Foxface compatibility?

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

To be brief, I have a 75 gallon tank stocked with the given inhabitants.
2 clowns
1 tomini Tang
1 baby mandarin (maybe an inch on a good day)
1 Lawnmower blenny
1 Springer damsel
1 royal Gramma
1 cleaner wrasse
1 cleaner goby
The only aggression is the tang usually when the lawnmower is also trying to eat Nori off the clip while he is doing so as well lol

Recently, I came across some info that a one spot foxface can be house in a 70 gallon where the other foxfaces need 125. I'm curious as to why that is? I thought they were all the same size? Furthermore, are they reefsafe? I'm also curious if you think my tank is too full to add any other stock? For the record if I did add a onespot foxface it'd be my last fish. I would have added one earlier but I never knew the one spots could go in a 70!

Thanks for any advice and stay healthy out there.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s always a risk/reward adding any fish. Fox faces are not aggressive and graze on algae all day. The trick would be to have enough also for your tang. If not they may fight a little. I notice this in my 210 when I don’t feed often enough.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s always a risk/reward adding any fish. Fox faces are not aggressive and graze on algae all day. The trick would be to have enough also for your tang. If not they may fight a little. I notice this in my 210 when I don’t feed often enough.

Yeah that is a possibility but I got TONS of Nori to feed so I'm not too worried. I got a couple clips I can put 2 different sheets on.

Aside from the feeding do you think a 75 is too small for the fox face? Do you think I have too many fish already?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That all depends on your system and it’s ability to handle nutrients. 75 gallon is borderline start with a small one 3 inches or so and I wouldn’t see a problem.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I came across some info that a one spot foxface can be house in a 70 gallon where the other foxfaces need 125. I'm curious as to why that is? I thought they were all the same size?

I don't know how that opinion got started. There are definitely size differences among rabbitfishes, bat all of the 'foxfaces' get about the same size. S. unimaculatus and S. vulpinus are basically regional variants, and some argue they should be considered the same species. One may arguably get an inch or so bigger. I have seen plenty of really big one spot foxfaces.

A standard 75/90 is borderline, imo. The foxfaces get bigger than some of the tangs that are recommended for smaller tanks, though they aren't quite as active or aggressive. Somewhere in the 4' 75 gallon to 6' 125 gallon is reasonable for a minimum for the foxfaces. Stay away from the other rabbits, unless you have a 180+.

Furthermore, are they reefsafe?

Pretty reef safe. Some go rogue. A little riskier than a tang. Maybe slightly less risky than a dwarf angel.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find that info? I upgraded to a 125 from a 75 to get a Foxface. My Lo was like having a football swimming around my reef. I got my One Spot two months ago when she was the size of my algae clip. She’s three times as big now.

lilkiwi930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a 32g tank. I have a foxface. When I got him he was just a tiny wittle one. So no biggy. But he did grow so I am upgrading my tank to a 75g tank. They are reef safe. He does not eat any of my corals. I had a bully problem before I got him with my Yellow Eye Kole Tang. But once I got my foxface he kind of put the tang in his place and has been good. They are actually buds which I heard they normally fight. So its different for everyone.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That all depends on your system and it’s ability to handle nutrients. 75 gallon is borderline start with a small one 3 inches or so and I wouldn’t see a problem.

Well water volume wise I got 85 due to my 20 gallon sumo being half full if that helps

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how that opinion got started. There are definitely size differences among rabbitfishes, bat all of the 'foxfaces' get about the same size. S. unimaculatus and S. vulpinus are basically regional variants, and some argue they should be considered the same species. One may arguably get an inch or so bigger. I have seen plenty of really big one spot foxfaces.

A standard 75/90 is borderline, imo. The foxfaces get bigger than some of the tangs that are recommended for smaller tanks, though they aren't quite as active or aggressive. Somewhere in the 4' 75 gallon to 6' 125 gallon is reasonable for a minimum for the foxfaces. Stay away from the other rabbits, unless you have a 180+.

Pretty reef safe. Some go rogue. A little riskier than a tang. Maybe slightly less risky than a dwarf angel.
yeahh personally I'd like a smaller/younger foxface. I wouldn't want a big guy since all my fish are youngins.

