(for an article) tell me the funniest thing that has ever happened to you related to your aquarium

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my work at a small public aquarium we once ordered 20-30 small live green crabs/shore crabs as food for an octopus. We ordered from a local fisherman. When he came with the crabs he didn't have 20 crabs, he brought 20kg of live crabs..

Knowing he probably wouldn't return the crabs to the ocean we took all of them and housed then in some holding tanks. Being so many some of them manage to escape and we had crabs walking around everywhere behind the scenes for a while.
The octopus was pleased.

OP
OP
Seawitch

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I've got one. Not as funny as some of the previous ones but I remember it vividly. About 20 years, again--we're talking freshwater again--I decided I needed a planted tank or "Dutch" aquarium. So, to save a few dollars, I ordered a high-intensity fluorescent kit that came in 1000 pieces and with no instructions. So, I told my son, then in high school--my *gifted* class-clown son--that I'd pay him and a friend of his $50 each if they could put that thing together so I could mount it and use it. For a week, the two boys spent every afternoon, after school, in my front room with all those pieces laid out on the floor. My son was always busy talking, and his friend was studying all the pieces. After a week, while my son was doing headstands inside the laundry basket, his friend--thankfully--put it together, and it worked. And they each got their $50. And I got my planted aquarium. It was great because I wound up growing and flowering orchids on top of the aquarium and under the lights. Pretty terrific for Calgary, USDA garden zone 3a.

IMG_3341mbaqu.JPG

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it wasn't funny at the time, a thousand years ago, my roommates and I had a party back in college. I walked by my aquarium during the middle of the event and saw a sub sandwich floating in the tank. The fish were picking at it and apparently liked deli.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back