Foxface hiding in corner changing colors after adding to tank

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.. I just added a sailfin tang and a foxface to my new tank freshly cycled.. the tang is super happy and grazing already but the foxface is hiding in a corner turning dark colors and breathing fast.. I did a 20 min fast track acclimation because he looked so stressed ... I read no more than 30 mins with them due to extreme stress.. it’s only been 45 mins.. at what point should I worry ? A day or two? The tang is so chill I can’t believe it.. it’s acting like it’s been here for years.. crazy. Very opposite from foxy.. anyways I just want all my fish to be happy.. like everyone here I reckon lol. :)

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good to know.. thanks a lot. I’ll just give him/her time. How do you tell the sex on rabbit fish?

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a foxface and he still get nervous when I walk up to the tank and he's been in there about 4 months. Give him time he will get better.

thanks... I’ll just give him time. He was front an center at the store swimming with everyone...the tang is down with him now sort of trying pal up with him... hoping that will help. :)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good to know.. thanks a lot. I’ll just give him/her time. How do you tell the sex on rabbit fish?
Is this a joke?
Look under the powder puff tail?

My foxface changes color frequently.
Watch out for his dorsal spines they are poisonous, like a bad mosquito bite, not as bad as a bee sting.
Until he associates you with food, you are susceptible.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a joke?
Look under the powder puff tail?

My foxface changes color frequently.
Watch out for his dorsal spines they are poisonous, like a bad mosquito bite, not as bad as a bee sting.
Until he associates you with food, you are susceptible.

not a joke... I googled it since... and thanks on the spines!

Martin Turrubiates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.. I just added a sailfin tang and a foxface to my new tank freshly cycled.. the tang is super happy and grazing already but the foxface is hiding in a corner turning dark colors and breathing fast.. I did a 20 min fast track acclimation because he looked so stressed ... I read no more than 30 mins with them due to extreme stress.. it’s only been 45 mins.. at what point should I worry ? A day or two? The tang is so chill I can’t believe it.. it’s acting like it’s been here for years.. crazy. Very opposite from foxy.. anyways I just want all my fish to be happy.. like everyone here I reckon lol. :)

Definitely skittish my buddy has one it plays dead when he walks up to the tank he’s had it for about 2-3 years now it stung him once he said his hand went numb many tangs use there bone spike in the front of there tail as a means of defense my yellow tank and hippo tang act like they are going to fight by backing up into each other then swim away so far they haven’t fought the hippo is a male but not sure if the yellow tang is a male

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t read the other replies to this yet... I’m probably just repeating by now : )

That is absolutely normal behavior for a Foxface. They are kind of lil wimps.. the color change is just a camouflage technique they have. Mine did the same exact thing. These guys stress out easily. Give him time. As long as nothing in your tank is trying to eat him, he will be okay... and he will,eat anything and everything you feed him : ) ...or her lol

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t read the other replies to this yet... I’m probably just repeating by now : )

That is absolutely normal behavior for a Foxface. They are kind of lil wimps.. the color change is just a camouflage technique they have. Mine did the same exact thing. These guys stress out easily. Give him time. As long as nothing in your tank is trying to eat him, he will be okay... and he will,eat anything and everything you feed him : ) ...or her lol
Thanks everyone for all the quick replies. I love this community already. His or her color is normal again and the tang keeps going to visit him/her like “hey come out and swim with me”.. I love saltwater fish. They are the best to watch. The breathing is slowed way down, color normal, and moving around more.. I saw him/her peck at something on a rock.. all good signs.. wow. I’d never seen a fish stress out like that before.. crazy... the tang looks like a veteran resident lol.

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the quick replies. I love this community already. His or her color is normal again and the tang keeps going to visit him/her like “hey come out and swim with me”.. I love saltwater fish. They are the best to watch. The breathing is slowed way down, color normal, and moving around more.. I saw him/her peck at something on a rock.. all good signs.. wow. I’d never seen a fish stress out like that before.. crazy... the tang looks like a veteran resident lol.
Mine freaked me out too when I brought him home. I grabbed my net twice to fish him out, thinking he was dead... now: ) he is friends with everyone in my tank : ) ...and you are right, I love watching the social interactions of my fish. There are real relationships in my tank : )

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. foxy isn’t out yet but wayyy better.. color consistently “normal” and just chilling in the corner area I made by the overflow.. it’s perfect actually... large area and set secluded.. the tang is going in every 30 seconds and checking on foxy and trying to lure her out.. like “hey it’s ok out here come with me”... so amazing to watch.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps: the tang has single handedly cleaned all of the green hair algae off of two large rocks near the overflow in the space of two hours.. and was just added to the tank.. lol. What a great member.

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. foxy isn’t out yet but wayyy better.. color consistently “normal” and just chilling in the corner area I made by the overflow.. it’s perfect actually... large area and set secluded.. the tang is going in every 30 seconds and checking on foxy and trying to lure her out.. like “hey it’s ok out here come with me”... so amazing to watch.
I may have missed it.. how big is your tank? ...how big is the Foxface?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back