Foam Between Rimless aquarium and stand ?

chris_kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

What is the best to put between the actual aquarium (90G Rimless) & the stand.
i was in between either styrofoam (either 0.5 or 1cm in thickness), thick yoga mat or one of these :

thanks,

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!! Honestly it’s whatever the tank manufacturers recommends. I do believe though with rimless tanks most people use styrofoam 1/2” and used underneath for support.

OP
OP
C

chris_kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!! Honestly it’s whatever the tank manufacturers recommends. I do believe though with rimless tanks most people use styrofoam 1/2” and used underneath for support.
Thnx for the reply, yeah i' thinking of using the styerfoam underneath the tank as i have 1 corner not completely touching the cabinet either :/

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I sound parnoid but I would use whatever the manufacturer sells. Using anything else will most likely void the waranty in case something ever happens.

OP
OP
C

chris_kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I sound parnoid but I would use whatever the manufacturer sells. Using anything else will most likely void the waranty in case something ever happens.
my tank is Aquatlantis Aquaview 120 cant find anything on their site to be honest, and since its a rimless tank, i was thinking to put something in between and tank and the stand

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on size of the tank a small one probably can get away with nothing if you want to save a couple bucks for some reason but on my current tank a Cadlights 90G I used the thin black foam pad that came with the tank. I would use a thin spongy foam pad for your tank. This guy explains it pretty good,I just Googled foam pad for rimless tank and this article came up.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thnx for the reply, yeah i' thinking of using the styerfoam underneath the tank as i have 1 corner not completely touching the cabinet either :/

That is a very bad situation.
Is there a way to correct this problem? you should by whatever means it takes.
A slight gap in the middle is one thing but a gap on a corner is another.

Think of it this way.
A gap in the center of the tank is not good but is not so critical as the long edge is bridging across the gap so there is support on both sides and the bridge will not have as much stress on it.

A corner obviously is only supported on one side and the rest is hanging out over and has greater stress. Even with a matt or foam.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes like mentioned I would definitely try and fix the stand issues before the tank is setup. I would hate for you to set it up just to have it crack because of the uneven stand. I would try and fix the corner the best to your ability then try putting a 3/4 sheet of plywood to try and level it.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chris, I would recommend atleast a 1/2 piece of wood on top of the stand (if not already there), and then a 1/2 piece of insulating foam on top of that. The high density foam, such as R1 which can be found at home depot (the purple stuff). Your tank is a generous size, and it would benefit from the above.

This is one area I would advise not to skimp out on. The costs savings is not worth the risk and both pieces can be had under $50 from home depot or a similar hardware store near you.

OP
OP
C

chris_kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply's.

This is my problem (corner of the tank)
IMG_20200507_080928.jpg

I have the following to put between the stand and the tank would it be ok set up on one of these?

Either this jbl aqua pad
IMG_20200507_080940.jpg

Or this Styrofoam : (1/2 inc or 3/4 inch)
IMG_20200507_080948.jpg

would this "solve" the issue ?

If the Styrofoam is the way to go, would it be ok to paint the edge line so it will match the stand color ?

Tank is still empty as im still waiting on some plumbing parts to arrive.

Thanks

iceman14555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a sheet of Dupont styrofoam insulation that I cut to size. It's squishy enough to pad the tank, but thick and durable enough not to split under the weight.

If you paint the edge of your foam, just make sure you use a compatible paint. Some paints will eat foam.

OP
OP
C

chris_kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on size of the tank a small one probably can get away with nothing if you want to save a couple bucks for some reason but on my current tank a Cadlights 90G I used the thin black foam pad that came with the tank. I would use a thin spongy foam pad for your tank. This guy explains it pretty good,I just Googled foam pad for rimless tank and this article came up.
Would you think the jbl foam pad will be enough ? Its about 0.5 cm in thickness.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you think the jbl foam pad will be enough ? Its about 0.5 cm in thickness.
That will probably work just fine. The one that came with my 90g is probably a little thinner or the same .5 cm. Don’t overthink it and just get that thin pad not the styrofoam.

OP
OP
C

chris_kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will probably work just fine. The one that came with my 90g is probably a little thinner or the same .5 cm. Don’t overthink it and just get that thin pad not the styrofoam.
Hi mate,
So i installed the aquarium mat, would you think its enough to support the corner that i had not a completely touching ?

IMG_20200510_092445.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back