for total "control" Which controller is best bang?

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
especially for my plan to upgrade from my 180G to either a 240G or a 320G. any help would be greatly appreciated. i'm jealous of all my compadres all getting controllers for their lights, etc..etc....blah blah OK ok controllers are great! BUT WHICH ONE? i've narrowed it down to the reef keeper elite or the neptune systems APEX.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefkeeper I've had nothing but issues with it and their support is like nothing I've ever experienced. For those reasons alone I'd suggest the apex.

gqjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 profilux units. These r the cream of the crop controllers. Not really sure if there is anything this thing can't do. Expandability is endless with the p3 units.

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex or the profilux for baller status!!!!

spoken from the big balla himself! btw great of you to do the auction bro!

although i would love a profilux i can't shell enuff scrilla for that . my wife would do something to me while i'm fast asleep if i bought that beast, and it would not be goody goody time....anyways. right now i'm in the range of a RKE or APEX Lite and expand from there.

Last edited:

Glenn

Reefer and Model Railroad
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two RKE's and one Apex ... I don't know what the RK's will do when they are connected to your wired/wireless network, but the Apex is awesome. Get the basic Apex system now (approx. $500) and then build it up (if you have to !!!) once you grow up your reef. You won't be disappointed.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get the light man buy the time you buy the add Ons to get to what a apex does your way over the cost of a apex from the start... Look for used ones I got mine for 400$ even saw on recently somewhere for 350$ just keep your eyes peeled...;)

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for Apex. It's amazing what you can do. I have mine controlling my lights (with dimming sunrise and sunset), calcium reactor, ATO, Vortechs, sump return, protein skimmer, moonlights (changes based on moon cycle), temperature (changes based on historic data for the day), etc. It sends a text if there is something wrong besides taking care of it according to the program (turns off calcium reactor if pH drops too much, turns off lighting if temp is too high, turns off non-essential equipment and lowers pumps to 50% if power goes out, etc.)

CJ

gqjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a profi pII ex for 450 shipped on another forum the other day. That's a steal. You can upgrade to a 3 down the road also.

Reggie

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the ultimate controller will be the Vertex Cerebra which is estimated to come out in June -- no word on the price yet though.

I run the Apex. What I like about it is, you can control up to the seconds level -- I use it to control 5 BRS dosers. You can also program really complicated stuff based on different say float valves, and outlet status. The iPhone app for it is top notch as well.

Last edited:

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
APEX all the way :) I love mine, and there isn't anything that I've wanted to do that it can't handle. I even use the Apex Lite app on my DroidX to control it from anywhere. I've actually turned my lights to Manual On while drive home from the airport with new fish, that way it wasn't a dark tank when I got home :)

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for all your input. Ok looks like the experts have chosen: APEX! i really appreciate all your guys input. but hey, just looking at the apex site..only diff between lite and regular ver is a ph probe????

Apex Lite System Contents $369.95
1 Apex Lite Base Unit
1 Temperature Probe
1 Apex Display Module w/ 10’ AquaBus cable
1 EnergyBar 8
1 6’ AquaBus cable
1 Owner’s Manual

Apex System Contents $499.95

1 Apex Base Unit
1 Temperature Probe
1 Apex Display Module w/ 10’ AquaBus cable
1 EnergyBar 8
1 6’ AquaBus cable
1 Standard Grade pH probe (may be upgraded to lab probe)
1 Owner’s Manual

APEX all the way :) I love mine, and there isn't anything that I've wanted to do that it can't handle. I even use the Apex Lite app on my DroidX to control it from anywhere. I've actually turned my lights to Manual On while drive home from the airport with new fish, that way it wasn't a dark tank when I got home :)

gqjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Semi baller status but I will let it pass lol.... It will do what u want.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking that my Apex Lite came with a pH probe, maybe it was a special they were running since I bought mine when it first came out.

One thing to note is that on the EB8, only ports 4 & 8 are relay ports, so they will need to be used for equipment that draws little power, like dosing pumps, smaller LED strips, etc. I couldn't run my two LED modules(12 LEDs each) from a regular port, but I could from 4 & 8. My dosing pump was more important, so I switched it back. If you need more relay ports, the older style DC8, which does work with the Apex, are all relay ports.

Also, from what I've read, the Apex can control pumps like the adjustable Tunze and such, and the Lite cannot. Might be a way to add onto the Lite though, not 100% sure.

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking that my Apex Lite came with a pH probe, maybe it was a special they were running since I bought mine when it first came out.

One thing to note is that on the EB8, only ports 4 & 8 are relay ports, so they will need to be used for equipment that draws little power, like dosing pumps, smaller LED strips, etc. I couldn't run my two LED modules(12 LEDs each) from a regular port, but I could from 4 & 8. My dosing pump was more important, so I switched it back. If you need more relay ports, the older style DC8, which does work with the Apex, are all relay ports.

Also, from what I've read, the Apex can control pumps like the adjustable Tunze and such, and the Lite cannot. Might be a way to add onto the Lite though, not 100% sure.

ok thanks i'll look more into that. since i'm in a humid climate i run a 1/3 chiller and my giesemann neptune pro 2x 250w is also a energy guzzler.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you could easier run those on regular ports. There is actually a heater AND chiller feature built in, so you just plug in the temp numbers and it'll turn it on and off for you.

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so could i put my tunze's, chiller, lights on a EB8? or would that obviously be too much for it?>

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you could run it all through the EB8, should be fine. Which Tunze do you have?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back