For everyone against the cleaner wrasse

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is to be explored. Just keep doing your thing. Don't listen to anybody.
When I do my own thing and not what the stores tell me, my tank flourishes.
Sorry for derailing, just can't stand when people try to talk people out of a thought that is now a reality.
Enjoy your fish. He/she looks happy. If it dies go buy another.

no fear=get what you want
You forgot the “GG” at the end.. The reason why people try to talk “people out of a fish you already bought” is because if something happens to it then he/she would think it was something they did and not that the fish is too hard to keep so they will end up buying another one .. but on the other hand if people tell me I shouldn’t have bought a certain fish and something happens to it out of nowhere then I will know they were right and we’re trying to help me and I shouldn’t go get another one

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is to be explored. Just keep doing your thing. Don't listen to anybody.
Sorry for derailing, just can't stand when people try to talk people out of a thought that is now a reality.

Without understanding of why something does or does not work, then just doing something for the sake of doing it isn't very wise.

The op is the one that started the thread, so others aren't talking him out of the decision that is already made, but rather providing counterpoints to his statement.

Cleaner wrasses don't have a great survival rate in captivity. I've found it to be somewhere between 30-50%. This isn't just a few instances either, but across the hobby. However, some do well in captivity. Pushing the limits and trying things that others have failed is a great way to expand our understanding, individually and as a hobby. But, without understanding why some fail and others succeed, continuing to purchase them only perpetuates destructive and irresponsible practices.

As consumers we vote and support with our dollars. By buying something with a poor survival rate and replacing it when it dies just continues the cycle. By buying a living creature we are becoming stewards of that animal and should do our best to keep it alive, and if it proves to be beyond our ability, should not jus keep replacing them only to doom them.

The op started a thread 'For Everyone Against Cleaner Wrasses in Captivity', but provided no reasoning as to why he was 'successful'.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That isn't very good advice for anyone especially someone new to the hobby. We all make mistakes and purchase fish we probably shouldn't have while we are learning. The advice of others more experienced can save us and the fish from future mistakes.

I hate the attitude of if it dies just replace it.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it dies go buy another.

This kind of thinking is not only incredibly irresponsible, but also quite disturbing. The animals we keep are not disposable and this rational is harmful to our industry and the environment.

What @eatbreakfast said above is incredibly important here.

75galOCD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a cleaner wrasse in my first reef and one is next on my list of fish for my current reef. I love them, I had no problems with my first one.

OP
OP
Jayp5117

Jayp5117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without understanding of why something does or does not work, then just doing something for the sake of doing it isn't very wise.

The op is the one that started the thread, so others aren't talking him out of the decision that is already made, but rather providing counterpoints to his statement.

Cleaner wrasses don't have a great survival rate in captivity. I've found it to be somewhere between 30-50%. This isn't just a few instances either, but across the hobby. However, some do well in captivity. Pushing the limits and trying things that others have failed is a great way to expand our understanding, individually and as a hobby. But, without understanding why some fail and others succeed, continuing to purchase them only perpetuates destructive and irresponsible practices.

As consumers we vote and support with our dollars. By buying something with a poor survival rate and replacing it when it dies just continues the cycle. By buying a living creature we are becoming stewards of that animal and should do our best to keep it alive, and if it proves to be beyond our ability, should not jus keep replacing them only to doom them.

The op started a thread 'For Everyone Against Cleaner Wrasses in Captivity', but provided no reasoning as to why he was 'successful'.
There is no ryme or reason to as why he is still alive and our stays alive. I never buy a fish with the thoughts of it dying that's why I have a hospital tank ready for the rare time something happens. And I took advice from someone in the business not just someone out if no where. So far he has been great I hope it continues to stay that way. But I agree if this is the case where the success rate is so low we should probably stop collecting them from the wild.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no ryme or reason to as why he is still alive and our stays alive. I never buy a fish with the thoughts of it dying that's why I have a hospital tank ready for the rare time something happens. And I took advice from someone in the business not just someone out if no where. So far he has been great I hope it continues to stay that way. But I agree if this is the case where the success rate is so low we should probably stop collecting them from the wild.

That's not how this works. Who dictates which species should stop being collected based off of captive survival rates? No one. If a species generally doesn't do well in captivity, we shouldn't purchase them because purchasing them only encourages more collection. I'm not sure who advised you on this purchase, but doing a little more research on the topic would have shown many articles/posts about how poorly these fish do in aquariums in general. With a fish like this, a hospital tank likely wouldn't help and the problems they have are not necessarily due to diseases.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased one almost two years ago before I knew better, but it has been one of the hardiest fish I've owned. Eats everything, including PE pellets and nori sheets on the clip.

