Foam sump refugium dividers

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am in the process of putting a 120 gallon glass Cages system together. Been out of reefing for three years but convinced the wife to let me have a nice system with a dedicated fish room in the retirement home. Sump is two forty breeders drilled and linked in parallel. I like big sumps and I can not lie. Sorry couldn’t resist.
A while back I saw several articles promoting the use of foam like in a freshwater sponge filter as the dividers for the sump. Seems like a great idea. More places for bacteria to grow, etc.
Problem is, none of these articles describe how to secure the material in a sump. I cut the pieces over sized but the still float free almost instantly. Is silicone the answer? I’m hoping some one here can chime in on a way to mount the foam effectively.
Keep on reefing!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea with foam dividers in the sump. I used cheap egg crate to enclose my chaeto refugium. Wondering if you could use the egg crate as dividers in your sump and attach foam to the egg crate dividers.

035AA31C-96AD-4661-BA0A-56BB4957A666.jpeg

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest issue with the foam (like the bubble trap one in my RS525XL (Which I recently removed), is they get clogged up. With the sponge production I have in my sump, i am lucky to get a week or two out of it, then my sump level rises, and my skimmer goes wack.

OP
OP
J

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting replies. They get me thinking.
What if I silicone two narrow strips vertically on each side of the sump about two inches apart? Slide the foam in and instant partition that can be removed if needed for cleaning.
Additionally if flow thru the foam becomes lower then the water just flows over the top like a glass or plexiglass divider.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back