FNG Build - 75g mixed

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 9012 is in a 55 gallon and it’s at 20% power lol (I got the DC model, expensive but you turn a knob to set the foam height instead of fussing with an air hose clamp.)

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Yeah I’ll have to swap them out. Been busy the last couple days - got the QT set up & running with two clowns in it. Fashioned a bottom for the tank stand with 1/4” oak plywood and just finished sealing all around the edges. Gonna sand cabinet doors, install cabinet hardware, cut the 2x4 bracing but not install it. Annnd hopefully sealant will be fully cured & set up so tomorrow I can paint/waterproof the inside of the cabinet & the paint the cabinet doors. Then stand will be done lol besides for 2x4 bracing that will be installed after the sump goes in lol

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of cabinet bottom & sump

Attachments

• IMG_8662.jpeg
    IMG_8662.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8663.jpeg
    IMG_8663.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8301.jpeg
    IMG_8301.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8300.jpeg
    IMG_8300.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 35

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It’s a bit hard to tell from the stand pics but are the cross members sitting on top of vertical 2x4 or are they screwed/nailed into the side of the verticals? Usually you want them sitting on top of the vertical framing to carry the load to the floor so the stress isn’t on the fasteners.

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a bit hard to tell from the stand pics but are the cross members sitting on top of vertical 2x4 or are they screwed/nailed into the side of the verticals? Usually you want them sitting on top of the vertical framing to carry the load to the floor so the stress isn’t on the fasteners.
So. Good catch. Lol front to back crossmembers are supported on top of 2x4’s. Length wise left to right are not. I mean - the 2x4 bracing I was talking about cutting just a moment ago would accomplish supporting these in fairness. But might add 2 more to the corners now as well. Will post pic - lmk what you think one sec

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pics showing current structure
I would cut some extra 2x4s of wedge in under the end of the horizontal cross bracing. The below pic is probably the most widely used layout for a stand. See the vertical 2x4s carrying the weight of the horizontal framing.
IMG_1611.png

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut some extra 2x4s of wedge in under the end of the horizontal cross bracing. The below pic is probably the most widely used layout for a stand. See the vertical 2x4s carrying the weight of the horizontal framing.
IMG_1611.png
Yep we agree, thanks for catching that man I’ve been so busy painting & worried about looking pretty for wife I didn’t even notice it
Good thing I just stocked up on wood at Lowe’s today lol

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut these between 1/16-1/32 too long and beat them in with a mallet lol then screwed just to hold in place. She ain’t goin nooo where now

Cabinet doors are all prepped thanks to the wife wanting to sand. Mind blown. Starting to think she’s really getting on board with this stuff finally lol she picked color, cabinet knobs - which are BA btw - AND now she’s helping do the work?? This is excellent. Lol

Tomorrow just gotta paint everything & waterproof the bottom - screw the last couple boards into place - then screw cabinet doors back on and I thinkkk it’s pretty close to good to go. 220 arrives not this Saturday but next.

QT is up and running - copper and Hanna tester shows up Friday. Need to start cycling buckets of rock asap still to try and get a head start on cycling this big tank so the freshly QT’d fish can transfer right in.

It’s all comin together time to go shower and catch some 4th fireworks lol

Attachments

• IMG_8671.jpeg
    IMG_8671.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8670.jpeg
    IMG_8670.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUT back to the 75 noob tank. Anybody know what this stuff is?? The white on the toadstool & monti at first I thought was some sort of sponge or something?? But under the toadstool is almost completely coated in this fuzzy white crap not just the one cylindrical protrusion??
And I have no idea what all the white stuff like tentacles growing all over that plug is?? What’s on the plug is isolated to just that I THINK.

Does anyone recognize this? It’s been an endless battle to get my wife to unplug her dang wax warmers and spraying crap in my fish room too which might be some of it but I don’t think that’s what’s on the monti or the toadstool …

Attachments

• IMG_8777.jpeg
    IMG_8777.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8779.jpeg
    IMG_8779.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8780.jpeg
    IMG_8780.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 26

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Some type of sponge. Possible pineapple sponge? A little hard to tell but no bad stuff looks like a sponge as far as I know.

Back