Food Color Dye for flow test and circulation test.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When setting up a new system. Let’s say during a fresh water leak test; Has anyone used Food Color Dye for flow test and circulation test.

May real questions, would the food dye risk staining anything (glass, silicone, equipment, etc)?

Does the dye have any adverse affects to water chemistry’s?

Hope that all made sense. Thank you!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I'd rather use something else. Basically you get one shot to see part of the flow, and then boom, the tank water is now stained and I can't see another test. BRS did one, and so did a few other youtubers, using little plastic beads. They weren't Styrofoam, but plastic, like perhaps ammo for an airsoft gun?

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think the tip BRS suggested is to inject air into your power head. They said even sometimes it'll do it by itself just by plasing a hose near and out of the tank.

I had to try it with some random rodi tubing I had. It didn't work :D I could blow in it, and generate a bubble storm.

If I had a cheap 'old school' air pump used to power an air stone.. I would just turn that on and place the hose near the pumps. That would cause a pretty constant storm of bubbles ithink.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn’t just display I was thinking about, but sump, and specific equipment as well.

Interesting, I doubt I will try, I was just curious. Thanks everyone!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back