Food For a Mixed Reef

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need your advice and expertise on what concoction is best for my tank. from Vitamins to Food. I want to incorporate a schedule for my fish and corals (Mixed Reef/SPS dominant). I currently use Reef Plus once a week for vitamins and amino acids. What else is good to feed?

Live Stock:

Corals- SPS (Acros, Birds Nest), LPS (Chalices, Torches, Duncans) Softies (Ricordias and Zoas)

Fish- 1 orange back angel, 1 Blenny, and 1 Chromis

Inverts- Fire shrimp, Zebra snails, Turbo snails, Hermits

Foods/Supplements i have in mind and I would appreciate your feed back. Phytoplex, Zooplex, Microvert, Cyclopeez. Is there anything else i can mix together to cover everything in my tank?

Want to give them the right stuff for growth and color. All around best health

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just feed your fish with a blend like Rod's food and keep the water clean. On top of that you can dose amino acids to help bring out a bit more.

I make a DIY blend that feeds the tank. Once your SPS start to really grow you will notice your water clear up faster when you feed the tank with a "Blend" of food daily.

OP
OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY blend? is Reef Plus a good amino suppement? should I mix it with Roggers?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396672655.476464.jpg

OP
OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for a mixed reef. Just started introducing more High End SPS. would need to create a DIY blend? Im just trying to figure out what concoction works best to feed all species in my tank in one feeding. ive been getting so many different advice. Roggers, Apox, Cyclopeez, Vitachem, Microvert, Coral Macro Diet, Oyster eggs Etc. Etc. Whats more healthy and would not pollute my water?

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food like Roggers and Rods are complete reef foods so you shouldn't need a whole lot more than that. These blends have small particles for corals and larger pieces for the fish (which eventually becomes coral food after the fish poop). I know WWC feed Roggers exclusively 3 times a day, no aminos or phyto or target feeding, and they get good SPS growth. I think the key is to feed a blend regularly that your reef becomes accustomed to. Remember corals want a stable environment, not just temp and parameters but availability of food as well. I've seen many who incorporate all of the foods mentioned into their own blend so their reef is fed a little bit of everything each feeding and their tanks usually look awesome. I would like to do this the next time I stock up on frozen foods cause my system isn't big enough for a cube of everything so I'd like to thaw all these different foods, mix them together and put them into tiny ice cube trays to freeze and that will simplify feedings and make it easier on the folks who feed my tank when I can't.

OP
OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to purchase Roggers online but as i was going to check out there was a 24.99
Frozen feeod delivery fee. So i was going to check at my lfs instread

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Rods food or Rogers. I make my own with Prawns, squid, cod, Krill, Mysis, rotifers, cyclopeeze, and selcon. It costs about $20 to make three months of food for my larger reef and I feed a lot daily. Like I've said before, I feed my tank. Not just the fish.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool i just bought a mini Fridge of Craigslist last night for $20 for strictly Fish products and also ordered a bunch of stuff just in case. Selcon, Vitachem, Cyclopeez, Acropower, trace elements, APOX.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396815012.234445.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396815029.682059.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396815029.682059.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 217
Back