Formalin Dip for all new fish

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

Hi Jay, can you please help me learn about the best way go about dipping all newly acquired fish in a Formalin dip. I tried the search but didn't find anything that explains this in detail. I ordered formalin off of Amazon after reading that it is very effective against a wide array of diseases. If you have written on this subject before please provide me the links to the threads. Thanks Jay!

1) I heard long term use requires 1ml/10 gallons and as a dip it is 1ml/gallon?

2) I need to heavily aerate the water while the fish is in there

3) How long, 1 hour good?

4) If I ever need to use formalin in my main fish only display for velvet/ick, I read several studies that say that a dose of 1ml/10 gallons does not affect nitrifying bacteria is that true?

5) Do most fish do well with formalin? Any fish that should not be exposed to it?

Any other advice?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago, I developed this triage idea where I hit all incoming fish with a formalin dip. It was a debacle! The mortality rate was just too high. The stress from shipping/transport plus the formalin caused heavy mortality. I now wait 72 hours after arrival to let the fish settle in before treating with anything.
The standard high dose formalin dip is 150 ppm with good aeration for 45 minutes. For a 24 hour bath, the typical dose is 25 ppm. The formula is gallons times ppm divided by 266 to get milliliters of formalin to use.
Jay

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago, I developed this triage idea where I hit all incoming fish with a formalin dip. It was a debacle! The mortality rate was just too high. The stress from shipping/transport plus the formalin caused heavy mortality. I now wait 72 hours after arrival to let the fish settle in before treating with anything.
The standard high dose formalin dip is 150 ppm with good aeration for 45 minutes. For a 24 hour bath, the typical dose is 25 ppm. The formula is gallons times ppm divided by 266 to get milliliters of formalin to use.
Jay

Jay, do you like the idea of prophylactically treating all fish with a formalin dip, just waiting until they’ve had a chance to recover from shipping stress for 72 hours first? Or do you only formalin dip certain species or if certain signs/symptoms are observed?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the contrary, this type of message is perfect to post publicly. This is how the whole community learns.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear - I just meant if you only want one answer - a PM is maybe better. You addressed it to one person - I wasn't meaning to appear critical

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I wasn't clear - I just meant if you only want one answer - a PM is maybe better. You addressed it to one person - I wasn't meaning to appear critical

I wasn't the OP, but I'm glad they posted it publicly. I was just thinking about picking up a bottle of formalin and incorporating it in my QT process.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, do you like the idea of prophylactically treating all fish with a formalin dip, just waiting until they’ve had a chance to recover from shipping stress for 72 hours first? Or do you only formalin dip certain species or if certain signs/symptoms are observed?
No - I used to use formalin on every fish, but in the past decade, I've started using it only as a diagnostic tool to check for flukes or to buy some time while I work out a better treatment. Dips are not 100% effective, so whatever disease you are using them on will tend to come back. The huge exception to this is Brooklynella - formalin is the best med for that.

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back