For those who use ceramic bioballs

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a Fluval evo 13.5 it has been running for 2 years and I’ve changed the filtration system in the back with the InTank chambers and also running uv 24/7.
I’m using poly-pad then followed by ceramic bioballs and then a small fuge with chaeto that goes on when lights go out and yesterday I went to take out some of the chaeto cause it was growing too much and noticed there’s always sponges under them and I’m wondering if anyone just tosses them and then use new ones or do you guys just give it a quick rinse with saltwater.
I also have some Chemi-pure and purigen on second chamber as this is a skimmer-less tank, just wondering if changing the bioballs would have an effect or cause any type of spike. I also have 3 medium sized live rock in the tank.
Thanks in advance!

FBB53FF7-00DE-4AF1-B239-DDD3C4E7F4D3.jpeg

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure cause I’m switching out the purigen and Chemi pure blue every 3 weeks and feeding once a day reef frenzy
how much reef frenzy? and are you doing Water Changes? what is your Nitrate? rinsing the bio balls wont hurt, but it may not be the source of the issue

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 1/4 of a tablespoon and I’m doing weekly wc about 25% and currently at 7
7 isnt bad, especially for a tank this small. rinsing the bio balls could help a little bit maybe. since nano tanks lack the space for equipment and dilution that larger tanks have its to reach the same low nitrate levels

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 isnt bad, especially for a tank this small. rinsing the bio balls could help a little bit maybe. since nano tanks lack the space for equipment and dilution that larger tanks have its to reach the same low nitrate levels
It’s gotten higher recently, it used to stay around 5 or less so I just wanna get it back down. Will try the rinsing the bioballs this week when I do the WC

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back