Food defroster

ReefRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to get a food defroster because I always forget that the food is still in the cup so I forget to pour it. Also I want to cut that time out of me having to defrost and stirrer than poor. Had anyone tried this item? ........its from BRS.com and I was thinking what it made it my self with these items. I would cut the pipe to lenght that I would need then glue it to the magnet and be done.. I need your opinions and reviews on this if anybody has made one or purchase this or has thought about it. Thanks!

Screenshot_20171103-110530.jpg

20171103_104837.jpg

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one do I respond to there is 2 of the same thread!

This guy is Extra Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to get a food defroster because I always forget that the food is still in the cup so I forget to pour it. Also I want to cut that time out of me having to defrost and stirrer than poor. Had anyone tried this item? ........its from BRS.com and I was thinking what it made it my self with these items. I would cut the pipe to lenght that I would need then glue it to the magnet and be done.. I need your opinions and reviews on this if anybody has made one or purchase this or has thought about it. Thanks!

Screenshot_20171103-110530.jpg

20171103_104837.jpg

I am currently using the aqua gadget defroster, it is a nifty little thing but be wary of the “holes” on each of the two cups. You want some movement within the defroster cup so the food will trickle down into hungry mouths. But I learned the hard way when I put dried food that it just pours out the side... I do highly recommend the product, it’s it’s keeping my 3 RBTA fat and multiplying, 2 clowns, 4 chromis, 2 mandarin fish, a damsel, 3 gobies and a handful of invertebrates well fed

image.jpg

OP
OP
ReefRyan

ReefRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whichever one you want to. I figured not everybody would be looking at this post or the other so I wanted to get more opinions and feedbacks on this product

OP
OP
ReefRyan

ReefRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using the aqua gadget defroster, it is a nifty little thing but be wary of the “holes” on each of the two cups. You want some movement within the defroster cup so the food will trickle down into hungry mouths. But I learned the hard way when I put dried food that it just pours out the side... I do highly recommend the product, it’s it’s keeping my 3 RBTA fat and multiplying, 2 clowns, 4 chromis, 2 mandarin fish, a damsel, 3 gobies and a handful of invertebrates well fed

image.jpg

Thanks for the response! I've been seeing that the magnet becomes rusted very quickly. How long have you had yours and have you noticed anything faulty about the magnet

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the aqua gadget defroster for 1.5 years now. Magnet is still strong and clean. It is enclose by plastic material, so unless there is a breakage in that plastic I wouldn't worry about magnet rust.

It is tricky to setup this thing since the side holes will leak some food out and food will flow at the surface. I am still figuring how to set this thing right.

OP
OP
ReefRyan

ReefRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the aqua gadget defroster for 1.5 years now. Magnet is still strong and clean. It is enclose by plastic material, so unless there is a breakage in that plastic I wouldn't worry about magnet rust.

It is tricky to setup this thing since the side holes will leak some food out and food will flow at the surface. I am still figuring how to set this thing right.

Have you seen the video on BRS ?..would this product work for bottom feeder fish like mandarins .ect. Just curious if the food would actually float down to the bottom eventually ,if there was low flow

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen the video while back already. It also depends on your flow. I have my powerhead aiming closely to the defroster causing some turbulence so that's why I got some food leak out from side hole.

If your flow is low then sinking type food should be flow down to bottom. Or switch to another long tube type stuff that will be close to the bottom for your bottom feeder. i would recommend later for bottom feeder.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one for a while. I never understood the point of the holes in the top half - always had to have them up out of the water to keep the still-frozen food from washing out. Also needed to have it positioned so that there was some flow sweeping past the openings in the bottom to get the food moving enough to come out gradually, never seemed to get it positioned in a way that worked consistently. Then the magnet started rusting and swelling, so I pulled it out.

This guy is Extra Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the video on BRS ?..would this product work for bottom feeder fish like mandarins .ect. Just curious if the food would actually float down to the bottom eventually ,if there was low flow

Yes it would eventually get to the bottom for mandarin dragonets, I first started to target feed them. Then I gave gadget a try and now all of my fish go straight to the bottom of the cup whenever I open the lid to my tank.

This guy is Extra Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! I've been seeing that the magnet becomes rusted very quickly. How long have you had yours and have you noticed anything faulty about the magnet

I have had it in for roughly 6months
I haven’t seen any swelling or rust accumulating. Whenever I do my biweekly heavy maintenance

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine for a few months before the magnet started to rust. I sent it back and they replaced it. Other than that I liked the product. It kept the frozen food in one location long enough for it to slowly defrost and different fish would come up to it and eat.

ecdragonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the same thing.Couldn't pay the price they were selling those thing for.Nice

SmokeyGnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC07B600-7243-4AFA-BBB4-C333877AD07D.jpeg
I made this a while back. It’s 2” long section of 2” diameter pvc with a suction cup on the back and a hydroponic net pot dropped in the middle. Cost me less than $5 and works fine

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back