Frag tank drain question.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im adding a 40g frag tank onto my 75g display. Not sure how I want to do the drain into my sump. Simple single bulkhead in the back and a single drain line into the sump with a gate vale to tune it some. Or spend more and have more drain lines by going with an Eclipse S overflow. More drain lines means less space in my sump and I dont have much.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im adding a 40g frag tank onto my 75g display. Not sure how I want to do the drain into my sump. Simple single bulkhead in the back and a single drain line into the sump with a gate vale to tune it some. Or spend more and have more drain lines by going with an Eclipse S overflow. More drain lines means less space in my sump and I dont have much.
I have a 50 lowboy that I will be installing in a corner of my fishroom 4 feet away from my sump.

I’ll be drilling two holes for bulkheads and standpipes for drains, one pipe (1”) set just above the height of the main drain (3/4”) for a safety. I dont see the need to go full 3 channel, 2 safety BA on my frag tank. Main drain will have a gate valve to match incoming 3/4” line from a 400gph pump dedicated to frag tank input (will also be gated). I don’t like manifolds.

I chose 2 drains based on several YouTube videos of plumbed in 50lowboys only having 1 drain and being issue free. Figure if I’m twice as safe as a YouTube, I’m good.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single one inch drain and 3/4" return on my frag tank, but I agree that two drains would be safer. My return pump is a Jebao/Jecod DCS-1200 DC which I have placed higher in the sump than the return pump for the display. This way if anything happens to plug frag drain, the frag return pump will start sucking air since the water level in the sump will drop, and the frag tank won't overflow. Not ideal, but it works.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back