Frag Tank Build Questions

DrumsIguanasAndNowReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 1, 2018
Messages
36
Reaction score
7
Location
Houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a frag tank for lps and softies in the near future and need some help sorting out my ideas. If I do add any sps it would be easier stuff like birdsnest and monti caps. I have two major directions I'm considering. Ideally I'd like to spend as little as possible to increase the likely hood of turning a profit.

1. A 30g breeder with no sump, hob filter filled with lr/filter floss and a hob refugium with lr and cheato. I would use something like a current orbit or other similar cheap led. I have a bh-90 skimmer but I'm sure that would be overkill.

2. A Zoo Med low boy 50 gallon "48 x 24" x 10" with the bh-90 skimmer and the power filter with live rock as well as some in the tank. With this build I am open to getting a hob overflow box and putting a 30 gallon sump on it if people think it is advantageous to replace the power filter and house the live rock in. Lighting I am still up in the air about.

Specific Questions
1. How much live rock should I add to a frag tank
2. Do I really need a skimmer? I already own it so why not?
3. Would people recommend the sump for the zoo med tank?
4. What should I use to light the zoo med? I'm considering an 8 bulb t5 but I'm worried I'll have too much part for softies and lps.
5. I've heard pure blue t5 bulbs produce less par, could I do 6 blue and two white bulbs?

Thanks in advance, I know it's a lot to read.
 
Do the lowboy and drill it and plumb it. overflow boxes are just a ticking time bomb...
You don't really need a skimmer but it is great to help keep the system clean.
I have 2 lowboys and a 40 connected up and use about 1/3 of a 40 breeder for live rock.
LPS softie tank 4 bulb hydroponic light with 3 blue+ and 1 coral plus, under 100 bucks for the light, plus blub cost they usually come with 6500k bulbs
 
I want the lowboy lol, the extra 3 1/2 SQ feet means so many more frags. I'm not crazy about the idea of drilling it myself but I don't want problems later.

Will 4 bulbs provide enough coverage to the tank? I'd like a range of 80ish to 200 so I can have a good variety of corals and experiment with the lighting.
 
I just want a zoa/GSP/Xenia and torch growing machine. I live next to Houston and people are ways buying those
 
Yes 4 bulb will be plenty for all that at least with the bulb combo I mentioned. Mine is packed full of LPS acan hammers fungia plates torch. Some zoas prefer high light and color up a lot better but some lower, I keep some in my sps system as they like the flow and higher light. You can also add on a blue led strip like a reefbreeders lumen bar to give it some more pop or for evening viewing

Also drilling is super easy dont over think this anyone can do it. Buy one of those $3 diamond bits off of ebay used many of them and drilled many many tanks over the years
 
Last edited:


Quick clip quality will be better soon just put on youtube
 
Thank you for the help, this is exactly the info I was looking for. I will definitely be going with a 4 bulb fixture.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new