Foxface compatibility?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. The foxface is big. Biggest fish in the tank by far. But he displays no aggression whatsoever. I also had a yellow tang. Pretty small. They fought the first couple of days and then became best buds. Only idiots will try to bully a foxface once he shows his spines! Haha. His personality is amazing, love my foxface.
Tangs oddly do leave them alone. I guess they know better. My guy is camera shy. He bothers no one
99094154-F04C-4BFA-A3DB-E9DC524C2404.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an interesting foxface.

He's way wider like a tang maybe just the angle? lol.
Tangs come in many shapes and sizes so hard to compare. If I hold out my hand with fingers together, that’s the size he is. My hands are medium sized? ;Hilarious

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs come in many shapes and sizes so hard to compare. If I hold out my hand with fingers together, that’s the size he is. My hands are medium sized? ;Hilarious
yeah just the angle I guess. If he's like your hand then he'll be longer than wide.

He looked to me wider than long in that photo if that makes sense. I'm not explaining it very well. it's too early XD

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. The foxface is big. Biggest fish in the tank by far. But he displays no aggression whatsoever. I also had a yellow tang. Pretty small. They fought the first couple of days and then became best buds. Only idiots will try to bully a foxface once he shows his spines! Haha. His personality is amazing, love my foxface.

My guess is the similar coloration caused that. Well that's certainly reassuring to hear. How big is your tang?

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a frame of reference for an adult one-spot Foxface:
gbrCSj8.jpg

This is in a 300 gallon DD, so the face glass is about 72" X 27". He's a bit over 8" in length. This photo was taken when he was practicing being an "Archerfish"...which he does for amusement, I believe.
After six years he's starting to get a bit ornery/perhaps bored and has begun picking the T. squamosa I've got spread around in there, so he may need to be rehomed soon. If you plan on ever having clams, I'd recommend a pass.
A 120 might be a bit small for a fish that gets this size, especially with a complement of tankmates, rock, and whatnot.
Good on you for doing some research before the purchase - much easier than trying to catch later on.
Cheers,
Ray :cool:

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the similar coloration caused that. Well that's certainly reassuring to hear. How big is your tang?
Here is a pic of them together. You can gauge size vs the nori feeder. The tang passed of a bacterial infection recently. :(

MVIMG_20200308_211815.jpg

Last edited:

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of juveniles. They were maybe 1.5" and 2.0" when I got them. They already grew a lot during their 6 week quarantine in a 10 gallon tank but really started to grow fast after I added them to my 100 gallon tank.
They were all by themselves in quarantine and extremely shy there.
In the reef tank they are now fairly outgoing and unfortunately have learned that there are regular feeding... I hardly see them grazing at all :(
Their tank mates are:
  • a pair of Red Sea Anemonefish
  • a pair of Maldives Regal Angels
  • a pair of Marine Bettas
  • a pair of Mandarinfish
  • a pair of Royal Gramma
  • one lonely Orchid Dottyback
  • one lone Yellow Tang (by now removed because he was picking fights with everyone and didn't do his job - eating algae - good enough)
They get along well enough with most of the other fish and so far I have only observed some little conflicts with the Regal Angels when the Foxfaces venture into the main cave. The most conflicts are with the Anemonefish when the Foxfaces come too close to their Anemones and nest. But all that is mostly posturing and a little shoving, never anywhere close to fighting...

Here a video of them during feeding:

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said, mine was the size of a football. What are the dimensions of your 70 gallon tank? Spike needed 18 inches just to turn around. I rescued him from a 60 gallon (12 inches wide) where he actually had to use the glass on the side to swim up and flip himself around. He was very active in my tank but maybe it was because he was so happy to have room to turn around after being in the 60 for 12 years. My point being, just because they can survive in it, doesn’t mean it’s suitable.

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to pick up an old thread - just wondering how this worked out. I have a Foxface Lo in my 160. He was the third fish in my DT (after the predictable pair of clowns!). He spent a week hiding in the QT before coming out to eat, but in the DT he became super-confident and vibrant, and would even swim up to the glass when people were near. After 2 months I added a pair of small Swallowtail Angels that were aggressive but not harmful with each other, but didn't seem to bother the Foxface other than him stressing over their darting around. 2 months ago I added a pair of Wattanabe Angels, the male being about the size of the Foxface at 5". Once settled in the Wattanabe proved to be pretty aggressive in chasing the other angels (without any signs of actual damage) but seemed to leave the Foxface alone. Recently, however, the Foxface has been consistently dark in color, and under blue light appears to have small bruises which appear and disappear quickly. He also began eating algae like a maniac and has become pretty heavy. He's eating and will swim around but has gone back to being very jittery when approached. I'm thinking of removing the male Wattanabe and then perhaps even the other Angels to see if he responds. A friend suggested putting the Wattanabe in the QT for an extended period and then reintroducing him - has anyone had success with this? I could see that it would give the other Angels time to grow to nearer his size but not sure how it fixes the Foxface stress when they're back in the same tank.

footnote: I did also add a lot of rockwork recently and in the process of adding a ton more hiding spaces removed the cave the Foxface used to slkeep/hide in.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back