Food and phosphates

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much phosphates does my food add approximately per day to my 140 gallon if im adding this much:

*2.32 grams pellets (44%) protein

*.20 grams green pellets (36%) protein.

*2.53 grams nori seaweed 5 grams protein per 14 grams of nori.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also found Randys phosphate article, which has me concerned.

"Flake fish food is typically about 1% phosphorus (3% phosphate equivalent) by weight. Many products have phosphorus-content data on their labels. Consequently, if 5 grams of flake food is added to a 100-gallon aquarium, there is the potential for the inorganic orthophosphate level to be raised by 0.4 ppm in that SINGLE FEEDING! That fact can be a significant issue for reefkeepers."

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also found Randys phosphate article, which has me concerned.

"Flake fish food is typically about 1% phosphorus (3% phosphate equivalent) by weight. Many products have phosphorus-content data on their labels. Consequently, if 5 grams of flake food is added to a 100-gallon aquarium, there is the potential for the inorganic orthophosphate level to be raised by 0.4 ppm in that SINGLE FEEDING! That fact can be a significant issue for reefkeepers."
well that may expalin my issue with PO4. I feed mostly pellets and they are a repack so i really have no idea what they are. the lfs said they were the good ones.... i run gfo, just a few tablespoons and my phos are in the 0.2 range...i just cant seem to budge them.... i dont want to up the gfo so i may increase the fresh food feeding nd see how it goes

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well that may expalin my issue with PO4. I feed mostly pellets and they are a repack so i really have no idea what they are. the lfs said they were the good ones.... i run gfo, just a few tablespoons and my phos are in the 0.2 range...i just cant seem to budge them.... i dont want to up the gfo so i may increase the fresh food feeding nd see how it goes
I wish i could get mine down to that. Currently mine are at .97ppm po4 via hanna checker.... i use a large protein skimmer, and have a big ats thats not bringing it down...

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish i could get mine down to that. Currently mine are at .97ppm po4 via hanna checker.... i use a large protein skimmer, and have a big ats thats not bringing it down...
i ahd a friend come over the other day and i tested his water...the hanna just blinked at me when I tried to just a result...so i divided the sample and topped off with more water then doubled the result....16.8.:eek: then his nitrates were the color of one of our bali sunsets....ultra orange/red. 100++..... funny enoough his tank is clean and the corals are suoer happy...go figure

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um i have just built an ats and it is just getting gha on it now. I was hoping it would drag them down abit.... time will tell good luck with yours

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um i have just built an ats and it is just getting gha on it now. I was hoping it would drag them down abit.... time will tell good luck with yours
Well it works when it grows. But if you get lazy and dont scrape it for say 2 weeks, it doesn't reduce much po4 anymore. Ive got ulva intestinalis growing on it,ideally ive got to scrape it weekly. Plus ive got 5 large fish in my 140 gal. One of them is 12"! My emperor is 8"

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you feed frozen ?
I have bought frozen blood worms and they are like empty sausage casings so i threw them out. sometimes i can get live worms from the lfs and they love them, all nice and meaty. I do have a minced concoction in the freezer i made up of yellowfin tuna, squid, scallops, nori sheets and prawns. they seem to like it but not as much as the pellets. I will try to weem them more onto the frozen and i guess if they get hungry enough they will eat it. as for buying frozen, over here it is quite difficult to find

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it better?
To control nitrates and phosphates, yes. It’s also a better food overall than dried food, closer to what they would eat naturally.

I like to feed omnivorous frozen food; brine shrimps and mysis shrimps with spirulina. My favorite is Hikari spirulina mysis shrimps. Blood worms aren’t the best, more like an occasional treat. Mine won’t eat it either.

LRS Frenzy is also a popular choice. I like Hikari better but it’s also a good choice.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much phosphates does my food add approximately per day to my 140 gallon if im adding this much:

2.32 grams pellets
.20 grams green pellets
2.53 grams nori seaweed
Good question but that doesn’t sound a lot of food for a 140g.

Do you feed any coral foods, as they are very high in po4.

If you feed the same each day, can you not just monitor the increase of po4 each day for a week or two, that will give you a good average of the increase per day.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question but that doesn’t sound a lot of food for a 140g.

Do you feed any coral foods, as they are very high in po4.

If you feed the same each day, can you not just monitor the increase of po4 each day for a week or two, that will give you a good average of the increase per day.
No coral food. Just those quantities I listed and once a week 1 supermarket frozen shrimp for the panther grouper.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No coral food. Just those quantities I listed and once a week 1 supermarket frozen shrimp for the panther grouper.
Many of the frozen seafood has sodium tripolyphosphate added as a preservative. That's why it's always preferable if you can get fresh/live seafood, and process it yourself.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2.32 grams pellets
.20 grams green pellets
2.53 grams nori seaweed
Does the packaged food have an content analysis? This would be the first place to look for your information.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the packaged food have an content analysis? This would be the first place to look for your information.
Yes but im not sure how to calculate. I edited my first post to contain protein data.
Heres the packaging

20220925_093653.jpg 20220925_093637.jpg 20220925_093627.jpg

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but im not sure how to calculate. I edited my first post to contain protein data.
Heres the packaging

20220925_093653.jpg 20220925_093637.jpg 20220925_093627.jpg
There is no phosphous analysis! i would estimate it with the average of kelp and krill, 0.05 and 1% respectively. I did not do a very thorough search of internet data so let’s pretend for now it is 1% by weight. I think the high number for krill is from a large amount of phospholipids. Every gram of this food added would add 10 mg of P or 30 mg PO4. In 100 gallons this is about 30 mg/380 L or roughly .07 ppm.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no phosphous analysis! i would estimate it with the average of kelp and krill, 0.05 and 1% respectively. I did not do a very thorough search of internet data so let’s pretend for now it is 1% by weight. I think the high number for krill is from a large amount of phospholipids. Every gram of this food added would add 10 mg of P or 30 mg PO4. In 100 gallons this is about 30 mg/380 L or roughly .07 ppm.
So about .35ppm po4 similar as Randy said in his phosphate article for flake food at 5 grams. I just picked up some caulerpa racemosa. Hopefully it will drop it to managable levels. Otherwise ill be using lanthanum chloride! Most of my corals are struggling that resent po4 being high some have died already.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back