frag tank plumbed into main sump

  • Thread starter Thread starter wsoldier
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

wsoldier

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 11, 2018
Messages
410
Reaction score
84
Location
Los Angeles (Burbank)
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Working with a running RSR 350 V3 (73G+sump) and I'm trying to add a 20G long aqueon for a frag tank to the system. I was planning a 3/4" return line and 2 x 1" drain lines. The issue is that cabinet for the RSR350 has a pretty tight cutout which is blocked by the existing plumbing lines. I can fit 3/4" lines in between the display lines, but 1" may not be possible and certainly not two of them.

I also was planning on running a T connector from my existing COR15 return pump, so that cabinet cutout is already getting tight.

If I run a single larger drain pipe and smaller 3/4" lines from that for the drains, I lose the ability to determine if my emergency drain is being used. Any suggestions? Thanks.

1660084579704.png

Rough sketch of what I'm attempting:
1660084527995.png
 
Others may disagree, but I would drill the back of the stand to create a pass through. This is what I have done on my 750XXL.
 
Thanks @Montiman. Yeah I was hoping to avoid that, but it crossed my mind as well. I'm also not sure where it'd be safe to drill. Did you create the passthrough with the tank full or before, and where was the location?

I also considered 1/2" return line and 2 x 3/4" drains, but not sure how restrictive that is for flow in a tank.
 
Has anyone done a 1/2" return line and 3/4" drain lines on a smaller tank? Or do the rain lines need to be larger still?
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new