Food Smokers: Talk to me-recommendations

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So out of these options which do you think is worth the money

Pit Boss 700FB Pellet Grill, 700 sq. in. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFX0104/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_z58ICbXNCYGX9

Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Pellet Grill https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IH27ZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J68ICbBS9M4BC

Camp Chef PG24DLX Deluxe Pellet Grill and Smoker BBQ with Digital Controls and Stainless Temp Probe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVELGT6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lb9ICbAQ440BB

Cook size: Pit Boss: 700SqInches, Traeger: 300 Sq Inches, Camp Chef: 429 Sq Inches.

I looked at a Camp Chef before I bought my Pit Boss. Nice machine, really. If I hadn't found the Pit Boss on sale, I'd have probably gone that way.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rigged my WSM with a BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 temperature controller for long overnight cooks. Holds my temperatures within 3 degrees of my set temperature. I had a Camp Chef propane smoker prior to the WSM, but after using both and tasting Q from a friend’s pellet smoker, nothing beats the unmistakable flavor of “real fire” BBQ IMO.

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a regular home depot propane but would like a smoker again. I had a green egg but it took a lot to get it going. I like the idea of a pellet smoker.

Anyone have experience with traeger?

I was considering this one
Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Pellet Grill https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IH27ZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Un8ICbN93E23S
I started out with a Treager and had problems with the controller keeping the right temp. I have since upgraded to the RecTec RT-680 and love it. For sure way more expensive but in my opinion well worth it. Also customer support is second to none, you actually get the owners cell number after purchase.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At my apartment, we're not allowed to use anything that is wood fueled, so I am automatically restricted to an electric smoker. I use a Masterbuilt (mine is the older model, but it's basically one like THIS), and I love it! I use an A-Maz-N pellet smoker accessory inside it, and that works wonders. It's pretty much set it and forget it.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A-Maze-N pellet smoker contraption came in handy when I had my propane Camp Chef. Now I use it for low temperature smoking for nuts, cheese and salmon in my WSM. Definitely a great gadget for smoker enthusiasts.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this has turned into a pellet smoker thread. Greybeard my sons only complaint on his pit boss it does not get hot enough for steaks?

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my apartment, we're not allowed to use anything that is wood fueled, so I am automatically restricted to an electric smoker. I use a Masterbuilt (mine is the older model, but it's basically one like THIS), and I love it! I use an A-Maz-N pellet smoker accessory inside it, and that works wonders. It's pretty much set it and forget it.

The A-Maz-N products are awesome. When im using my pellet smoker I use their tube filled with pellets for more smoke.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this has turned into a pellet smoker thread. Greybeard my sons only complaint on his pit boss it does not get hot enough for steaks?
Several non-pellet folks have voiced their opinions... we've got egg fans, electric smoker folks, even a guy who likes propane <shudder>.

My pit boss has a setting for 500f, but I've never turned it up that high. I generally cook steaks at 450f. Gives it a nice sear. There's a slide that opens up a grill directly over the firebox, so you can get direct fire to the steaks... but I've never needed to open it. Did some ribeye's just the other day... local grass fed beef, sliced potatoes and onions on the side... Awesome.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They also make a side attachment for the Masterbuilts for a cold smoke, my buddy did some salmon and it was just like the silky stuff that comes from Maine.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy any American Gourmet Char Broil units, they went downhill with thickness and design.

My second smoker was the small side barrel American Gourmet from around 2004. That was a great unit for learning to BBQ. It finally fell apart a few years ago(still have the fire box). I replaced it with the newer version, junk, junk, junk. thin metal, many seams. I still use if for grilling, but never for slow smoking. I bought a masterbuild a couple years ago and I do like it for slow smoking.

The real question to ask is what do you want the unit to be able to cook and how fast? BBQ ribs, brisket, chicken, fish, veggies? Do you want it to work as a grill at times and a BBQ smoker at other times or something in between?

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No love for old smokey?! 50 bucks at walmart out the door!

