OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fully grown one spot in a 130 with 2 tangs. Tangs mostly leave him alone. Tangs tend to be more aggressive to their own kind and blennys as well. But to be honest, I wouldn’t keep a one spot in a tank less than 100g or so. They get big and to be honest I feel my tank is too small for mine.
Wow really? I'm really confused why it says 70 everywhere. Because every one spot fox face I've seen is the same size as the other

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface is skittsh but strong will. Not sure by what you mean by hardy?
HArdy as in not easy to die from stress and unstable water params

Butterfly fish for example are some of the least hardy fish in the hobby. Angels and Dwarfs used to have a similar rep, but I'd say they're "moderate" now.

Clown fish are regarded as the most or in the top 5 most hardy saltwater fish in the hobby, meaning they can survive all kinds of living conditions :). (Not that you should put them through them, but we all know that when you first start out, you inevitably do)

Rabbit fish are about as hardy as tangs. They are temperamental, meaning I don't think they necessarily will drop like flies with slightly less than ideal water fluctuation, but they'll get stressed and stop eating, and then die from not eating.

As long as they aren't being bullied in the tank, and you acclimate them properly I'm sure you'll do just fine.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow really? I'm really confused why it says 70 everywhere. Because every one spot fox face I've seen is the same size as the other
I’m only going off my experience keeping them. My tank is 4 foot wide and he’s a big guy. Sometimes he takes off and has to come to a fast halt at the glass. I’m sure vendors give you the minimum size to keep them alive. A small fish can live for some time in a certain size only to outgrow it later.

lilkiwi930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Butterfly fish for example are some of the least hardy fish in the hobby. Angels and Dwarfs used to have a similar rep, but I'd say they're "moderate" now.

Clown fish are regarded as the most or in the top 5 most hardy saltwater fish in the hobby, meaning they can survive all kinds of living conditions :). (Not that you should put them through them, but we all know that when you first start out, you inevitably do)

Rabbit fish are about as hardy as tangs. They are temperamental, meaning I don't think they necessarily will drop like flies with slightly less than ideal water fluctuation, but they'll get stressed and stop eating, and then die from not eating.

As long as they aren't being bullied in the tank, and you acclimate them properly I'm sure you'll do just fine.
ahh okay, well I dont believe. But I have not pushed his limits with stress. My foxface ends up changing colors when he gets very stressed (Just like when he goes to sleep at night and changes his colors to blend with the rocks a little) But once I notice he changes colors while I am cleaning the tank or moving rocks or even putting in new corals, I take a brake to let him cool down. But I do not believe he is easy to die due to stress.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I wouldn't be too worried about that. I'm beside my tank ALL day so I watch it closely for bad behavior and deal with such accordingly

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only going off my experience keeping them. My tank is 4 foot wide and he’s a big guy. Sometimes he takes off and has to come to a fast halt at the glass. I’m sure vendors give you the minimum size to keep them alive. A small fish can live for some time in a certain size only to outgrow it later.
Yeah that is true. I wouldn't want to house him uncomfortably. What do you think? Should I err on the side of caution and not get one? Or get one and see how it does and if it's not going well rehome him? But I hate the idea of doing that. I'd rather upgrade but I don't think my girlfriend would let me

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria has always recommended 70 gallons for a 1 spot and 125 for Lo.

People on reef2reef and other boards commonly say, "get a 1 spot. They're the smallest foxface." N
I'm not sure where the original opinion came from.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is true. I wouldn't want to house him uncomfortably. What do you think? Should I err on the side of caution and not get one? Or get one and see how it does and if it's not going well rehome him? But I hate the idea of doing that. I'd rather upgrade but I don't think my girlfriend would let me
It’s your choice really. I’m not saying it won’t work out. Just letting you know the worst case scenario. These fish actually do get pretty big. Mine is really chill and doesn’t bother anyone and no one messes with him.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mist foxface can achieve 5” size and one spot a tad smaller. They are good algae eaters and IMO good citizens in the tank.
Orange spotted and scribbled are smaller but due annoy or eat coral

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

People on reef2reef and other boards commonly say, "get a 1 spot. They're the smallest foxface." N
I never understand where these numbers come from either. Everyone tends to run with what they read. I can only say 130g is pushing it. My one spot seems comfortable but I do still feel bad as it seems to want a bigger area to swim.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Don't tell me there is a fox face police in the making, I love my foxface and have a 75. :oops:

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. It's your tank, so don't take the opinions unless you want them. Just facts.

2. They can live in 70's based on reef keeping history/testing.

3. Just think though that's the MINIMUM tank size. the minimum for clowns is a 20G I think, idk if you've ever seen a FULLY grown clown but they're pretty big 4 inches about. I've seen some 4 1/2, so would a pair of 4 1/2 inch clowns be completely satisfied in a 20G? Who knows, we can't read fish minds, do they seem to be okay and not too aggressive. yeah.

Same with One Spots, at 70G They seems to not get aggressive.

When a fish has definitely not enough space they start attacking other tank mates.

So just realize by keeping them in the minimum size tank, you eventually could possibly have a problem on your hands.

Will you? We don't know.

chances? probably 20%?

Less with a bigger tank, of course. more with a smaller yes :). Some people seem to think smaller tanks will stunt growth to keep them "adjusted to your tank size longer". Idk if there's science behind that, but I've seen fish out grow tanks all the time so IDK how that works.

If you like it, and you have a 70G I'd say do it. But be ready to care for your fish all the way through. I and many others have kept juvi fish as well in smaller tanks until they grow.

You can always put a fish trap in, capture him, and bring him to your LFS as a donation, in order to save lives, and make happy fish.

If you enjoy him for 6 months to 2 years in the meantime, worth $80 to me. But then again, you have to give up your pet, or then upgrade. so not necessarily just about the money. Also about the heart.

It's just a big risk man. So up to you.
Totally agree my friend.

I thank you for your advice. Yeah I'm just trying to be a good fish keeper. It might not be the best move and hard to say.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Don't tell me there is a fox face police in the making, I love my foxface and have a 75. :oops:
LMAOOOOOO that made me laugh hahahha

I'm glad you're having success my friend. How big is he so far? Do you have a tang in the tank as well?

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No idea man. I'm searching for the same answer lol

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s your choice really. I’m not saying it won’t work out. Just letting you know the worst case scenario. These fish actually do get pretty big. Mine is really chill and doesn’t bother anyone and no one messes with him.
Hoping I get "ScottsR's foxface little brother" lol

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mist foxface can achieve 5” size and one spot a tad smaller. They are good algae eaters and IMO good citizens in the tank.
Orange spotted and scribbled are smaller but due annoy or eat coral
Yeah I was specifically looking at the onespot. Sounds like he is the most reef safe but even still should use caution

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understand where these numbers come from either. Everyone tends to run with what they read. I can only say 130g is pushing it. My one spot seems comfortable but I do still feel bad as it seems to want a bigger area to swim.

Yeah I'm not sure where the.numbers.come.from either but I've never kept one so that's why I'm trying.to find the popular opinion

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my guy. I’d guess he’s 4” or so.
67CF793E-31A0-49F9-9EDD-EB283E2952A4.jpeg

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LMAOOOOOO that made me laugh hahahha

I'm glad you're having success my friend. How big is he so far? Do you have a tang in the tank as well?
I do. The foxface is big. Biggest fish in the tank by far. But he displays no aggression whatsoever. I also had a yellow tang. Pretty small. They fought the first couple of days and then became best buds. Only idiots will try to bully a foxface once he shows his spines! Haha. His personality is amazing, love my foxface.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back