For those that do not do water changes how do you control algae?

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently dosing everything including trace elements. I am also dosing nopox to keep algae at bay.

How do you guys last years without water changes when you have algae issues?

I probably need a herbivore.

I am currently dosing everything including trace elements. I am also dosing nopox to keep algae at bay.

How do you guys last years without water changes when you have algae issues?

I probably need a herbivore.
I grow algae in a diy scrubber tray. Not just chaeto but anything that grows. If it's a nuisance in the display then let it flourish in a scrubber. Harvest the growth for nutrient export. I dropped a bunch of uncured rock In a new tank in January. They were great rocks but the turf algae it brought was an issue. I just waited and a month later it's gone in the display but it's in the scrubber. I haven't changed water in more than twenty years. I dose the big 3 plus a quality multi trace solution. Good luck.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients = phosphates and nitrates
Algea needs nutrients to grow .
Or the right light!
So, our job is to find away to keep nutrients down. But not at 0 ,corals need nutrients to grow.
So you try to balance this out the best you can. There are multiple ways to achieve this goal . At the same time you have to do a balancing act with your alkalinity,calcium, magnessium and trace. For the beginner water changes are going to be the easiest way to achieve this. That is fine if you have a small tank . Salt becomes expensive for the larger tanks .
Most of us run refugium but some run algea turf scubbers. Or algea reactors.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it comes with time .

I barely ever do water changes . And when I do it’s less than 10%

nitrates are rarely ever above 5ppm
A good cuc , a good skimmer and algae grazing livestock

keeping the detritus suspended in the water long enough for mechanical filtration to pick it up

kwirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, more of my problems are due to pest additions than lack of water change, and I only have to beef up my water changes when doing a treatment for one thing or another. Blasted the tank with fluconazole 6 months ago to kill a bryopsis infestation, and did 50% water change weekly for a couple weeks to flush it out. After that ordeal, I haven't changed my water since. My pH meter's daily peak level is a rough indicator of photosynthesis in the tank, and my kH measurements are a better, but time consuming indicator. My feeding of the fish has been scaling up as the calcium/alkalinity uptake increases. I dose DIY iron using medical grade iron pills, one pill ground up to 200mL of RODI, dosing 10mL every week or so. I dose iodide here & there.

When I find time to route 2 lines from the basement to do an automatic water change system, I'm going to abandon my infrequent water change ways. The tank's in a weird spot, with cold air ducting in the way, so it's the bucket method for now, which means it's not done often.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea urchins is natures main way of keeping algae under control. I have 2 short spine decorator urchins and they keep it mowed constantly. You cannot stop algae from growing and have a living reef as coral needs those nutrients also.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back