Found a Nudi eating my Porities and need advice

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so last night I did my nightly scan of the tank before going to bed and found my worst nightmare. It is 100% sps eating nudibranchs. I had noticed a little bleached edge around the bottom of the rock after getting back from Thanksgiving but figured maybe parameters weren’t spot on and I wasn’t too worried as that rock is super healthy otherwise. I’m at a total loss now… Normally I’d dip them and be done worrying but the issue is they’re eating porities that my Christmas tree worms are in so as far as I understand, I can’t dip it without killing the worms. I’m at a loss as to what to do because what I don’t want is to have to choose the worms over the coral.
IMG_2797.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal of both the slugs and any eggs would be my suggestion - these nudibranchs typically integrate chemicals from their prey to use as their own chemical defenses (these chemicals may be either toxic, foul-tasting, or both to predators), so I don't know for sure of anything that would eat them. Wrasses or other invert eaters (reef-safe-with-caution or not reef-safe fish) might eat them, but they definitely wouldn't be a surefire solution.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There very well may be. My worry is they’ll eat the Christmas tree worms too. Any recommendations on best species to get?

I've personally never had christmas tree worms, but i imagine something like a pinkstreak or a six line wouldnt harm them!

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The """standard""" pest control wrasses like a melanarus/Coris might also be a good choice, but unsure if they'd pick on the worms :(

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some related research when I found monti eating nudibranch in my tank. From what I found there's not a good way to deal with them.
I dipped with revive and bayer (not sure of spelling) and that might have stunned/killed the adults, but not the eggs.
In the end I just physically removed them (removed the coral and blasted it with water) and scraped off the eggs I could find with a razor blade. I found this technique from a couple of reefbuilders videos.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've personally never had christmas tree worms, but i imagine something like a pinkstreak or a six line wouldnt harm them!
I have both and have had them for a year. My sixline doesn't even look twice at the Christmas tree worm rock.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spray the rocks with KCl and avoid the worms, swish the rock if clean saltwater and look and crush any eggs.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure these are nudibranchs and that they are eating your Porites? I didn’t know there was a species of nudibranch that fed on Porites.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and have had them for a year. My sixline doesn't even look twice at the Christmas tree worm rock.
I have had six lines that eat every duster/worm in the tank. The present sixline is a dud, or a blessing in disguises. It does not touch tube worms.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have had six lines that eat every duster/worm in the tank. The present sixline is a dud, or a blessing in disguises. It does not touch tube worms.
Interesting. Wondering if it has anything to do with availability of other food sources. My tank is overflowing with pods.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Wondering if it has anything to do with availability of other food sources. My tank is overflowing with pods.
Yea, i don’t know, I killed the pods off with interceptor, removed and replaced all the rock so not much in there for food. Colonial Feather dusters are still on sand bed and thriving.
I once bought a colony of feather dusters from the LFS. Put them in the tank and a sixline picked the colony apart and ate all of them.
I guess it’s like some angels that are model citizens or a fox face that won’t eat bubble algae

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back