taking it apart and putting it back together.
May seem simple but this is still new to me and I will ask silly questions for a while I suppose. :)

Thank you!
As far as resets....it supposed to do that every 24 hours....
Did you add a skimmer lately?....anyway, yes I would clean and make sure that the screws for the top are hand tight AND the four screws on motor mount at bottom are hand tight AND the water outlet isn't leaking

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx, that is the learning curve. I bought my setup from a LFS and all on the opinion of one person. Basically, this is how I am starting out and will upgrade as needed. Thankfully they didn't have everything I needed and some of the items are long term..
TBH though the tank is doing really well so far. I will take it over the alternative, while I learn more about the hobby I started PRIOR to reading and familiarizing myself with it .... LOL oh well right.. Keep on truckin (dating myself there for sure) Appreciate the reply!
There is nothing wrong with running canisters........just make sure you do correct husbandry.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my tank, running 3 FX6's with LR rubble.....clean out motor and one sponge at bottom pump inlet every 6 months.
IMG_1980small.jpg

OP
OP
JK75gal

JK75gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as resets....it supposed to do that every 24 hours....
Did you add a skimmer lately?....anyway, yes I would clean and make sure that the screws for the top are hand tight AND the four screws on motor mount at bottom are hand tight AND the water outlet isn't leaking
No, I haven't made any changes at all. Just trying to stay on top of everything as best I can.. yup, checked and tightened as described in the manual.. of course if I figure it out I will post what I find.

Thank you for the advice!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back