For those that do not do water changes how do you control algae?

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang gang, Turbos, Lawnmowers - the rest is a scam to get in your wallet (refugiums, ATS). I feed my tanks better than my kids (6 times a day) just to keep nitrates and phosphates up! You don't need that fancy crap, just get some live stock. Pack your tank with as much coral as you can afford early on so they consumer all those nutrients. Wish I could grow more algae to feed my CUC! All you need is a skimmer (I run mine 6 hrs a day only), filter pad, forget socks... and a couple gallons of Kalk at night. You'll be growin' SPS out the wazoo! Everything else is marketing, bruh! I'm lazy and that's all I do. This system started w/1 inch frags just over a year ago, 2 part balling (part c) with traces. I don't do water changes because I don't want to destabilize my system with things like Turkish Blend salt, etc... No fancy bs otherwise.

IMG_1849.jpg
a couple of gallons?? wow

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium lol that’s about it, only maintenance I do is clean glass and remove chaeto occasionally (also dosing of course , due to no water changes)

Attachments

• EDDE87D2-5B1A-4EBE-9DBC-598EBF98D9DB.jpeg
    EDDE87D2-5B1A-4EBE-9DBC-598EBF98D9DB.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 18

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running no water changes for probably around a month maybe 2 now. Loving it so far. Things seem quite stable thankfully and I'm just fine tuning my dosing. I've been noticing more and more algae though on both the sand and the glass but I have very minimal CUC currently and trying to work out what to add to fix that issue also so I'm interested to see what people have done.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5g was covered in a forest of green (using a freshwater light will do that) so I added a Tang… two trochus, an emerald crab and a tuxedo urchin and that **** was ate up pretty quick.

Doesn’t have to be a Tang but some sort to clean up crew is important.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lot of GHA and bubble algae. A tang, 5 emerald crabs, some hermits, tons of snails, 2 urchins and a heck of a lot of manual removal did it. It hasn't come back since, but honestly if any tank has a problem with algae the best solution is to take as much out by hand. Nothing can compete with that except a balanced mature biome.

For reference I go about 2-4 months between water changes, give or take.

Ultimately the answer is some form of nutrient control. Any nutrients = some algae somewhere.
Refugium, carbon, gfo, etc. Won't stop growth but it will move it to manageable territory. And as nutrients stay stable and low enough, corals start growing faster and taking some of the stuff the algae would.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I have algae. I am dumping loads of food and aminos and reef roids to keep nutrients up. Big export and big import.

OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I have algae. I am dumping loads of food and aminos and reef roids to keep nutrients up. Big export and big import.
It comes in sometimes wether you want it or not just get fish it will make it easier lol

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just run an ATS? Then you'll never have algae issues...ever!

If the ATS clogs because you forget to harvest -- doesn't that count as an "algae issue?" :p

Using an ATS to keep algae out of your display is like confining a pre-housetrained puppy to a pen so it doesn't pee and poop all over the house.

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ATS clogs because you forget to harvest -- doesn't that count as an "algae issue?" :p

Using an ATS to keep algae out of your display is like confining a pre-housetrained puppy to a pen so it doesn't pee and poop all over the house.

I think you need to reconsider your example. If only we could train algae like a puppy can be trained?

IMO keeping an ATS has no downsides. I run mine off my drain line and it uses a 13w LED so its cost to operate is next to nothing. Natural nutrient exportation at its best.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back