FoxFace bloated! Help!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epsom salts are the only reef-safe anti-inflammatory that I know of.

Unfortunately if it’s not eating, there’s not much else you can do short of moving to a QT and trying a course of antibiotics...

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boiling pees won’t work as the fish won’t eat.

Not sure on the eggs, there’s not another foxface in the tank, do they just produce eggs regardless?

Not sure on anti inflammatory, seems like that would just help the symptom and not the cause.

No necessarily, if the lack of appetite is caused by GI inflammation than reducing inflammation will help getting the fish to eat. A fish that doesn't eat deteriorates very quickly.

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The foxface seems a little less bloated today. I ran another dose of Epsom salts yesterday.

That is the 4th dose. The first 2 doses were 1/2 the recommended dosage (1tbsp/5gallons)

My Mg is now 1732 so I can’t really dose more Epsom salts.

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good news. The foxface started to go back down in size, and by Wednesday it was fully back to normal. It didn’t eat again until last night though and appears to have fully recovered.

I do think she was constipated again, Tuesday she was pooping a lot, and the poop looked very... undigested, so not totally sure what caused it but glad she’s back to normal now.

Thanks for the support everyone

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news. The foxface started to go back down in size, and by Wednesday it was fully back to normal. It didn’t eat again until last night though and appears to have fully recovered.

I do think she was constipated again, Tuesday she was pooping a lot, and the poop looked very... undigested, so not totally sure what caused it but glad she’s back to normal now.

Thanks for the support everyone

Good job!

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well the saga continues, but probably ends tonight.

For a 3rd time the bloated-ness came back to this fish. She stopped eating again, and it’s very clearly something wrong with her swim bladder.

Hence, she was easy to catch, so I have removed her and placed her in a hospital tank. I have dosed the tank with Kana-pro (Kanamycin Sulfate Powder) I dosed at about 1.5X the recommended dose. The foxface does not look like she will make it through the night.

If it’s swim bladder, it’s terminal correct?

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I REALLY NEED SOME HELP! Please & Thank You!

The foxface is still fighting this morning, but odds still don’t look good.

This is why I hate QT’ing, I can not control ammonia at all. I set the hospital tank up with marine pur blocks that were in my sump for a year, and my ammonia is at 1 this morning. I’m so frustrated, the fish isn’t even pooping, how can ammonia be this high?

How am I supposed to keep meds in the water and also keep ammonia under control?

I did the 25% water change this morning like the instructions said and added the 2nd dose of Kana-Pro.

Clearly the Kanamycin is wiping out the biological filtration? Do I keep swapping out marinepur blocks? I have a few in my sump?

Do I use amguard to just artificially control ammonia?

Really need help.

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Added some filter floss type material to the HOB filter. Also added a whole bottle of Bio-Spira.

Ammonia down to .25, but think it’s all just too little too late

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you aren’t using copper, you can use Prime to help immediately bind up the ammonia. The bond is only temporary though, so you’ll need to do a significant water change 25-50% as soon as possible after dosing prime.

Also, get a few bottles of bio-spira, Dr. Tim’s, Microbacter, etc. All good bacteria supplements that will boost your bio-filter and help keep the ammonia under control.

You might need to do daily water changes for a few days, or until the antibiotics are finished. If the water change is necessary before the next “scheduled” water change for the antibiotics... just re-dose the clean water according to volume before adding it to the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back