For everyone against the cleaner wrasse

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one for 2 years, great fish, very active, even picks at my arm when I’m cleaning. I feed once a day, frozen cubes of various stuff, nori, and algae pellets, eats everything.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with dan. 90 g mixed reef. Cleaner wrasse two years. Sailfin, blue tang, Foxface all line up for a cleaning. It also eats everything, flakes, pellets, mysis, including all the tassels on my tassel filefish who is ticked off but grew from three to six inches.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my cleaner for 4 years in my 200 and I will never again have a tank without a cleaner wrasse. Great personality and eats everything and anything I put in the tank. Every morning from 8-10am he is hard at work with his drive thru Tang Wash and my Fish love lining up to get cleaned. I fought for years with my Achilles having ick 24/7 and now he is totally clean and no no signs in years. I think it’s a must have for me

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a fish that works for some setups, and doesn't work for others. I have found that if they can get into a tank 150g+ and have a decent number of client fish, cleaners can do well. I have observed that when they are added to tanks smaller than that their odds decrease drastically. There are always exceptions, but those exceptions are outliers.

Wurst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an African Blue Streak in my 300 gallon with about 35 other fish. He does great - stays busy all the time and eats whatever food goes in from above. Also loves chasing the cleaner magnet.

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U guys are making me want to get one .. they seem easier than I first thought

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for over two years and cleans my blond tang and all my wrasses when they slow down
IMG_7384.JPG
IMG_7387.JPG
IMG_7386.JPG

That guy is a cleaner goby which imo is a far better option than the cleaner wrasse that the op is talking about. I think that cleaner gobies are perfect due to their hardiness and the fact they are nearly all captive bred. We have recently seen captive bred cleaner wrasse and hopefully they will prove to be similar in a few years.

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not saying just go buy it. You should always do research. But we wouldn't have this hobbie today if it wasn't for some one killing a whole lot of species in the begging Reef times. Now theres a good chance that some species we have may only be living in our reef tanks.

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the point of being in a forum if u reject anything that goes against ur intent .. makes no sense.. Just live aquaria it from now on if you would like instead of trying to derail all the good advise the person is getting

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not saying just go buy it. You should always do research. But we wouldn't have this hobbie today if it wasn't for some one killing a whole lot of species in the begging Reef times. Now theres a good chance that some species we have may only be living in our reef tanks.
Seriously bro stop watching these conspiracy theories on YouTube.. Go out and play football .. sorry members for being blunt to this guy but I can’t take it I’m done with this thread

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the research on cleaner wrasses say? That they have a poor record in captivity. There are ways to improve it's odds, but most tanks aren't the right fit.

Repeating the same mistakes of others doesn't help anyone's understanding of how to succeed. Figuring out why there was a failure and why there was success then sharing that knowledge is how the hobby advanced.

What species are only living in reef tanks now?

slapshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my two cents I have been keeping SWF for 40 years now. I have 2 maroon clowns that are 22 years in my tank. I also have 2 yellow tangs 12 years in my tank and a purple tang for 16. There are witnesses on this forum if you don’tbelieve me. Im not bragging, I just laying the groundwork so you know I’m not some new guy making stuff up. I have been absent from the forums for three years now due to my daughter fighting a rare cancer.

I have tried and been successful in keeping cleaner wrasses. I stopped and wouldn’t buy another because my success rate wasn’t good. The one that I did keep alive for two years became a stressor for my fish after a year. Started chassing them around and started nipping skin. A natural behavior that I felt I should probably expect. Unless we want waters shut down like Hawaii we have a responsibility of researching and not trying to keep those that don’t do well.

Yes, we are better at it now then we were when I started and experiments lead to success but unless you are committed to research and environment duplication it’s irresponsible. Their are plenty of species that do well in our tanks and in my experience purchases are spur of the moment and in a short time you wouldn’t miss them if you didn’t buy them. We have to take a more global ecological view now adays or our hobby will be legislated away.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one 15 years ago. Super cool personality, very active.
Imo they require a specific diet that i haven't seen anyone identify. They will eat meaty foods and clean fish of parasites, but eventually. If they dont recieve the proper nutrition that is specific to them they will slowly starve and die. Idk if anyone has truely identified their nutritional requirements. Maybe some hit on it accidentally.
Kind of like a the mandrine back in the day. Hopefully an aquaculture facility is working with them. The average hobbiest doesnt imo have the means to identify nutritional necessities.
Mine lasted 1year in a 90g and was seemingly healthy when it died. Other fish in my systems have lived 10-15plus years.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there was a few captive bred cleaner wrasses in the last year or 2 but I can't remember the species or company that did it right now.

Bug235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy is a cleaner goby which imo is a far better option than the cleaner wrasse that the op is talking about. I think that cleaner gobies are perfect due to their hardiness and the fact they are nearly all captive bred. We have recently seen captive bred cleaner wrasse and hopefully they will prove to be similar in a few years.

Yes it is a cleaner gobbie my bad got wrapped up in the wrasse ?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back