Foxface vs Tang space requirements.

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnificent Foxface is one of my favorite fish but I can't say I have had the same experience as others here. I got rid one a while back because it was harassing a female Bellus angelfish. Also they have been known to eat Zoas from time to time. My 2 cents from 15 years of reefing. All that said I plan to try a Mag Foxface again when I setup my new tank.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote Tomini tang over FoxFace. lol

I was recently looking at getting a foxface for algae cleanup and ultimately decided on a tomini tang instead.
no regrets.

The tomini tang grows slow, and stays smaller than any foxface. compared to most tangs, a tomini is not a big swimmer and doesn't need a lot of swimming room or even a big tank. My tomini spends all day picking/grazing rockwork. I've never seen it pace or swim back and forth, ever. and above all, it gets along great with all my fish. no aggression at all. Tomini's don't even have the typical caudal spine/spike at the base of the tail like most tangs, so they have no weapons either. Very nice, peaceful, utility fish.

Saying that, I still like foxfaces and will probably end up getting one at some point too. haha.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6AEF32B6-BC6E-42C3-8B8E-8C823E813858.jpeg
F78B0E2F-39E4-42B4-A5CA-ADC1D64A9BF2.jpeg

Always have a spot for a foxface and always have room for a bristletooth. Neither bother any other fish but could be because I have other bigger bullies. Foxface won’t bully any other fish though.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface (on my avatar) eats all kind of algae, is peaceful and swims all over the entire tank. Mine was very small and grew quite fast when very young, then its growth slowed down. He Is very easy to take care off. At first I was scared to put my hands in the tank, but I realised that he is not aggressive at all and now I am quite confortable puting my hand in. He comes close to my scrapper when I clean the tank and catches all the little piece of algae being scrapped of the glass. I feed him Nori daily.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really cute. How long have you had him and how big is he?
He/she is around 6 or 7 inches. It is the biggest fish in my tank. I have him for probably 5 or 6 years.
the second biggest fish is a hippo tang (Dory) I have for 2 years. It must be 5 or 6 inches. That one is starting to show he wants to be the boss. It was so small and skittish before, but now his attitude is changing. Not aggressive, but does not let the other fish push him around, and sometimes even make them go out of his way.
My tank is 125 G, but it is long and narrow, so 72"x18".

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back