FOWLR plan and request for insights

Try'nNotToKillStuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 50th birthday is approaching and the wife has given the go-ahead to build the FOWLR tank I've wanted for a long time. I currently have a 120g reef, but I've always been disappointed by the fish I cannot keep either because of size of the tank or the fish having a tendency to eat my precious corals. So, I am planning a 300 gallon FOWLR. The dimensions would be 8 feet long by 24 inches wide, by 30 inches tall. I'd love to go wider, by my space will not allow it. What I know so far is that biological filtration is key. Lighting, ALK, CA, Mag, and trace elements, and specific gravity are of lesser importance. Flow is only important to remove detritus and power the filters. Here is the plan so far and the questions I have:

1. I am planning on running a roller-mat filter. I've never owned one, but the idea of never having to wash another filter sock is attractive. I recognize there is an associated cost with the convenience, but the time saved is worth it to me. Any thoughts on that?
2. I have a bunch of live rock in a Brute garbage can that my 120g reef is currently running through. It is probably overkill for the reef and I was thinking of re-using it for the FOWLR. I've had a couple of ich outbreaks, so I assume that there is probably some ich hanging out in the rock. My plan is to take it out of the from the reef system, let it sit idle in a bucket with a heater and an air stone for a month or so before dumping it into the FOWLR to seed the cycle. Any issues with that?
3. For filtration on the FOWLR, I am planning an algae scrubber and two UV filters, one on a return pump set at high-flow and one one a return pump set at low flow. Two return pumps because redundancy is always a good idea. I have never owner either an algae scrubber or UV filter, but from what I've read, this would work well. Any thoughts?
4. For biological filtration, I will have live sand and live rock, but what about putting a Brightwell Aquatics brick (perhaps more than one) into the DT? My thought is that I would half-way bury it in the sand and then hide it under live rock. Where does this idea fall on a scale of "stupid to genius"?

Thank you in advance for you input.

Scott

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds nice!.

1. I try to keep it simple. The roller mat and algae scrubber are great - when they fail, they need to be replaced, algae dies off, etc. I would use or a sponge.
2. Same with UV - the bulbs are a hassle, they don't really 'filter' - just kill bacteria/parasites (if strong enough), and use a lot of energy.
3. It seems like the live rock you're using will be enough (without the brick) - if you use the brick they recommend no more than 1 per 100 gallons
4. I might set up the new tank - than move the old live rock into that tank - and let it sit fallow there. probably not a lot of reason to leave it in the garage.

Make sure to post a build thread. !! Good luck

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I have never used socks, but some people do, and like them. The roller matt does seem better than socks to me.
2. As long as the rock has been 'fishless' for 45 days or so, that should be fine. Using old cycled rock is excellent.
3. Algae scrubbers are great. Some people run UV for various reasons. Will you run a skimmer?
4. I don't see the need for a brick if you are using live rock and sand.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! I really want to set up the same 300 FOWLR. are you getting it from @joe@glasscages?

here is what I would do:

~largest sump as possible. your gonna what all those fish you could never keep and there gonna be messy eaters. I would love to use a 150+ gal remote sump if one could

~large lifereef skimmer
~large ATS
~ BRS mini reactor for GFO/carbon
~ personally I would not use the roller matt I think you will do through the rolls quite fast I would use use filter floss and replay every 3 days =cheap and easy.
~ if you have the funds UV

what fish do you plan on keeping?
start a build thread so we can drool. IMHO I think FOWLR are underrated in reefing.

OP
OP
Try'nNotToKillStuff

Try'nNotToKillStuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your insights. I've decided not to go with the algae scrubber. It is a cool technology, but I won't have space concerns, so will probably have a more traditional refugium with chaeto. As to the rollermat, I understand the cost issue and the fact that it is one more mechanical item that may break, but the allure of never washing socks or cleaning a filter pad is too tempting. And, I need to be honest with myself, I don't clean socks every three days. More like once a week. Also, I like the idea of not needing to ask a buddy to change the socks if I am away from the house for several weeks. As to fish, I'd like to get big angels (Queen, blue face, emperor, and regal) and large tangs (powder blue, achilles, desjardini sailfin) and and probably a few large wrasses (not sure which species). But, alas, this project has been put on a temporary hold while I work on re-doing my 120g reef and get some other home projects done. But, I am hoping I can return to it in the fall. I think I'll do a build thread on re-doing my 120g mixed reef.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
86441FCA-AE61-4BFA-A574-C3A545DFA4BB.jpeg

Lol! We meet again... I just answered your UV thread question.

So have you given any thought to minimal rock “in” the tank— throw the rest in the sump? I think it’s a cool look.

(PS: Joe at Glass Cages made my two 150s and stands; great job.)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your insights. I've decided not to go with the algae scrubber. It is a cool technology, but I won't have space concerns, so will probably have a more traditional refugium with chaeto. As to the rollermat, I understand the cost issue and the fact that it is one more mechanical item that may break, but the allure of never washing socks or cleaning a filter pad is too tempting. And, I need to be honest with myself, I don't clean socks every three days. More like once a week. Also, I like the idea of not needing to ask a buddy to change the socks if I am away from the house for several weeks. As to fish, I'd like to get big angels (Queen, blue face, emperor, and regal) and large tangs (powder blue, achilles, desjardini sailfin) and and probably a few large wrasses (not sure which species). But, alas, this project has been put on a temporary hold while I work on re-doing my 120g reef and get some other home projects done. But, I am hoping I can return to it in the fall. I think I'll do a build thread on re-doing my 120g mixed reef.

totally understand about the roller mat.
I hope you get to come back in the fall for this build if you do let us all know. :)
good luck on the 120 rebuild

OP
OP
Try'nNotToKillStuff

Try'nNotToKillStuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
86441FCA-AE61-4BFA-A574-C3A545DFA4BB.jpeg

Lol! We meet again... I just answered your UV thread question.

So have you given any thought to minimal rock “in” the tank— throw the rest in the sump? I think it’s a cool look.

(PS: Joe at Glass Cages made my two 150s and stands; great job.)
Yes! I think a minimal rock will be a nice contrast to my 120g. See pic
WIN_20210402_16_21_23_Pro.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back