We're going to get a smoker sometime next year or two. We currently have a natural gas grill (no cleaning ashes, no messing w/ propane tanks -pretty awesome when you like to grill 3-5 times a week). We'll use a smoke box with it. its not ideal or the best, but it gets the job done.

We used to have one of those giant concrete eggs back in the 90s. Took 4 grown men to move it, but you could cook a whole turkey using only 3 coal briquettes (I may be exaggerating here).

Personally, I like BBQ that come from any grill. Wheres the BBQ at?!

Also, I want to remind everyone -- everything is bigger in Texas. I seent this bad boy driving to Austin a while back. Capable of grilling 4 tons of meat. Party time!

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/the-worlds-largest-bbq-smoker-is-for-sale-in-brenham/

OP
OP
Breadman03

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all of your input and I forwarded the recommendations. She ended up going with the endcap special at Home Depot.

Meanwhile, I'm giving smoking a hard look myself. I broke out the little smoker box for my propane grill and bought an iGrill Bluetooth thermometer. I'm leaning toward a pellet smoker, with an intended use of making jerky through maybe 5 lb. roasts. I'll probably buy no earlier than fall since I don't need it.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a Egg grill fan... but quality tools are worth the cost. My green moutain grill was a grand, a decade back. Wish it had lasted a bit longer, but I'm not unhappy with it. I'm hopeful that the new Pit Boss, at roughly half the cost, will last as long.

Yes, you can smoke in a home built, and come out with food just as good. But. There's trade-offs. Those cheap Webber barrel smokers? Hey, I had one too, back in the day. Did a ton of meat on it before the bottom rusted out of it. Nothing in the world wrong with them, but I won't be using one again. I'd much rather spend a bit more and have the kind of convenience that my pellet smoker's give me.

Hey, I have an Apex, an AWC system, custom tank, custom stand... My money, my choice.

Doesn't belittle the guys that had a much smaller budget to work with. My first marine system was low budget, too.

I agree. My $150 off set smoker lasted me nearly 10 years. It still worked, just finally decided I wanted an upgrade. My only point was the OP said inexpensive and a green egg is not inexpensive. They never actually gave a price, so i could be totally wrong and $1200 to them may be cheap. Heck, if I thought the green egg would actually be a great upgrade I would pay the price. I've currently got my off set and I have a pit boss pellet smoker like you. Just need to put it together.

What brand pellets do you use? I've read bad things about the treager brand pellets, read they put a lot of fillers in theirs so there isn't much actual wood. Seems my Lowes only carries the Pit Boss mixed bag. My preferred wood is pecan.

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Joe gets it done. Affordable and lots of mods on the internet that will make it a BEAST.
4392fba0031403ffe04067f5a08c55c0.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand pellets do you use? I've read bad things about the treager brand pellets, read they put a lot of fillers in theirs so there isn't much actual wood.

For good smoking pellets, I like Louisiana Grills pellets. Trager appear to be 'flavored' hardwood, not the actual wood itself... I don't buy them.

I have a pellet stove in the house as backup heat. The pellets I buy for heating originate at a Barrel Stave mill in Lebanon, MO, about 3o miles from home. Pure white oak. Instead of the nearly dollar a pound that smoking pellets cost, I pay about $190 per ton for white oak pellets... and yes, I use them in my pellet smoker. I got no problem smoking on white oak... no, I'm not going to do an expensive piece of meat on it, for that, I'll by Louisiana Grill pellets, but burgers and brats? Even the occasional steak? You bet. White oak it is :)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Joe gets it done. Affordable and lots of mods on the internet that will make it a BEAST.

Any relation to what used to be Oklahoma Joe's BBQ in Kansas City? Changed their name to Joe's KC BBQ some time ago... Man, that's some good stuff! Their ZMan sandwich... Brisket, sauced, and topped with a fried onion ring and a slice of provelone cheese. Mmmmmm. Best BBQ you can get in a gas station, without a doubt.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the master craft gas smoker. I love it. No issues with it what so ever

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back