Flying with Coral.

c.poindexter

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 19, 2014
Messages
752
Reaction score
1,525
Location
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to get advice from reefers who may have done this in the past. I will be attending reefapalooza in May and if I find some coral I plan to purchase it there. I would
like to know if anyone has purchased coral and taken it in their carry on. My other option if this is not feasible or a good idea is to ship it the day I leave and pick it up when I get home. I appreciate the info.

Thank you
 
You think you'll get through TSA with those when they won't even let you through security with a bottle of water in your backpack? I would think shipping them would be your (and your corals) safest choice. I can't imagine what your options would be if TSA turned you away.
 
I have read that if you get the permission ahead of time, they will allow it. Also you can send it with your checked bag. I have never been told I can't bring a drink on the plane. My wife takes water bottles everywhere. They also say no lighters, but I have always taken one in my pocket with no problem.
 
I'm sure it depends on the airline, I just brought some coral back from San Francisco on Alaskan Air in my checked luggage. I bought a cheap 1 gallon drink cooler (like this goo.gl/ZNDSWH ) and taped up the top and wrote on Live Coral and my name and phone #. It came through fine, they didn't even open and check the bag.
 
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to get advice from reefers who may have done this in the past. I will be attending reefapalooza in May and if I find some coral I plan to purchase it there. I would
like to know if anyone has purchased coral and taken it in their carry on. My other option if this is not feasible or a good idea is to ship it the day I leave and pick it up when I get home. I appreciate the info.

Thank you
I wouldn't trust TSA. Rules change every week it seems. You can bring 'fish' on your carry on. But corals aren't fish.

Check a bag if you can on the way back. It's what I always do & plenty of others. The show ends on a Sunday so shipping really isn't feasible.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new