Found Aptasia problem!!

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found some Aptasia, 9 months into the hobby and this is the first lol (can’t belive I even made it this long). I purchased this coral from my lfs 2 weeks ago and just notice these today. It looks like they have spread throughout the base of the hammer coral because there is like a brown string network connecting to each of the open heads of the Aptasia, but there are more brown string networks around the entire coral which is what I am assuming is new Aptasia they didn’t open yet. I tried super glue but that was no use applying underwater and I want to get rid of these ASAP. Can anyone help?

77D1D9A2-AEC3-4958-9C9F-9751CF874F2B.jpeg D8C89463-883C-43D8-AE6F-BE5211589791.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
are u 100% apstsia looks like glove /clove ,to me,break off plug,dig off hammer,:)

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who deems what is and what is not an emergency and at what hobbyist level? Anything can be an emergency to new reefer.

Aiptasia are not hard to deal with.
What size tank?
There are several ways to deal with them.
Super glue. Lime juice, kalk or boiling water injected in mouth.
Bergia Nudibranch.

I personally found my best success with a copperband butterfly fish. After only a cpl days all aiptasia and majano where gone in my sump.

Peace all

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who deems what is and what is not an emergency and at what hobbyist level? Anything can be an emergency to new reefer.

Aiptasia are not hard to deal with.
What size tank?
There are several ways to deal with them.
Super glue. Lime juice, kale or boiling water injected in mouth.
Bergia Nudibranch.

I personally found my best success with a copperband butterfly fish. After only a cpl days all aiptasia and majano where gone in my sump.

Peace all
This is my nano reef (fluval 13.5). Unfortunately my tank isn’t nearly big enough for a copper band lol. Could I just get the lime juice from the store?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my nano reef (fluval 13.5). Unfortunately my tank isn’t nearly big enough for a copper band lol. Could I just get the lime juice from the store?
Ok
If possible I'd pull out of tank very carefully. The more you handle and mess with them the more they spawn only takes a little.
Physically remove aiptasia from rock or frag or whatever. Dip and rinse. Superglue area and watch and repeat.
Chances are if your seeing some you will have many if your not diligent.
Bergia Nudibranch may be your best bet if it becomes a serious problem.

Peace all

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok
If possible I'd pull out of tank very carefully. The more you handle and mess with them the more they spawn only takes a little.
Physically remove aiptasia from rock or frag or whatever. Dip and rinse. Superglue area and watch and repeat.
Chances are if your seeing some you will have many if your not diligent.
Bergia Nudibranch may be your best bet if it becomes a serious problem.

Peace all
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo I wish I would have known that before, I tried to use tweezers to manually remove them from the coral. It didn’t work but I definitely touched them.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo I wish I would have known that before, I tried to use tweezers to manually remove them from the coral. It didn’t work but I definitely touched them.
Dont try to remove them in your tank. They easily detach footing as well as only takes a little piece to take hold on a new spot to make a new pest.
Take the rock or frag out. Physically remove. I found it easiest with hot water. They fall right off. Super glue the spot generously.

Look into bergia nudibrach for future preventative maintenance. Just a few in your nano will do the trick.

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont try to remove them in your tank. They easily detach footing as well as only takes a little piece to take hold on a new spot to make a new pest.
Take the rock or frag out. Physically remove. I found it easiest with hot water. They fall right off. Super glue the spot generously.

Look into bergia nudibrach for future preventative maintenance. Just a few in your nano will do the trick.
Great, I will look into it, thanks for all of your help!

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bergia nudibrach do not survive long if there isn't a good supply of Aiptasia is my understanding - they also don't live long if there is. Some shrimp also eat Bergia's.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Larry101 I don’t think aiptasia are connected by any type of base flesh...they are just single polyps. You might have clove polyps or similar growing on the hammer. While that is not as scary as aiptasia, they can become invasive so superglue or scraping them off the hammer will take care of them.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found some Aptasia, 9 months into the hobby and this is the first lol (can’t belive I even made it this long). I purchased this coral from my lfs 2 weeks ago and just notice these today. It looks like they have spread throughout the base of the hammer coral because there is like a brown string network connecting to each of the open heads of the Aptasia, but there are more brown string networks around the entire coral which is what I am assuming is new Aptasia they didn’t open yet. I tried super glue but that was no use applying underwater and I want to get rid of these ASAP. Can anyone help?

77D1D9A2-AEC3-4958-9C9F-9751CF874F2B.jpeg D8C89463-883C-43D8-AE6F-BE5211589791.jpeg

I used Red Sea Aptasia. Watch a few videos of it being done. I haven't seen one since (fingers crossed)

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used aptasia-x and it just made the spread.

I used F-aiptasia from Frank’s and it worked. If you get a big enough glob on, it smothers the aiptaisia and has no chance of spreading. But you need to be careful because it will burn your coral if it gets on them.

Those ones on the base, I would take the frag out of the water and superglue or scrape and use Kalk paste.

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Larry101 I don’t think aiptasia are connected by any type of base flesh...they are just single polyps. You might have clove polyps or similar growing on the hammer. While that is not as scary as aiptasia, they can become invasive so superglue or scraping them off the hammer will take care of them.
That makes me feel a lot better! I am going to take the drag out right now, scrape, and then super glue just to be safe.

Back