Foxface hiding in corner changing colors after adding to tank

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg the sailfin is down there with him sort of comforting him or something and his color looks better.. wow. What a great tang. My first two salt water fish in 13 years so I’m tripping a little lol.

Amazing isn't it. My previous yellow tang was the peacekeeper & caregiver especially with my foxy..... I MISS THEM SO MUCH!!!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think of my fox face like the cowardly lion in the wizard of oz!
Tangs and rabbit fish generally get on well, mine hangs out with my two scopas tangs a lot.

DSC_0003 (1024x689).jpg

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think of my fox face like the cowardly lion in the wizard of oz!
Tangs and rabbit fish generally get on well, mine hangs out with my two scopas tangs a lot.

DSC_0003 (1024x689).jpg
Yeah im looking to get a Tomini and maybe a blue also... lots of tangs. :)

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few hours later still see them together grazing algae on the rocks... so cool. I’m so tempted to just stare at the tank but I’m reeling that in a bit so they can chill together and graze ... foxy did hide in a lot of interesting places last night and today this morning but getting much more comfortable with her surroundings.. I guess I’m calling both of them hers.. naming the tang Beverly and the foxface Foxy... I know really original lol.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few of these, normal ....
They speak tang apparently and will school or interact with your sailfin

LOL! yeah I guess so.. These two are now inseparable. I just fed the tank one frozen cube, probably too much, but they ate like crazy but stuck together the whole time.

Looking at those pics again... I have a wicked bad case of diatoms... just gotta wait that out from everything i have read... off topic but just on my mind. hah.

Tomorrow I am going to vivid aquariums in the valley and picking up some cleaner shrimp and maybe a pair of clowns or a blenny and six line wrasse combo.. a pair of smaller fish.. going to stop there for a few weeks because of the big bump in bio-load.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short vid i shot of them today...

The foxface really knows when you’re looking at her.. she hides a lot.. but that will pass with time.. thanks for all of the replies and information everyone! Have a super weekend !!

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t read the entire thread but I put a fox face in my tank a couple of weeks ago and he did the same thing. Changing colour, hiding, moving to the corner. He doesn’t do it as much now but is still a bit skiddish. That said he eats like crazy and seems heathy.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t read the entire thread but I put a fox face in my tank a couple of weeks ago and he did the same thing. Changing colour, hiding, moving to the corner. He doesn’t do it as much now but is still a bit skiddish. That said he eats like crazy and seems heathy.

hah. Seems par for the course from everyone’s replies.. cool deal. These two are going crazy on my algae... just what the dr ordered. :)

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you’ll get lucky and yours will be sociable. Maybe yours will be like mine. I don’t think anyone would ever know I had a foxface in my tank. It is the most skittish fish I have ever had. If mine detects the slightest movement outside the tank, it freezes and looks like a bruised banana. Then it darts behind the rocks. Been that way for 4 years. I keep hoping it’ll get over the skittishness, but it hasn’t yet and I suspect at this point it won’t.

So hopefully you have better luck than me.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you’ll get lucky and yours will be sociable. Maybe yours will be like mine. I don’t think anyone would ever know I had a foxface in my tank. It is the most skittish fish I have ever had. If mine detects the slightest movement outside the tank, it freezes and looks like a bruised banana. Then it darts behind the rocks. Been that way for 4 years. I keep hoping it’ll get over the skittishness, but it hasn’t yet and I suspect at this point it won’t.

So hopefully you have better luck than me.
It’s acting like that now.. hopefully it gets more sociable... fingers crossed.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning things are good.. both are out with only indirect lighting from the sun reflecting off a wall.. it lights the tank up well from 8:30am until about 10am... I did a 10g water change to remove some nitrates which are we’re at 10, amon 0 and nitrite 0... last night I had a tiny amon spoke to .25 but the bacteria did their job well overnight. I’m walking by the tank a bit and the foxface is not running and hiding .... I want her to get used to me walking around and stuff ... im not over doing it but just not avoiding the tank ... I had to test water today so was around the tank for that and she seemed pretty ok. Just going going to take it one day at a time. :)

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added kole tang today and two fire shrimp, 15 astraea snails, and three little conches ... all of them are doing great. I’ll pause here on adding stuff... the foxface is doing so well... the kole joined the crew really nicely and they’re like the three amigos now... I’m super happy. Yay. My water is cloudy I think from them pecking on the rocks constantly..
0638A05A-1B41-43D6-983E-C9DC9BCCE38A.jpeg

CAE1D524-B437-4BA3-91D1-9E6D97C1F822.jpeg

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some decent video just now... my water is a bit cloudy.. I think because they’re pecking at the rocks constantly... ? It was totally clear before I added them.. hmm.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the New Fish. It's nice to see how much you enjoy them, and I take note that you also worry when they look stressed.

If you enjoy those 3 fish that you added to a Fairly new tank, and you are lucky enought that they don't get sick with anything......
Consider in the future when you get the itch to add more fish, which will probably come sooner than later.....to start doing QT on your next fish before adding to your Safe Disease Free Tank. To protect the fish in your Tank.

Nothing is worse for me the seeing fish get sick and slowly die.

I know it's tough to make the effort of doing QT.
I've been lucky for years. Over a two decades....then one day I added just one more...it brought in Velvet and wiped out all my Fish Tank Buddies, including my best buddy a tang that was with me for over ten years, thru all the good times and bad times.

Just trying to save you the pain I went thru....and to ensure your Happiness continues.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back