Yeah and that's why I've always thought you needed a massive tank lol. No worries I wouldn't get a rabbit was specifically interested in the one spot fox

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a one spot in my 5 foot long tank. He grew fairly quickly. He's the most active swimmer and definitely needs the room to move.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find that info? I upgraded to a 125 from a 75 to get a Foxface. My Lo was like having a football swimming around my reef. I got my One Spot two months ago when she was the size of my algae clip. She’s three times as big now.

all over the internet from what I was reading everyone says specifically the one spots is minimum 70. But like you I think that's strange because I've seen big one spots but everyone says 70s are minimum because they don't swim much.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just straight fish compatibility wise, you should be fine. I have heard of a few going nuts and eating corals, but very few. Size wise he is eventually going to outgrow the tank. They get pretty big. A lot bigger than most people think. But if you can deal with that issue, should be fine.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just debating this on my 75 gallon, i have a kole tang and wanted to add a foxface, my tang is in QT now so i plan to add them at the same time since i heard thats best to combat aggresion, and feeding more.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a 32g tank. I have a foxface. When I got him he was just a tiny wittle one. So no biggy. But he did grow so I am upgrading my tank to a 75g tank. They are reef safe. He does not eat any of my corals. I had a bully problem before I got him with my Yellow Eye Kole Tang. But once I got my foxface he kind of put the tang in his place and has been good. They are actually buds which I heard they normally fight. So its different for everyone.

Interesting yeah my guess it's a personality thing. I imagine the aggression will go down with the upgraded tank for you. Are the foxes quite hardy?

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a one spot in my 5 foot long tank. He grew fairly quickly. He's the most active swimmer and definitely needs the room to move.
Very interesting. Do they swim high up in the water column or low?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

To be brief, I have a 75 gallon tank stocked with the given inhabitants.
2 clowns
1 tomini Tang
1 baby mandarin (maybe an inch on a good day)
1 Lawnmower blenny
1 Springer damsel
1 royal Gramma
1 cleaner wrasse
1 cleaner goby
The only aggression is the tang usually when the lawnmower is also trying to eat Nori off the clip while he is doing so as well lol

Recently, I came across some info that a one spot foxface can be house in a 70 gallon where the other foxfaces need 125. I'm curious as to why that is? I thought they were all the same size? Furthermore, are they reefsafe? I'm also curious if you think my tank is too full to add any other stock? For the record if I did add a onespot foxface it'd be my last fish. I would have added one earlier but I never knew the one spots could go in a 70!

Thanks for any advice and stay healthy out there.
I have a fully grown one spot in a 130 with 2 tangs. Tangs mostly leave him alone. Tangs tend to be more aggressive to their own kind and blennys as well. But to be honest, I wouldn’t keep a one spot in a tank less than 100g or so. They get big and to be honest I feel my tank is too small for mine.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just straight fish compatibility wise, you should be fine. I have heard of a few going nuts and eating corals, but very few. Size wise he is eventually going to outgrow the tank. They get pretty big. A lot bigger than most people think. But if you can deal with that issue, should be fine.

Well at least he is compatible but I actually quite a bit of room for him to swim but idk why everyone says 70 if you'd have to upgrade.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just debating this on my 75 gallon, i have a kole tang and wanted to add a foxface, my tang is in QT now so i plan to add them at the same time since i heard thats best to combat aggresion, and feeding more.
Yeah unfortunately my tang is already in the DT lol. But ill monitor it. The tang is actually quite good with everyone but the lawnmower blenny but I think that's because the tang stole his cave lol and they have been trying steal it from eachother ever since lol

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. It's your tank, so don't take the opinions unless you want them. Just facts.

2. They can live in 70's based on reef keeping history/testing.

3. Just think though that's the MINIMUM tank size. the minimum for clowns is a 20G I think, idk if you've ever seen a FULLY grown clown but they're pretty big 4 inches about. I've seen some 4 1/2, so would a pair of 4 1/2 inch clowns be completely satisfied in a 20G? Who knows, we can't read fish minds, do they seem to be okay and not too aggressive. yeah.

Same with One Spots, at 70G They seems to not get aggressive.

When a fish has definitely not enough space they start attacking other tank mates.

So just realize by keeping them in the minimum size tank, you eventually could possibly have a problem on your hands.

Will you? We don't know.

chances? probably 20%?

Less with a bigger tank, of course. more with a smaller yes :). Some people seem to think smaller tanks will stunt growth to keep them "adjusted to your tank size longer". Idk if there's science behind that, but I've seen fish out grow tanks all the time so IDK how that works.

If you like it, and you have a 70G I'd say do it. But be ready to care for your fish all the way through. I and many others have kept juvi fish as well in smaller tanks until they grow.

You can always put a fish trap in, capture him, and bring him to your LFS as a donation, in order to save lives, and make happy fish.

If you enjoy him for 6 months to 2 years in the meantime, worth $80 to me. But then again, you have to give up your pet, or then upgrade. so not necessarily just about the money. Also about the heart.

It's just a big risk man. So up to you.

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.2%
Back