Frag Rocks and Racks

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So I’m thinking it’s time I get a frag rock as well as a frag rack (saw something at the LFS that looked cool (it was monti encrusted at the end that couldn’t go anywhere besides tank glass)

Anyway, I see there are lots of options for both. I need a frag rock for my sand dwellers as they keep getting pushed around by my conchs and I would like a frag rack for new frags while I decide where I want them that the urchin won’t pick up and toss…hopefully). What is everyone’s preferred brand or system. Don’t need anything huge. I literally have 3 frags on the sandbed that need a rock (can be close together) and only need maybe 6-10 holes for the rack.

I’ve done the egg crate thing for my tank downstairs but want something that looks a little classier for the display

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone,

So I’m thinking it’s time I get a frag rock as well as a frag rack (saw something at the LFS that looked cool (it was monti encrusted at the end that couldn’t go anywhere besides tank glass)

Anyway, I see there are lots of options for both. I need a frag rock for my sand dwellers as they keep getting pushed around by my conchs and I would like a frag rack for new frags while I decide where I want them that the urchin won’t pick up and toss…hopefully). What is everyone’s preferred brand or system. Don’t need anything huge. I literally have 3 frags on the sandbed that need a rock (can be close together) and only need maybe 6-10 holes for the rack.

I’ve done the egg crate thing for my tank downstairs but want something that looks a little classier for the display
You can choose a rock and drill a hole for the frag. Or - you can choose a rock and glue the frag to it. I do not like the plastic frag racks in a display. My guess is that a plastic one would be pushed around by your sand dwellers as well.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that for the sandbed in the past I've drilled holes in base rock pieces. For the normal frag rack I use a "Reefing Art" rack that I bought off of Amazon. I like it but there is nothing preventing your urchin from removing the frags. I know there are brands that have little rubber insert in the holes to help grab the plug but right off I don't remember what brand.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a plastic purple frag rock made by Reef Rax from BRS. I think it looks pretty decent and once coralline and/or corals encrust on it I doubt I'll even notice that it's not actual rock. I got it for the same reason as you, my pistol shrimp tends to steal any frags off my sandbed, so I needed something more sturdy that he couldn't move around. The frag rock seems to be doing the trick.

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that for the sandbed in the past I've drilled holes in base rock pieces. For the normal frag rack I use a "Reefing Art" rack that I bought off of Amazon. I like it but there is nothing preventing your urchin from removing the frags. I know there are brands that have little rubber insert in the holes to help grab the plug but right off I don't remember what brand.
Fiji Cube uses those inserts and the rack is very sleek.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Reef Art Mag reef rack that is double sided. One side no frag holes and the other side is without holes. The rack actually looks nice and blends in with the reef rocks. The web photo makes it appear to be purple but it is 50% purple and 50% brown

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiji Cube uses those inserts and the rack is very sleek.
Apparently IceCap does too. After mentioning it I looked them up on BRS I just forgot to post on here.
I've never used them and have no idea if the work well enough to stop a urchin from picking them up.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have extra magnets you can make ones that attatch to the glass like Tunze.
I used dead live rock and it turned out ok. Still have not mounted anything to it as the frag I ordered for it came in 4 days later and dead.
20211017_121349.jpg
20211101_104804.jpg

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently IceCap does too. After mentioning it I looked them up on BRS I just forgot to post on here.
I've never used them and have no idea if the work well enough to stop a urchin from picking them up.
It takes a little wiggling for me to get my frags out of the FijiCube rack, so I doubt an urchin can do it.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, it’s funny, I have plenty of spare rock and never thought to just drill it

That said, I’ll take a look at the racks mentioned too

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL Just drill it :):):):):):):).

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm happy with these. They get coralline coated and blend in on sand bed.
ReefCreators 5 Reef Rock Frag Stations That Hold 23 Frag Plugs Total Frag Station Bundle (Includes 23 Plugs)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back