Foxface Reef Safe?

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who had their foxface eat corals, did they readily eat other food that was offered? I'm just curious if they only started eating the corals due to lack of food. I had that issue with a copperband once and it started eating corals after not eating anything for weeks, and I can't say as I blame it for eating coral when it was starving to death.

Is there something about Duncans that I'm not aware of that caused it to die, or was it just coincidental?
My Foxface ate mysis, Nori, anything else I offered the rest of the fish and then went rogue and added Zoas and GSP to his diet.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually surprised at how even the numbers are for whether people had issues with them or not, and it seems the ones that had issues weren't because of an under fed foxface.

Most of the other threads that I have seen seem to greatly favor them being reef safe.

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually surprised at how even the numbers are for whether people had issues with them or not, and it seems the ones that had issues weren't because of an under fed foxface.

Most of the other threads that I have seen seem to greatly favor them being reef safe.
mine foxface was never under fed, in fact, after adding the pyramid angel, they all got 5,6 feeding a day, because I was told the angel would eat corals if he got hungry.... I think those tow are just too happy together that they developed some kind of fun game between them

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had two inhabitants that were reef safe with caution in the past and both of them ended up eating corals. I think that is why I'm so leary of adding a foxface although I really do like them.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who had their foxface eat corals, did they readily eat other food that was offered? I'm just curious if they only started eating the corals due to lack of food. I had that issue with a copperband once and it started eating corals after not eating anything for weeks, and I can't say as I blame it for eating coral when it was starving to death.

Is there something about Duncans that I'm not aware of that caused it to die, or was it just coincidental?
Mine was very well fed... so much that my po4/no3 were out of control for a bit. I was told to keep him well fed to avoid any interest in coral. He ate everything I offered... including the coral.
The only positive thing was that he didn't go for torches... had he done so, it would have been fried fish night!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had two inhabitants that were reef safe with caution in the past and both of them ended up eating corals. I think that is why I'm so leary of adding a foxface although I really do like them.
It would be nice if you can find a proven reef safe fox face. I have one and the bubble algae is kept away nicely after adding him(her? -never asked the fish about preferred pronouns)

Same story with filefish- some eat glass anemones while many don’t. They may eat lps or not and they don’t come with any long term guarantee.

Ive torn apart my tank to catch Flame angelfish, filefish, butterfly fish and others when their appetizer choices changed.

I have also observed posting behaviors and like me people will chime in when they want to warn others a lot more reliably than when they are not alarmed. This could bias this poll on the Devil Foxface towards the caution side. That said, I’d get one if you like them. They do have a good track record for being reef safe in my experience. If I am wrong I can’t help you catch it but I can tell you how easy fish are to catch after you drain the tank.

hth. Just wanted to tip the scale for you.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be nice if you can find a proven reef safe fox face. I have one and the bubble algae is kept away nicely after adding him(her? -never asked the fish about preferred pronouns)

Same story with filefish- some eat glass anemones while many don’t. They may eat lps or not and they don’t come with any long term guarantee.

Ive torn apart my tank to catch Flame angelfish, filefish, butterfly fish and others when their appetizer choices changed.

I have also observed posting behaviors and like me people will chime in when they want to warn others a lot more reliably than when they are not alarmed. This could bias this poll on the Devil Foxface towards the caution side. That said, I’d get one if you like them. They do have a good track record for being reef safe in my experience. If I am wrong I can’t help you catch it but I can tell you how easy fish are to catch after you drain the tank.

hth. Just wanted to tip the scale for you.
I agree that people who have had issues are probably more likely to comment than those who haven't had an issue. Right after my emerald crab decided he wanted to start eating coral I made sure to mention it on any thread I saw about them, lol.

I had already decided it probably wasn't a good idea to get a foxface and here you are trying to sway me to be irresponsible. If I decide to try one I may put a temporary "cage" around the few expensive corals that I have.

Hha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For three years my fat Foxface was a model citizen. Now he chomps on everything except the GSP and Zoas. So my question is, how do I get him to EAT THE GSP?!;Hilarious
I have a pygmy file fish that wears GSP out.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME the older they get the more farsighted they are. Meaning upclose things are misinterpreted.

Old Foxfaces will eventually start eating corals that are green. Especially green zoas.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME the older they get the more farsighted they are. Meaning upclose things are misinterpreted.

Old Foxfaces will eventually start eating corals that are green. Especially green zoas.

I have read that older foxfaces were more likely to eat coral, but I have never saw an explanation of why. So I'm assuming green because they mistake it for algea?

Back