Formula for Correcting Alk drop

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There must be a mathematical way to calculate how many ml to add to doser to correct for (X) dkh of Alk drop.

Ex. I dose 1ml @ 18 times per day to keep my Alk at 8.4. A week later my Alk is at 6.7 after increasing pH and lowering nutrients substantially.

How much do i add to the doser to gradually get me back up to 8? I upped dosing to 1x23 daily to start but there must be some Math.

Anybody?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use a formula as I do not math well lol, but there are a ton of calculators out there to help figure this out. Basically you put in your total water volume, current alk, desired alk and what product you are using. It will tell you how much you need to add. From there, just divide that by the amount of times you dose. Here is the link to the one I use. Be sure when adjusting alk, it is done over time. If you are low wand want to bring it up a bit, play with the desired alk some and use some figures in between to step up your dosing.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use a formula as I do not math well lol, but there are a ton of calculators out there to help figure this out. Basically you put in your total water volume, current alk, desired alk and what product you are using. It will tell you how much you need to add. From there, just divide that by the amount of times you dose. Here is the link to the one I use. Be sure when adjusting alk, it is done over time. If you are low wand want to bring it up a bit, play with the desired alk some and use some figures in between to step up your dosing.

I use that clacukator to tell me how much to go up as a bolus dose but im more interested in knowing how to calculate a doser adjustment to end up at the desired Alkalinity in say, a week.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use that clacukator to tell me how much to go up as a bolus dose but im more interested in knowing how to calculate a doser adjustment to end up at the desired Alkalinity in say, a week.
You can use the calculator that way. If you look at your total alk drop for the week, use the calculator to determine what the bulk dose would need to be to correct that. Then, divide the volume of the bulk dose by the total number of doses during the week. That will get you the number you need to adjust each dose by.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the calculator that way. If you look at your total alk drop for the week, use the calculator to determine what the bulk dose would need to be to correct that. Then, divide the volume of the bulk dose by the total number of doses during the week. That will get you the number you need to adjust each dose by.
what this guy said. @Brew12 thanks for explaining it that way. You know me. Just a jarhead who can’t get his thought out correctly lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back