Food Smokers: Talk to me-recommendations

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, it is not, by far the most expensive kamado by far. Second the cheapest out of the door is not always the least expensive.
Third if you use it extensively you can easily save far more in really good and enjoyable meals compared to eating out to end up on the good money wise in short order.

A $200 smoker can make just as good of a meal as the $1200 green egg, so they could save a lot more by not getting a green egg.

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A $200 smoker can make just as good of a meal as the $1200 green egg, so they could save a lot more by not getting a green egg.
I'm not a Egg grill fan... but quality tools are worth the cost. My green moutain grill was a grand, a decade back. Wish it had lasted a bit longer, but I'm not unhappy with it. I'm hopeful that the new Pit Boss, at roughly half the cost, will last as long.

Yes, you can smoke in a home built, and come out with food just as good. But. There's trade-offs. Those cheap Webber barrel smokers? Hey, I had one too, back in the day. Did a ton of meat on it before the bottom rusted out of it. Nothing in the world wrong with them, but I won't be using one again. I'd much rather spend a bit more and have the kind of convenience that my pellet smoker's give me.

Hey, I have an Apex, an AWC system, custom tank, custom stand... My money, my choice.

Doesn't belittle the guys that had a much smaller budget to work with. My first marine system was low budget, too.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a regular home depot propane but would like a smoker again. I had a green egg but it took a lot to get it going. I like the idea of a pellet smoker.

Anyone have experience with traeger?

I was considering this one
Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Pellet Grill https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IH27ZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Un8ICbN93E23S
They dont make them in the USA anymore, that was a big deterrent for me.

I think without knowing what the person is looking for its hard to tell. Peronsally I prefer charcoal over my pellet smokers, but I do like the ease of being able to just load pellets and not deal with the start up of my charcoals.

For charcoal I would highly recommend the Weber Smokey Mountain, this was a my first smoker and I loved being able to learn on it. Not too expensive either.

For pellet given the cost a pit boss would do just fine, I tend to steer away from them, but I have been smoking for a long time and smoke a lot more than the avg person so I have higher end units.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have a regular home depot propane but would like a smoker again. I had a green egg but it took a lot to get it going. I like the idea of a pellet smoker.

Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Pellet Grill https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IH27ZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Un8ICbN93E23S

They are fine. You will probably hear about more problems with them but they also outsell everyone else in the market by allot.
Warranties are great.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yup.

Trager started the whole Pellet Grill thing. Over a decade back, I was at an all day event, probably 20 guys, sleeping in tents in a friend's back yard. The guy hosting was a butcher. We got up, 7am, he hauled out his big, first generation Trager. I'd never seen one before. Filled up the hopper, put a rear quarter of a pig on it, and we left for the day.

5pm, we come rolling back in, he sticks a thermometer in the pig... yup. Done. Served that pork with a pair of plastic salad tongs. Some of the best pork I'd ever eaten.

When I got back from that trip, I started doing research. Trager had just fininished moving their production to China. The model that my friend had was no longer avilable.. with China production, metal got thin, quality suffered... I bought the Green Mountain grill. Why? Made in the USA, much better quality than Trager at that time.

My Pit Boss is, I'm pretty sure, China made. But... it's heavy powder coated steel, heavy gauge stainless internals... as heavy as my Green Mountain was, and that was painted.

I understand that Trager had some backlash on quality, and may have improved... Still, I'd get my hands on a current generation unit before making my choice. What they were building a decade ago was no bargain.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup.

Trager started the whole Pellet Grill thing. Over a decade back, I was at an all day event, probably 20 guys, sleeping in tents in a friend's back yard. The guy hosting was a butcher. We got up, 7am, he hauled out his big, first generation Trager. I'd never seen one before. Filled up the hopper, put a rear quarter of a pig on it, and we left for the day.

5pm, we come rolling back in, he sticks a thermometer in the pig... yup. Done. Served that pork with a pair of plastic salad tongs. Some of the best pork I'd ever eaten.

When I got back from that trip, I started doing research. Trager had just fininished moving their production to China. The model that my friend had was no longer avilable.. with China production, metal got thin, quality suffered... I bought the Green Mountain grill. Why? Made in the USA, much better quality than Trager at that time.

My Pit Boss is, I'm pretty sure, China made. But... it's heavy powder coated steel, heavy gauge stainless internals... as heavy as my Green Mountain was, and that was painted.

I understand that Trager had some backlash on quality, and may have improved... Still, I'd get my hands on a current generation unit before making my choice. What they were building a decade ago was no bargain.

Green mountain is made in China now too...

Matter of fact most are now except for some of the really expensive ones like the Yoder.

I tried to find some made here that were more affordable.

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m spending a good chunk of change on a pellet grill I would rather have something I know is good quality. I was between the GM and traeger but now i may have to rethink this

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I’m spending a good chunk of change on a pellet grill I would rather have something I know is good quality. I was between the GM and traeger but now i may have to rethink this

Nothing wrong with Green mountain and they may be made in China but they are still higher quality than other grills in the same price range.

