Foxface in QT

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a one spot foxface last Friday and he has been in my qt tank since. I don't have any medication in there yet because I was wanting to make sure that he was eating before adding copper.
I love foxfaces but I hate how skittish they are. I'm unaware if he is eating because anytime I get near the tank to add food he instantly hides and changes into his stressed coloration. I've just been dropping the food in and leaving the room hoping he is eating.
Other than setting up a camera, which I can do but I'll have to go buy an one does anyone have any other trick for me to see if he is eating?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a one spot foxface last Friday and he has been in my qt tank since. I don't have any medication in there yet because I was wanting to make sure that he was eating before adding copper.
I love foxfaces but I hate how skittish they are. I'm unaware if he is eating because anytime I get near the tank to add food he instantly hides and changes into his stressed coloration. I've just been dropping the food in and leaving the room hoping he is eating.
Other than setting up a camera, which I can do but I'll have to go buy an one does anyone have any other trick for me to see if he is eating?
is there food leftover or in filter? is it as much as you dropped in? that can help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You can medicate safely with ruby rally pro and for camera, set your phone on video mode, drop a tiny bit of food and walk away- you Must walk away
Return about 20-30 minutes later and review video
You will know then if it eats

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there food leftover or in filter? is it as much as you dropped in? that can help
I'm adding a small amount of food and I'm honestly not sure if it is left in the tank or not. I tried adding nori on a veggie clip to see if when I came back there were bites taken out. It was smaller but I'm not sure if it's because he ate some or just because it started to fall apart in the water.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can medicate safely with ruby rally pro and for camera, set your phone on video mode, drop a tiny bit of food and walk away- you Must walk away
Return about 20-30 minutes later and review video
You will know then if it eats
Wow I'm not sure why, but I never even considered setting up my phone to record him then just play the video back later.
Thanks for the tip I can easily do that when I feed him this evening.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I'm not sure why, but I never even considered setting up my phone to record him then just play the video back later.
Thanks for the tip I can easily do that when I feed him this evening.
I thought you meant Phone when you said camera. You dont need a dedicated camera for aquarium unless you are doing some pro work

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface are such drama queens for sure. Mine does the same crap, but the second I walk away and peek around the corner, there is he stuffing his face. :p

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, I don't believe there are issues with feeding medicated foods that are somewhat broad spectrum while doing QT. (I.E. Metroplex W Focus, I dont think garlic guard does anything)

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you meant Phone when you said camera. You dont need a dedicated camera for aquarium unless you are doing some pro work
No I actually meant a cheap indoor security camera that I could remotely watch. I have been considering adding a Webcam to my tank/equipment anyway so I may still get one, but in the mean time I don't know why I didn't think of just recording it on my phone.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface are such drama queens for sure. Mine does the same crap, but the second I walk away and peek around the corner, there is he stuffing his face. :p
I tried watching him from around the corner but once he gets spooked he stays stays that for a while. When I first enter the room I can see him swimming around but just as soon as he sees me he changes color and hides and stays that way for a while.

I considering taking what I learned from video games as a kid and going all "Metal Gear Solid" on him
giphy - 2021-12-07T145827.985.gif

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried watching him from around the corner but once he gets spooked he stays stays that for a while. When I first enter the room I can see him swimming around but just as soon as he sees me he changes color and hides and stays that way for a while.

I considering taking what I learned from video games as a kid and going all "Metal Gear Solid" on him
giphy - 2021-12-07T145827.985.gif
Fish? FISH?! FIIIIIISHHH?!?!

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I didn't have to hide in a cardboard box. This time when I dumped food in the tank the foxface's hunger strike ended (if there was one to start with)
giphy - 2021-12-07T192215.034.gif

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I didn't have to hide in a cardboard box. This time when I dumped food in the tank the foxface's hunger strike ended (if there was one to start with)
giphy - 2021-12-07T192215.034.gif
He wanted to distract you from Liquid Snake

sidenote: does anyone know how fox faces change color? Is it structural or with actual pigment?

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ironically there is another thread I was posting on where someone mentioned it and we kinda took over the thread talking about U of M. I wish it would've been here so it was at least a thread I started instead of doing it on someone else's.

giphy - 2021-12-10T111014.142.gif

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ironically there is another thread I was posting on where someone mentioned it and we kinda took over the thread talking about U of M. I wish it would've been here so it was at least a thread I started instead of doing it on someone else's.

giphy - 2021-12-10T111014.142.gif
Guess where I was on November 27th

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big House?
I've been a fan since I was a little kid and I'm almost embarrassed to admit I've never been to a game. I talk about going to a game every season but I never end up going.
And on the field when it was over!
Screenshot_20211206-170116_Messages.jpg

I've been a few times. This time was an energy le never before though

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back