The downside with the fish is those that are more timid, it can easily send them into hiding. My firefish took a good month to get accustomed to it before it would leave the little cave it's claimed. It's a very active fish, easily the most active in the tank, and will often do the up and down tail flashing thing when I'm at the tank.

Is that a good review for owning one? Given the mortality rate, probably not. I'd be hesitant to buy another one unless I saw it eating very well at the LFS. Even then, it would be a 50/50 call.

OP
OP
Jayp5117

Jayp5117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not how this works. Who dictates which species should stop being collected based off of captive survival rates? No one. If a species generally doesn't do well in captivity, we shouldn't purchase them because purchasing them only encourages more collection. I'm not sure who advised you on this purchase, but doing a little more research on the topic would have shown many articles/posts about how poorly these fish do in aquariums in general. With a fish like this, a hospital tank likely wouldn't help and the problems they have are not necessarily due to diseases.
The hospital isn't for him it's for my other fish that may get sick. It's not a sience or something that will change because I said it. But it's an idea and if you are so concerned about it than any idea would be a step in the right direction.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it's an idea and if you are so concerned about it than any idea would be a step in the right direction.

No not really because the idea has to actually be feasible. In the case of fish that have poor survival rates in captivity, the most simple and logical step in the right direction for anyone would be to not make the purchase.

OP
OP
Jayp5117

Jayp5117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth be told survivability of any fish is probably low, considering any person can buy a fish that's for sale doesn't mean it's going to survive. How about places like petco that buy stuff but they have mass amount of die off or How about green chromis which have a terrible shipping survivability? Unfortunately it's part of this hobby and I don't care who you are it happens but so far my fish has been doing great and I'm happy with it.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth be told survivability of any fish is probably low, considering any person can buy a fish that's for sale doesn't mean it's going to survive. How about places like petco that buy stuff but they have mass amount of die off or How about green chromis which have a terrible shipping survivability? Unfortunately it's part of this hobby and I don't care who you are it happens but so far my fish has been doing great and I'm happy with it.

Wait wait wait. Where are you getting these ideas? It's the aquarists responsibility to be sure they can properly keep any animal they purchase and the survivability of any fish is not low. It's well known that many fish available to us can live for 15 to 20 years under our care, which is longer than they would live in the wild. As long as chromis are collected and packed properly, they ship just as well as other fish. Animals dying is NOT "just a part of this hobby". If you do your research, prepare, and keep up on maintenance, things should not be dying.

Last edited:

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait wait wait. Where are you getting these ideas? It's the aquarists responsibility to be sure they can properly keep any animal they purchase and the survivability of any fish is not low. It's well known that many fish available to us can live for 15 to 20 years under our care, which is shorter than they would live in the wild. As long as chromis are collected and packed properly, they ship just as well as other fish. Animals dying is NOT "just a part of this hobby". If you do your research, prepare, and keep up on maintenance, things should not be dying.

I was bought a cleaner wrasse when I first started as I'd always been fascinated by them. I researched everything that I wanted but my brother thought it would be a good present (probably because it was cheap, which is a problem I see with this species). If I would have researched it I wouldn't have got one but it lived for 3 years which I see as a failure. It lasted 2 and a half years in good health before it faded over the next 6 months. In the wild it would have lasted far longer and since I'm not confident I could keep one for a natural lifespan I won't go near one. It's the same thought I have when considering anything, if I don't feel confident I can keep it alive then I won't even contemplate keeping it.

I'd never want to tell anyone what to keep because everyone should make their own informed choices but often when things come with a warning specific or care instructions it's for a reason.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have seen and experienced with cleaners, African blue streak cleaners seem to be hardy and fare well, and eat prepared foods readily. But all other kinds are trickier.

Bug235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for over two years and cleans my blond tang and all my wrasses when they slow down
IMG_7384.JPG
IMG_7387.JPG
IMG_7386.JPG

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This X1000

jpcrash1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cleaner wrasse and he eats everything including nori! My lfs said there were not that difficult as everyone says and I took a chance. He is awesome! My sixline went after him at first, untill he let him have it . Now they are best buds.

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a bonded pair years ago and then the tank crashed. So when we started this tank my wife had to have another one, he is a good fish just like most other clowns.
Thanks, setting up another tank and thinking of getting one

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back