FOWLR tanks?

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heya folks was thinking of starting up a FOWLR tank just wondering what are the basics that I would need to add to the system? My other tanks are all reef tanks but I was thinking of turning the observation tank I have been working on into a FOWLR. also do you is a bare bottom good for these just curious as I have never set one up.

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a FOWLR. Two actually. Started with a 10 gallon that got me into saltwater and then eventually got my display tank that I’m just now starting to fill with corals. Added a 20 long in between. Your fish will be limited by tank size, no different than they would with a reef tank. And look for a cover if you have jumpers. I’ve always had sand in mine. Lights can be cheaper and less sophisticated, fewer parameters to worry about. Just keep up with water changes, keep an eye on nitrates and ammonia and you’re good!

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh- for recommendations on tank additions- you’re okay with a pair of clowns, Royal gramma, blenny, neon goby, Cardinals, watchman goby with shrimp... these are a few of the things I’ve stocked and enjoyed. If it’s a new tank make sure you don’t put anything in that needs something more established.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3759B5FC-7494-4395-983C-7BE776281AA9.jpeg

This was a 6’ long shallow FOWLR I had once. I liked the sand for that true ‘ocean’ feel. I also ran it for a time with the sand removed, but added it back. My current 150-gallon FOWLR also has sand. (See Build Thread.) I’d say whatever you can do to get a lot of water turnover to keep it as clear as possible will add to your enjoyment. You can go real cheap on the lighting. On White. On Blue. Off. Best wishes!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back