Foxface and recommendations

Prozium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I Bought a Foxface rabbitfish on fiday (was too good of a deal to pass up + he looks really good:bigsmile:) he seems to be doing both good and bad. He's in a 40g with my lion fish (about 4.5") the lionfish seems to be leaving the Foxface alone, but the Foxface goes all bruised banana mode (stressed:sad:) a lot, but then some times hes fine......what gives???:squigglemouth:

water condisions are not changing, he's eating flake food and there some algae in there for him to eat.(which he is also eating)

I know it's not a big enough tank but it's is only a temp thing until I buy a 100g+ in the next few weeks here.

well with all that being said...

after I get the 100g+ tank I want to make it a mixed tank with a few corals and add a few more fish.

will these fish work well with each other, what other fish would be a good fit?

-1 more volitan lionfish
-blue tang (actuly bought one but the lionfish was trying to nip at him through the bag during acclimation so I put him in my 55g reef for now, tang is about 2.75-3")
-1 or 2 Huma Huma Trigger's (or some other kind of trigger...maybe a couple of blue throught's?)
-Foxface Rabbit Fish (got him already)

+ 1 or 2 more.....maybe another tang?

thanks for any help you can give me.

Last edited:

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the foxface? They are very skittish to begin with and take some time to settle in. They will continue to get that "bruised banana" look, it doesn't mean that it is stressed. It should happen less often though. Initially mine would get it every time I walked by the tank.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give it time. rabbitfish are extremely freakish fish. should settle in within a week or two.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely get that bigger tank ASAP. I have mine in a 75 gallon and he out grew it quickly. They love to swim in the open. I feel bad now when I watch it in my 75 cause he just goes back and forth when he is not picking at algae on the rocks and power heads. It takes him like 2 secs to get from one side to the other. One of the reasons I am upgrading. What are the dimensions of the new tank? The foxface will get use to you also. Mine eats out of my hand now.

OP
OP
Prozium

Prozium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK the size yet, my uncle is getting a tank from a friend to sale for him. I haven't seen it but my dad saw a picture of it and the stand has 3 doors and looks similar to my 55g's stand so I'm guessing its going to be in the 8'-9' range. as long as it's a good deal and doesn't look too beat up, I'll buy it.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely get that bigger tank ASAP. I have mine in a 75 gallon and he out grew it quickly. They love to swim in the open. I feel bad now when I watch it in my 75 cause he just goes back and forth when he is not picking at algae on the rocks and power heads. It takes him like 2 secs to get from one side to the other. One of the reasons I am upgrading. What are the dimensions of the new tank? The foxface will get use to you also. Mine eats out of my hand now.

I have to agree, I have one in my 180, they really do need room to swim.

They are fairly skiddish, so itis nice if the tank is not in a high traffic path.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, have you noticed any issues with him picking at corals?

Never. I have even seen it take food out of the polyps of my frogspawn and hammer but never go near them when I am not feeding. I feed pretty heavy (fish 3X per day) and also have nori in the tank. I have been watching him closely because I keep reading threads where people had to remove them for picking at coral. He has been in my tank around a year and a half maybe longer.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back