Green mountain and Camp Chef are the two I am looking at for a new grill...
I guess Green Mountain has more control over their manufacturing.

The thing about pellet grills is they have auger and fan. They are near high heat and outside usually.
Probably not going to last 10 years anyway.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I get to talk for a moment about another unrelated passion of mine here on R2R!!! LOL!

I have had a Kamado Joe Classic for almost 8 years now. I have had charcoal, gas, stick and yeah... I bought and sold a pellet grill. They all have their purpose I guess. I have never enjoyed cooking as much as I have with my Kamado Joe. It is a great grill / smoker and it comes from a terrific company.

Having said all of this.... and one of your asks was lower cost... I have seen Vision Grills that are pretty reasonable that brings the Kamado cooking to a lower price point. They are pretty good quality...and cook pretty well. I have friends who have electric and gas... they just can't get the outcomes I can. Pellet grills are very convenient... good quality output... I guess they are also a bit more set and forget... which is a selling point.

Smoking and grilling meats is a passion of mine. I cook on my grill year round... I have smoked at -15 degrees and -45 windchill with snow blowing horizontal... Yeah I know.... some people say I am nuts.....

Pictures are from super bowl weekend... marinated Tri Tips... some ABTs.... Darn... now I am hungry.... :)

image-56726.jpeg image-56593.jpeg image-56672.jpeg image-56620.jpeg

ImGoingCoastal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, Webber Smokey Mountains come highly recommended and apparently are used by a lot of competitive smokers. That said, I am new to the game and am just learning myself.

They seem somewhat straight forward to use. Though, any smoker will require time and research (quite a bit) to be done right, regardless of which option you chose.

Though I am only 4 smokes in, the Webber Smokey mountain is pretty awesome. I did own a Cuisinart smoker once before and the build quality didn't seem so great comparably.

I bought my WSM off of Facebook marketplace brand new for $200.

If I were giving one, I'd get the WSM for sure. You always want to give someone the best, most recognizable option, and from what I've seen, if the Weber isn't the best, it's close.

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with Green mountain and they may be made in China but they are still higher quality than other grills in the same price range.

Green mountain and Camp Chef are the two I am looking at for a new grill...
I guess Green Mountain has more control over their manufacturing.

The thing about pellet grills is they have auger and fan. They are near high heat and outside usually.
Probably not going to last 10 years anyway.

I have a campchef woodwind that I absolutely love. I have also had a GMG Daniel Boone, I think the Camp Chef is made a little better. My most recent buy which is the Rec Tec R700, this is my go to now and the best pellet grill that I have owned.

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, Webber Smokey Mountains come highly recommended and apparently are used by a lot of competitive smokers. That said, I am new to the game and am just learning myself.

They seem somewhat straight forward to use. Though, any smoker will require time and research (quite a bit) to be done right, regardless of which option you chose.

Though I am only 4 smokes in, the Webber Smokey mountain is pretty awesome. I did own a Cuisinart smoker once before and the build quality didn't seem so great comparably.

I bought my WSM off of Facebook marketplace brand new for $200.

If I were giving one, I'd get the WSM for sure. You always want to give someone the best, most recognizable option, and from what I've seen, if the Weber isn't the best, it's close.

Harry Soo, with Slap Yo Daddy BBQ has one hundrends of competitions with his Weber Smokey Mountains, he brags about beating people that come in pulling their $10k trailers. He was the reason I bought my WSM. I love the taste of charcoal smoking vs pellet smoking.

ImGoingCoastal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His site is where I got my break in directions!

He's got some good tips. I was supposed to be smoking a brisket today but that ended up not happening!

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love my Traeger! Ive been running it for 6 years now, I replaced the temp probe recently, and since I had it all open did the glow plug as well but other than that it has been a champ.

I also add a bunch of bricks under the grate to help retain heat. It really helps smooth out the temperature.

I bought mine at Costco, you can get a much bigger one than the Junior for the same price. They usually have super good deals around christmas. There are costco specific models,,, those are the ones to get!

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So out of these options which do you think is worth the money

Pit Boss 700FB Pellet Grill, 700 sq. in. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFX0104/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_z58ICbXNCYGX9

Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Pellet Grill https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IH27ZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J68ICbBS9M4BC

Camp Chef PG24DLX Deluxe Pellet Grill and Smoker BBQ with Digital Controls and Stainless Temp Probe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVELGT6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lb9ICbAQ440BB
Personally I would go with the Camp Chef, I love mine and their customer service if you ever need them is outstanding. Mine came with a dented lid, they overnighted me a new one and threw in 2 20# bags of pellets without me even asking.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So out of these options which do you think is worth the money

Pit Boss 700FB Pellet Grill, 700 sq. in. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFX0104/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_z58ICbXNCYGX9

Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Pellet Grill https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IH27ZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J68ICbBS9M4BC

Camp Chef PG24DLX Deluxe Pellet Grill and Smoker BBQ with Digital Controls and Stainless Temp Probe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVELGT6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lb9ICbAQ440BB

Camp chef for sure out of that list.

Also beware of Sq. In of cooking space because some list the top shelf and some do not.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back