Foxface Rabbitfish Interest

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I love Foxface Rabbitfish' and I've read up a lot about them but I'd like to know a bit more about them specifically like their:

Care Level:
Temperament:
Diet: (Type of meats or brands of food)
Reef Compatible:
Max Size:
Minimum Tank Size:
Water Conditions:
Compatibility With What Other Aquarium Fish:

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the basic stuff you can see on like live aquaria, I loved mine. Pretty easy going fish as far as temperament and compatibility goes. Mine ate anything I fed. Nori, mysis, pellets, flakes, algea, anything. Shrimp and other invertebrates were safe. Only thing to watch is they can sometimes decide to eat various types of lps, mine didnt but I've heard of them going after acans and maybe zoanthids

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the basic stuff you can see on like live aquaria, I loved mine. Pretty easy going fish as far as temperament and compatibility goes. Mine ate anything I fed. Nori, mysis, pellets, flakes, algea, anything. Shrimp and other invertebrates were safe. Only thing to watch is they can sometimes decide to eat various types of lps, mine didnt but I've heard of them going after acans and maybe zoanthids
Awesome! tysm for the help

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know by any chance if you can keep a foxface with fish like blue tangs and yellow tangs because idk if you can seen as YT and FF are pretty similar looking?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Foxface. Mine have always eaten anything thrown in the tank, and have always been great algae eaters. The only "coral" mine have ever eaten where some gorgonians.

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Foxface. Mine have always eaten anything thrown in the tank, and have always been great algae eaters. The only "coral" mine have ever eaten where some gorgonians.
ah great! thank you!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know by any chance if you can keep a foxface with fish like blue tangs and yellow tangs because idk if you can seen as YT and FF are pretty similar looking?

I kept a FF with a YT for over three years without issue. They would still be together if not for a hurricane. Actually the FF is the first fish I replaced post Irma.

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fox faces have poisonous spines they use for their protection so they hold their own. Only thing a foxface will usually fight with is another foxface

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just recently added a one spot to my tank
e38218638803ff4b6f2575b1109ca341.jpg

I had already had a yellow tang for about 2 months.
b22c991fcec75388059b8a880db76378.jpg

The tang was not happy!

For the first few days it’s fins were up and kept charging the foxface.

The foxface would raise his spines and angle itself towards the tang.

The foxface never ran or cowered. Kinda took it in stride.

If it was stressed it didn’t show it.

Now, 10 days later the tang has backed off quite a bit but still makes a run at it every now and then.

The foxface doesn’t bother anyone else.

If I had to do it again, I would have used an acclimation box.

Or add the foxface first!

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently added a one spot to my tank
e38218638803ff4b6f2575b1109ca341.jpg

I had already had a yellow tang for about 2 months.
b22c991fcec75388059b8a880db76378.jpg

The tang was not happy!

For the first few days it’s fins were up and kept charging the foxface.

The foxface would raise his spines and angle itself towards the tang.

The foxface never ran or cowered. Kinda took it in stride.

If it was stressed it didn’t show it.

Now, 10 days later the tang has backed off quite a bit but still makes a run at it every now and then.

The foxface doesn’t bother anyone else.

If I had to do it again, I would have used an acclimation box.

Or add the foxface first!
tysm!

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine at PetCo on sale about a month ago. I have a QT tank 30Gallon that I kept him in for about a week to observe. He was extremely unhappy, changed colors, wouldn't come out, etc, for about 2 days, then he started hanging out and being social, he's come out when I'd turn on my basement lights, and he started feeding well. I only use my QT to monitor when getting new fish, I don't treat for anything unless I see a real need, its really just to isolate and observe, make sure they're feeding etc. So after that period I transferred him up to the Display tank. I did it after my lights had gone into moon cycle mode, and a feeding had been done, he was really unhappy all night, was hiding and kept color changed to unhappy mode. But in the morning, he was all normal, came to feed with everyone else and has been a model fish ever since. He's in with 2 tangs, 2 anenemones, tons of coral and doesn't bother anyone, or anything. I occasionally see him flash his spines, but nothing happens afterwards, I'm really happy with him and enjoy seeing him every day.

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine, great algae eater, peaceful with his tank mates and coral but such a spaz sometimes. He turns camo colored and zips around like he's about to be eaten! Most of the time he's chill though.

gFLEyUql.jpg

You see this? Tossed him in there after the cycle finished he ate ALL of it. Didn't feed him to two weeks! He's actually in this picture somewhere...

sM5GbXgl.jpg

Two weeks later...
SUDR40Fl.jpg

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Fox face follows my Yellow Tang everywhere. They are like best buddies searching for algae.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole tang followed our foxface lo around like a lost puppy. I think all rabbitfish are bi-polar with an anxiety disorder though, lol.

Ours thinks my hand has food even if I'm moving things around and makes me a little nervous if he were to jump wrong, but he's an eating machine so always ready to inspect for food.

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine at PetCo on sale about a month ago. I have a QT tank 30Gallon that I kept him in for about a week to observe. He was extremely unhappy, changed colors, wouldn't come out, etc, for about 2 days, then he started hanging out and being social, he's come out when I'd turn on my basement lights, and he started feeding well. I only use my QT to monitor when getting new fish, I don't treat for anything unless I see a real need, its really just to isolate and observe, make sure they're feeding etc. So after that period I transferred him up to the Display tank. I did it after my lights had gone into moon cycle mode, and a feeding had been done, he was really unhappy all night, was hiding and kept color changed to unhappy mode. But in the morning, he was all normal, came to feed with everyone else and has been a model fish ever since. He's in with 2 tangs, 2 anenemones, tons of coral and doesn't bother anyone, or anything. I occasionally see him flash his spines, but nothing happens afterwards, I'm really happy with him and enjoy seeing him every day.

Awesome tysm! I actually went to a saltwater store and saw one today, he was stunning [emoji7]

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine, great algae eater, peaceful with his tank mates and coral but such a spaz sometimes. He turns camo colored and zips around like he's about to be eaten! Most of the time he's chill though.

gFLEyUql.jpg

You see this? Tossed him in there after the cycle finished he ate ALL of it. Didn't feed him to two weeks! He's actually in this picture somewhere...

sM5GbXgl.jpg

Two weeks later...
SUDR40Fl.jpg

Woah that’s flipping amazing I’m definitely getting one for all the algae [emoji7][emoji7]

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole tang followed our foxface lo around like a lost puppy. I think all rabbitfish are bi-polar with an anxiety disorder though, lol.

Ours thinks my hand has food even if I'm moving things around and makes me a little nervous if he were to jump wrong, but he's an eating machine so always ready to inspect for food.

Bless, thats so cute [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back